recovery strops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Retribution View Post
    Anyone know if i should get 2 of the recovery straps or would i only need 1, as i havent done this b4 any help apritiated
    THere a few interesting files here if you want to read up on it

http://forums.bauchan.org/portal/vie...ads.php?dcid=7

Mark

Comment

keeping shackles on your truck is not a great idea (unless they are locked pins) the vibrations can unroll the pins and you lose your shackle somewhere, worse it could cause an accident.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
        keeping shackles on your truck is not a great idea (unless they are locked pins) the vibrations can unroll the pins and you lose your shackle somewhere, worse it could cause an accident.
        Been on for two years solid as anything. I do them up with a spanner so the scrotes dont nick em!

Re. putting a short strop between tow points and then putting a kinetic rope onto that. Hmmmm, I dunno if I'd do that.

The tow points are designed to take longitudal stress, not lateral. Someone like Mark will know better but I reckon that will put BIIIIG (particularly with a kinetic strap) stresses through the tow anchor points in directions they aren't designed to cope with.
        Last edited by Apache; 28 March 2008, 21:21.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I just ordered 2 of these and the shacks

28315 Duplex Webbing Sling 3000kg 4m

34965 Alloy Steel Bow Style Lifting Shack

Which is the Duplex Webbing Sling 3000kg 4m x2

Alloy Steel Bow Style Lifting Shackles 4.75 t

I hope that be ok for my 3rd gen,just gotta read up on it when i finish work tonight

Comment

I'd have went for stronger slings myself.

MadMac who has just registered here is the man to talk to in regard to correct slinging and shackle fitting.

He teaches it to industry for a living.
            Alan

Comment

Andy, when yoshie said short strop he really meant one that would be long enough to create a 'Y' shape wit hthe kinetic rope.

short as in shorter than a full sling but long enough to keep the shackle/tow point angles at an acceptable level.
              Alan

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                Andy, when yoshie said short strop he really meant one that would be long enough to create a 'Y' shape wit hthe kinetic rope.

short as in shorter than a full sling but long enough to keep the shackle/tow point angles at an acceptable level.

Good-oh! You know what I meant though, yeah?
                Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

I did.
                  Alan

Comment

if you're using a bridle and a snatch strap/kinetic rope DON'T shackle the KERR to the bridle, if anything gives the shackle stays on the end of the KERR and rockets straight along the line of the recovery, ie through the rear window of the recovery vehicle, and quite possibly out the front one aswell if it manages to miss everything in the vehicle which would be the preferable result bearing in mind there's at least one person in the vehicle.

By using a bridle through the eye of the KERR if any tow points give they will be catapulted off at a slight angle and far slower than the shackle in the instance above, as long as the recovery area is well clear which it should be and everyone is alert there's far less damage potential to humans or vehicles.

A 2 tonne lifting strop is absolutely fine for recovery. Because it's being sold as a lifting strop it's 2 tonne Safe working load at a safety factor of 7:1 to it's minimum break strain of 14 tonne all the time it remains undamaged and in reasonable condition.

Something sold as a 2 tonne tow strop is exactly that, a 2 tonne tow strop, if it was gonna be rated for lifting use in industry it would have to be derated by the 7:1 safety factor giving it a safe working load of 285 kg.

The strops sold by DAMAR webbing products on ebay in the 4x4 category as 7 tonne tow strops are actually 1 tonne simplex (single layer construction) lifting strops cunningly in the industry standard green colour of the 2 tonne duplex strops which are the ones you wanna be using (or if you wanna use 3 tonne SWL strops they would normally be yellow in colour).

Rant over, there you go i said i wasn't gonna go into it AGAIN, but i did!!
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

Originally posted by nero279 View Post
                      if you're using a bridle and a snatch strap/kinetic rope DON'T shackle the KERR to the bridle, if anything gives the shackle stays on the end of the KERR and rockets straight along the line of the recovery, ie through the rear window of the recovery vehicle, and quite possibly out the front one aswell if it manages to miss everything in the vehicle which would be the preferable result bearing in mind there's at least one person in the vehicle.

By using a bridle through the eye of the KERR if any tow points give they will be catapulted off at a slight angle and far slower than the shackle in the instance above, as long as the recovery area is well clear which it should be and everyone is alert there's far less damage potential to humans or vehicles.

