recovery strops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
    You wouldn't ever need to .....................

............... or do you carry waffle boards incase there's a pothole aswell?
    Brian

Comment

I reckon that if you get so stuck that you need a load of goes with a kinetic rope to get you free, then you are either :-

a) Doing it on purpose / for the 'fun' of it
      b) Not very good at reading the ground you are driving over

Personally, I have no great interest in off road centres, and prefer green laning (and aspire to expedition type trips). I'm touching wood when I say this, but I dont forsee a situation where I will NEED that kind of recovery unless I go looking for it.

Discuss!

<edit> Another thought. If you are on a green lane, and cutting it up to the extent that you need that kind of heavy duty recovery, in the current anti-4x4 climate, it probably isn't gonna be long before the bobblehats get the lane closed with the very reasoable claim of the amount of damage we're causing.
      Last edited by Apache; 29 March 2008, 13:31.
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
        I take it you have never used one. They are as good as a winch and perfectly safe if used properly. Not withstanding the inheriant risk that comes with all recovery.
        You can't even begin to defend that statement... How can something that stores energy you have no control over be safer than a winch with a failsafe that stops as soon as you tell it to?

Both are dangerous bits of kit and you can't afford to take risks with either, but the winch is the safer of the two by a long shot, combine it with a plasma rope as opposed to a wire one and although there's still potential for something to break there's no kinetic energy stored anywhere, all the recovery gear will just fall to the floor.
        =========
        =SOLD UP!=
        =========

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          I reckon that if you get so stuck that you need a load of goes with a kinetic rope to get you free, then you are either :-

Personally, I have no great interest in off road centres, and prefer green laning (and aspire to expedition type trips). I'm touching wood when I say this, but I dont forsee a situation where I will NEED that kind of recovery unless I go looking for it.

Discuss!

<edit> Another thought. If you are on a green lane, and cutting it up to the extent that you need that kind of heavy duty recovery, in the current anti-4x4 climate, it probably isn't gonna be long before the bobblehats get the lane closed with the very reasoable claim of the amount of damage we're causing.

We are kind of limitted mate as we don't have green lanes as the bylaws are different. That's why me and smiffy are coming to Wales

That vid shows an area of Drum where you have two possible routes as I made it through the pipe that morning the easy option was for the others to follow, as we had one truck on the good side/ground. The other route was worse. Even though we have 1500 acres down on that site it still gets some real bad bits hence the need for a winch or a kerr at times.
          Brian

Comment

You can't even begin to defend that statement... How can something that stores energy you have no control over be safer than a winch with a failsafe that stops as soon as you tell it to?

Both are dangerous bits of kit and you can't afford to take risks with either, but the winch is the safer of the two by a long shot, combine it with a plasma rope as opposed to a wire one and although there's still potential for something to break there's no kinetic energy stored anywhere, all the recovery gear will just fall to the floor.

I would defend it by saying "used properly" if it is bridled and a recovery point fails the energy will disipate by the lengthing of the strope and be held from going forward backwards to far by remaining points and set up

A winch wire snapping would be scarey. now I accept a wire normally gives visual and audible tells before letting go. I would also hook a side anchor saftey line to a winch line I felt was under exsessive strain. But how many times have you seen them used wrongly? So on balance theres not much too choose
            Last edited by yoshie; 29 March 2008, 13:47.
            Brian

Comment

And our green lanes are disappearing in the night with barely a whimper. I reckon EVERYONE with a 4x4 should join GLASS. Very few do, but they're one of the few respectable oranisations defending our hobby.

Comment

Discuss!
                I do, discussed!

No, seriously. I love greenlaning, i also enjoy mudplugging at pay & play sites and so on, i keep the two separate because i don't agree with going out and churning up greenlanes in the wet. Most of the lanes round here do not have the solid rocky granite base that lanes in other areas might have. My winter offroad fix is generally pay & play sites from round about october through to april/may when the lanes begin to dry out. With the odd trip on lanes with mostly good surfaces between those dates.

I would love to do an overland trip or maybe more, but to me that would probably be a once in a lifetime experience lasting several weeks/months.

In terms of offroading i aspire to some form of competition, and at present winch challenges are what appeals most. The ultimate aspiration being to take part in the ladoga trophy or malaysian rainforest challenge or something along those lines.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

I would defend it by saying "used properly" if it is bridled and a recovery point fails the energy will disipate by the lengthing of the strope and be held from going forward backwards to far by remaining points and set up
                  Does that depend on where the bridle / recovery point fails though? What if the kerr can come off the bridle? Mind you, having said that, the kerr sliding along 4m of bridle will take a lot of the energy out just through friction, even if it can come off the end.

