No it's still plated by wieght
    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Cheers Tiger
      Brian

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        Need a debate settled. Can you drive an Artic cab on a car license
        think you can if it on private road or yard but not main highway although you use to be able to drive a coach on main road with normal car license as long as you wasnt carry paying passengers. its one of those weird questions m8

Comment

Originally posted by pirate-storm View Post
          think you can if it on private road or yard but not main highway although you use to be able to drive a coach on main road with normal car license as long as you wasnt carry paying passengers. its one of those weird questions m8
          No it isn't weird. They are merely mistaken. An artic requires a HGV licence. A <3.5? tonne vehicle can be driven provided you hold a class C+D? licence, which was standard issue to all drivers up until the late nineties, I believe, but is now no longer so.

Edit: Btw, the above is from vague memory, so the exact specifics may differ somewhat.

Comment

I thought it was 7.5 ton limit matt?
            Brian

Comment

I thought it was 7.5 ton limit matt?
              That's why I just added the edit to my post. I know my memory tends to be a tad sh1te these days.

Comment

anyone who passed their test before 1st Jan 1997 can drive up to 7.5tonnes on a normal car licence. anyone who passed after that date can only drive up to 3.5tonnes and need to take the C1 LGV test to drive up to 7.5tonnes and then everyone needs to take the HGV to drive over 7.5tonnes.
                Last edited by Nikki; 8 June 2008, 23:51.

Comment

No it's been changed to 3.5t if you pass your test now you can't drive a twin wheel transit 3.5t
                  www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
                    anyone who passed their test before 1st Jan 1997 can drive up to 7.5tonnes on a normal car licence. anyone who passed after that date can only drive up to 3.5tonnes and need to take the C1 LGV test to tow up to 7.5tonnes and then everyone needs to take the HGV to tow over 7.5tonnes.
                    Not to tow to drive
                    www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger View Post
                      Not to tow to drive
                      sorry - towing on the brain. have edited original post to say drive. i'm allowed to drive a 3.5tonne renault master etc, but have to take the C1 to tow between 3.5tonnes and 7.5tonnes because i took my test after 1st Jan 1997.
                      Last edited by Nikki; 8 June 2008, 23:51.

Comment

That was the start of the debate.Then someone added well how heavy is an Artic cab and can you drive one as you have a 7.5ton license.
                        Brian

Comment

Well, at least I'd remembered a correct weight. From the wrong side of the licence changeover though.

Comment

That was the start of the debate.Then someone added well how heavy is an Artic cab and can you drive one as you have a 7.5ton license.
                            They are a totally different class of vehicle.

Comment

It's not how heavy it is it is what it is plated at. and a arctic cab is a class 2 lorry whithout a trailor unless you de rated it.

We derated 16 t lorries to 12 ton to beat the london smoke free zone it's only a piece of paper

you can also get 7.5 t lorries bigger than 10t lorries (it's all b@llocks)
                              www.cnpbetterhomes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X