A 2 tonne lifting strop is absolutely fine for recovery. Because it's being sold as a lifting strop it's 2 tonne Safe working load at a safety factor of 7:1 to it's minimum break strain of 14 tonne all the time it remains undamaged and in reasonable condition.

Something sold as a 2 tonne tow strop is exactly that, a 2 tonne tow strop, if it was gonna be rated for lifting use in industry it would have to be derated by the 7:1 safety factor giving it a safe working load of 285 kg.

The strops sold by DAMAR webbing products on ebay in the 4x4 category as 7 tonne tow strops are actually 1 tonne simplex (single layer construction) lifting strops cunningly in the industry standard green colour of the 2 tonne duplex strops which are the ones you wanna be using (or if you wanna use 3 tonne SWL strops they would normally be yellow in colour).

Rant over, there you go i said i wasn't gonna go into it AGAIN, but i did!!

Read my post again it is misleading. I total agree with bow shackle to attach yoke to rear and front points on each truck but eye of recovery kerr simply slipped over as above. This is how we have used it and no drama thus far
                      As Apache says angle matters I make my yoke frnt and back with 8m stropes so the kerr attaches center a good distance from the front or back of the truck.
                      Last edited by yoshie; 29 March 2008, 00:59.
                      Brian

Comment

I got lost with a lot of that terminology, so when i come out with you lot you tell me what to do and I'll do it as long as you don't make me roll the surf all should be ok

Comment

I got lost with a lot of that terminology, so when i come out with you lot you tell me what to do and I'll do it as long as you don't make me roll the surf all should be ok
                          sorry, went into a discussion about bridles and kinetic ropes.

A bridle is just a strop to link to towing eyes on the same vehicle together to spread the load across both of them, you connect one end to one towing eye, pass the other end through the loop on another strap then connect it to the other towing eye. Some people use them all the time, some people don't. I generally don't think it's necessary unless you're using a kinetic rope, but i'd consider it if i was very stuck.

A kinetic rope is a huge great elasticated rope often used for firing large lumps of metal (broken tow hooks and shackles) through the air at ridiculous speeds, often straight towards or even through people and vehicles. Well not quite... but they are a dangerous bit of kit. The idea is you attach the rope to both vehicles parked fairly close together, the recovery vehicle drives off at a fair speed (mibbe 15 mph) and when the rope is stretched he anchors up with everything he's got and let's the rope do the work as it contracts again. Normally used when the stuck vehicle is very stuck in deep boggy mud or sand, each run may only move the stuck vehicle a few inches to start with. When it goes wrong is when the recovery hooks aren't strong enough, when people don't match the rest of the kit in the chain to the forces involved, or when the recovery driver's a bit gun ho and goes charging off at full tilt and just keeps driving even when the ropes fully stretched and he's stationary still spinning his wheels at full tilt - that's normally the point where something let's go.

Think of it like an elastic band storing the energy of two 2 tonne lumps of steel moving away from each other at 15 mph, then think what happens if you stretch it that little bit too much, or if something breaks off one of those lumps of metal at full stretch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using a 'normal' strop you can use one of your strops as a bridle if you want, or just use it as a straight strop as you would if you were towing a car on the road.

If you are using more than one rope on a recovery the basic principle is to use as little metalwork (shackles etc.) as possible, and keep it at the vehicle attachment points and nowhere else if it can be at all avoided.
                          =========
                          =SOLD UP!=
                          =========

Comment

ie same as winch brothers,ps i still woudnt ever use kinectic rope tho,but hey each to his own

Comment

Here you go my surf has an 8m 5ton strope in a yoke off the back with the kerr looped over by the eye. The landys have 2m bridle stopes on the front with the kerr looped by the eye.

http://s74.photobucket.com/albums/i2...coveryteam.flv

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                              ie same as winch brothers,ps i still woudnt ever use kinectic rope tho,but hey each to his own
                              I take it you have never used one. They are as good as a winch and perfectly safe if used properly. Not withstanding the inheriant risk that comes with all recovery.
                              Brian

Comment

Originally posted by breakdowntruck2 View Post
                                You wouldn't ever need to .....................

............... or do you carry waffle boards incase there's a pothole aswell?
                                =========
                                =SOLD UP!=
                                =========

Comment

Working...
                                X