Comment

Nero, yeah. Competition would increse the interest of driving round and round a muddy field but I reckon the 4x4 type competition I'd like to get involved in (money allowing!) would be Baja style racing / hilly rallying.

Comment

Nero, yeah. Competition would increse the interest of driving round and round a muddy field but I reckon the 4x4 type competition I'd like to get involved in (money allowing!) would be Baja style racing / hilly rallying.

Yep that or rock crawling some of that must be heart in mouth stuff.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 29 March 2008, 13:55.
                      Brian

Comment

if you're using a bridle and a snatch strap/kinetic rope DON'T shackle the KERR to the bridle, if anything gives the shackle stays on the end of the KERR and rockets straight along the line of the recovery, ie through the rear window of the recovery vehicle, and quite possibly out the front one aswell if it manages to miss everything in the vehicle which would be the preferable result bearing in mind there's at least one person in the vehicle.

By using a bridle through the eye of the KERR if any tow points give they will be catapulted off at a slight angle and far slower than the shackle in the instance above, as long as the recovery area is well clear which it should be and everyone is alert there's far less damage potential to humans or vehicles.

A 2 tonne lifting strop is absolutely fine for recovery. Because it's being sold as a lifting strop it's 2 tonne Safe working load at a safety factor of 7:1 to it's minimum break strain of 14 tonne all the time it remains undamaged and in reasonable condition.

Something sold as a 2 tonne tow strop is exactly that, a 2 tonne tow strop, if it was gonna be rated for lifting use in industry it would have to be derated by the 7:1 safety factor giving it a safe working load of 285 kg.

The strops sold by DAMAR webbing products on ebay in the 4x4 category as 7 tonne tow strops are actually 1 tonne simplex (single layer construction) lifting strops cunningly in the industry standard green colour of the 2 tonne duplex strops which are the ones you wanna be using (or if you wanna use 3 tonne SWL strops they would normally be yellow in colour).

Rant over, there you go i said i wasn't gonna go into it AGAIN, but i did!!

So what you're saying then is that the smallest ( load wise) of those strops, will be more than adequate for recovering a surf?
                        Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Originally posted by plumb bob View Post
                          So what you're saying then is that the smallest ( load wise) of those strops, will be more than adequate for recovering a surf?
                          yup those 2 tonne lifting ones from screwfix are gonna be absolutely fine for 99.9% of all surf recoveries, it's tempting to go for 3 tonne for longevity rather than strength, a few little nicks or grazes on a 3 tonne, or if you wanna allow to derate it a bit if it get's contaminated with oil, or for a winch extension or something a 3 might have the edge. 3's are better as tree strops aswell. So for the price difference it's up to you. If i was buying 2 i'd get one of each, and keep the 2 tonne in the surf most of the time, i don't think a three will fit in the cubby hole in the boot as they're a bit wider.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

It'll be worth getting a couple of them, then, I'll do it later when I've finnished work, as I don't know how secure this network is.
                            Rob

Still working for the man!

Comment

Here you go my surf has an 8m 5ton strope in a yoke off the back with the kerr looped over by the eye. The landys have 2m bridle stopes on the front with the kerr looped by the eye.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...coveryteam.flv

I take it you have never used one. They are as good as a winch and perfectly safe if used properly. Not withstanding the inheriant risk that comes with all recovery.
                              i have used one once,and tbh just get a hand winch,slow and safe,again i can only go by experience,lol funnily enough after my post i went out and had to recover a megane 4 floors down in an underground car park,i use 2 6t d shackles and a 10t crane strop....perks of my work lol
                              You wouldn't ever need to .....................

............... or do you carry waffle boards incase there's a pothole aswell?
                              lolol i havent lowered it............yet!

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                                i have used one once,and tbh just get a hand winch,slow and safe,again i can only go by experience,lol funnily enough after my post i went out and had to recover a megane 4 floors down in an underground car park,i use 2 6t d shackles and a 10t crane strop....perks of my work lol

lolol i havent lowered it............yet!
                                Does that mean you can get your friendly nieghbour a 4m strap and some shackles?
                                www.amcbs.webeden.co.uk www.xjrestorations.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X