Nasty accident in cornwall yesterday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache View Post
    This is the last time I'll say it. The Anti Roll Bar isn't there to stop the car rolling over, it is there to reduce body roll, primarily for the comfort of the inhabitants. It limits articulation, so to improve that for offroaders, it can be removed on the understanding that there might be an apparent change in the feel of the vehicles driving dynamics.

Your vehicle will not immediately become a danger to everyone without it, nor will bigger tyres etc etc, AS LONG AS YOU APPRECIATE THE CHANGES.

Fatfires, vehicles come out of the factory with them because Joe Public wants less body roll and generally isn't that concerned about offroad traction.

Rod.
    A rolling body must have some kinetic energy that could affect handling shurely? bit like a tanker, thats why they have baffles.
    Did I mention I have a BLUE one
    Tony

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
      A rolling body must have some kinetic energy that could affect handling shurely? bit like a tanker, thats why they have baffles.
      not a milk tanker!... hehehe!!
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

This is the last time I'll say it. The Anti Roll Bar isn't there to stop the car rolling over, it is there to reduce body roll, primarily for the comfort of the inhabitants. It limits articulation, so to improve that for offroaders, it can be removed on the understanding that there might be an apparent change in the feel of the vehicles driving dynamics.

Your vehicle will not immediately become a danger to everyone without it, nor will bigger tyres etc etc, AS LONG AS YOU APPRECIATE THE CHANGES.

Fatfires, vehicles come out of the factory with them because Joe Public wants less body roll and generally isn't that concerned about offroad traction.

Rod.
        wotever u say........i want yr stickers boss/sir lmao

Comment

Originally posted by fatfires View Post
          Yes it will have, but the difference is pretty minimal, no more (and probably less) than the sidewall flex in a big set of tyres / less than optimally matched shocks / weight from winch. I deliberately picked things that most of us have / aspire to.

You are right when you say you can probably get away with more driving errors / abuse with a standard vehicle, but enthusiasts such as we have on here will appreciate the changes they have will change the driving dynamics of the vehicle and alter their driving technique accordingly.

Thats where we came in where I saw red when people said stuff like 'removing your ARB will make you crash' / 'adding weight to the roof will make you fall over' and other things. These are not facts and should not be passed off as such.

Anyway... water, bridge and all that. Move along now... nothing to see...
          Last edited by Apache; 9 April 2008, 20:18.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Yes it will have, but the difference is pretty minimal, no more (and probably less) than the sidewall flex in a big set of tyres.
            And the ARB reduces the force by lifting the unloaded wheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Slugsie View Post
              That does look like the underside of a Surf, but it could also be a pickup - do the double-cabs have similar side-steps?
              The double cab Pick-ups definitely have a similar side step to that in picture

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                Couldn't agree more! Keeping the ARB's is one thing that was very high on my list.

Without is fine going straight but the one moment you need to swerve to avoid something....
                totally agree mate, maybe that frankin stein fella could make us some disco nexts
                JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Blimey what have I started?

I'm not exactly going to be taking my truck around the Nurburging (Thats what the other toy is for ) But I don't want to drive it like a tractor either, what worries me more is emergency situations.. a Blow out on the motorway or some idiot T boning me, even riding a sideways gradient off road..

If you are going to go over you are going to go over, I am just intregued on how much various mods alter this and how much they increase the odds of this happening.. more lift wise then roll bars....

Out of interest has anyone actually worked out how much the centre of gravity rises by say, a 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift, and some how cross referenced this with an incident/roll over angle? Obviously wider track would counter this slightly as would the grip... Just curious really. Wondering if we are talking 10% more likely to roll, 50?, twice as likely?

Either way 99% of the time my truck is a street slag/daily driver/"sensible" I still want 2+2" lift and probably 33s for the few times I get to play off road (And I'll admit I like the stance too), not sure if I can warrent muds for that 1%, but we'll see when the time comes. I need to come and play in the mud with some friendly forum folk sometime

*sorry for the ramble too much to say!
                  More Lift.
                  More Tyres.
                  More Engine.

