HGV Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
    It's not how heavy it is it is what it is plated at. and a arctic cab is a class 2 lorry whithout a trailor unless you de rated it.

We derated 16 t lorries to 12 ton to beat the london smoke free zone it's only a piece of paper

you can also get 7.5 t lorries bigger than 10t lorries (it's all b@llocks)
    So everyone was correct You could de register the Artic meaning it was no longer a towing truck and away you go.
    Brian

Comment

Makes you wonder how some of these discussions get going don't it.

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        So everyone was correct You could de register the Artic meaning it was no longer a towing truck and away you go.
        Not actully looked into that specific conversion, but in theory yes the licences goes by weight carrying capabilities, what it is plated at Not the size of the vehicle
        www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
          Makes you wonder how some of these discussions get going don't it.
          Has your aviator not expired matt?
          www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Has your aviator not expired matt?
            Yeah, but I've grown quite attached to it, hence the reticence to ditch it.

Comment

Not actully looked into that specific conversion, but in theory yes the licences goes by weight carrying capabilities, what it is plated at Not the size of the vehicle
              Wait till the wife sees the new weekend run around

Brian

Comment

Very nice
                www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Comment

unit alone would weigh around 9ton... plated (unit) at 18 or 26 ton.

train weight varies... depending what wheel and MGW you have, you can get cheaper tax... we used to have a bloke with a 4 wheel unit that could only pull 3 axle trailers MGW of 26 ton... but only paid about £150 a year tax...
                    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i may be talking bollox here,but when i did my hgv fitter appreticeship many year ago,i seem to remember one of the ministry guys saying you could drive a tractor unit on a normal licence if you de-rate it and removed the fith wheel coupling.how true that is or was at the time i have no idea.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Chris Eubank drives a kenworth about, has he taken his HGV then,?

That trucks BDT's wet dream Yoshie
                        Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

I think I remember reading that Chris Eubank drove his Peterbilt truck on a car licence, must be the derated then.
                          Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
                            Need a debate settled. Can you drive an Artic cab on a car license

Just to chuck something else in the pot

There is a exhibition wagon around here, which a transit style chassis cab pulling an enclosed large trailer..........its an Artic with a 5th wheel style pin and I'm sure you could drive the cab on a car license, maybe even the whole rig if you had a 7.5T car license
                            I Love Wales

Comment

Years ago you could drive a TRACTOR UNIT on a Class 111 HGV Licence.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                              (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                                I think I remember reading that Chris Eubank drove his Peterbilt truck on a car licence, must be the derated then.
                                just behind that is one of our tow trucks,he has done hgv test now,and in theory u could drive tractor unit on car license,but u aint ever gonna find a proper one under 7.5t,unless u get one of those weird ldv,transits made to look like one

Comment

Working...
                                X