Comment

Originally posted by Karma Supra View Post
                    Blimey what have I started?

I'm not exactly going to be taking my truck around the Nurburging (Thats what the other toy is for ) But I don't want to drive it like a tractor either, what worries me more is emergency situations.. a Blow out on the motorway or some idiot T boning me, even riding a sideways gradient off road..

If you are going to go over you are going to go over, I am just intregued on how much various mods alter this and how much they increase the odds of this happening.. more lift wise then roll bars....

Out of interest has anyone actually worked out how much the centre of gravity rises by say, a 2" suspension lift and a 2" body lift, and some how cross referenced this with an incident/roll over angle? Obviously wider track would counter this slightly as would the grip... Just curious really. Wondering if we are talking 10% more likely to roll, 50?, twice as likely?

Either way 99% of the time my truck is a street slag/daily driver/"sensible" I still want 2+2" lift and probably 33s for the few times I get to play off road (And I'll admit I like the stance too), not sure if I can warrent muds for that 1%, but we'll see when the time comes. I need to come and play in the mud with some friendly forum folk sometime

*sorry for the ramble too much to say!
                    yep
                    Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Anyone that would care to share???
                      More Lift.
                      More Tyres.
                      More Engine.

Comment

its a bit late to get to technical,but you can work it out with vector analysis(direction and magnitude),angular momentum and moments of force.you take into account redistribution of forces and these forces with respect to each other,suffice to saybelieve what you want but if you tip an un arb'd truck over your driving like a loon,you may as well drawthe conclusion that all v8 engined vehicle WILL overcome their braking system and rear end a car,

armchair science is cool,but needs to be correct for sweeping statements to hold any validity.i have had no arb's for a long time and have no issues with the way my vehicle behaves when in an extreme situation.if you feel you will have an issue,put them back on and possibly drive a smaller vehicl if it worries you that much

(should point out not you personally)
                        Last edited by gwh200; 9 April 2008, 21:52.
                        Non intercooled nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by lord lucan View Post
                          totally agree mate, maybe that frankin stein fella could make us some disco nexts
                          Well prove it then, rather than make sweeping statements? Thats all I ask. Swerving hard with big tyres (mine included before anyone takes umbridge!), the sidewalls flexing are likely to give you far more weight shift than no ARB!
                          Look at the ARB mounts next time you are under the truck. Tell me how much force you think they're gonna exert on a 2 ton truck being manouvred hard?
                          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Well prove it then, rather than make sweeping statements? Thats all I ask. Swerving hard with big tyres (mine included before anyone takes umbridge!), the sidewalls flexing are likely to give you far more weight shift than no ARB!
                            Look at the ARB mounts next time you are under the truck. Tell me how much force you think they're gonna exert on a 2 ton truck being manouvred hard?

Comment

Originally posted by gwh200 View Post
                              its a bit late to get to technical,but you can work it out with vector analysis(direction and magnitude),angular momentum and moments of force.you take into account redistribution of forces and these forces with respect to each other,suffice to saybelieve what you want but if you tip an un arb'd truck over your driving like a loon,you may as well drawthe conclusion that all v8 engined vehicle WILL overcome their braking system and rear end a car,

armchair science is cool,but needs to be correct for sweeping statements to hold any validity.i have had no arb's for a long time and have no issues with the way my vehicle behaves when in an extreme situation.if you feel you will have an issue,put them back on and possibly drive a smaller vehicl if it worries you that much

(should point out not you personally)
                              yawn, your talking out of your brown eye
                              JAP4X4PART ¬ THE BIGGEST SURF BREAKER IN THE UK ¬

Comment

Rod.
                                ...feel like GWH's alter ego!

Anyway... water, bridge and all that. Move along now... nothing to see...
                                Sounds good to me, I dont wanna cause sh!t.

Comment

Working...
                                X