recovery strops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recovery strops

screwfix are selling off their remaining stock of strops nice and cheap apparently because they are changing suppliers, and so it's what's left of the old suppliers stock they're selling off - whatever the reason the outcome is good quality strops at dirt cheap prices.

2 tonne 3 metre - £7.99

2 tonne 4 metre - £10.99

3 tonne 4 metre - £12.99

http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A235337.../Load-Handling

I really can't be arsed to go into it again as to why these are far superior to slings sold on ebay for similar money - unless anyone's dying to hear it.

They also have tested bow shackles further down the page, if you're buying them go for the 3.25t or 4.75t bow shackles over the 2t ones.
    =========
    =SOLD UP!=
    =========

Cool. I could do with some short ones. I see they've got snatch blocks with spring clip hooks fitted. Have you seen hooks with clevis pins, like the bow shackles, or a bow-shackle type device with a hook on it?
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

cheers for that Nero, just placed an order

BTW Apache re your avatar have you photoshopped your pic or have you taken a sthil saw to your rear................
      Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
        cheers for that Nero, just placed an order

BTW Apache re your avatar have you photoshopped your pic or have you taken a sthil saw to your rear................
        Have you got a lithp ath well?

Comment

coz im in chill mode as i have taken the weak off and have nothing to do other than cilhl
          Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
            Cool. I could do with some short ones. I see they've got snatch blocks with spring clip hooks fitted. Have you seen hooks with clevis pins, like the bow shackles, or a bow-shackle type device with a hook on it?
            not exactly sure what you mean, but yes probably, and i can almost definately point you in the right direction for them. What's it for? I'm probably just being - coz i was more in the testing side of things than design or even retail i've probably seen it in the workshop probably even used it, but just struggling to visualise it and put a name to it so i can look it up.
            =========
            =SOLD UP!=
            =========

Comment

I leave my bow shackles in the tow points on the truck all the time. Was just thinking it would be easier to whack a hook into the shackle rather than faffing with clevis pins and the like.

Maybe i'm reinventing the wheel here, and you guys do it all the time, and I've been crawling around in the dirt unneccessarily for years

Comment

yeah that makes sense, pretty much all the hooks we used were for permanent fitting onto chainslings and loadbinders, but yeah i'll have a look through the catalogue and see if there's something you could fit on and off the end of a strop fairly easily, guess you could use a latch hook and shackle, but it seems like a lot of metalwork then bearing in mind there's already a shackle fitted to the truck so you then got 2 shackles plus the hook.

I'll get the specs on something like these open master links which you could put on the end of your sling http://www.scotia-handling-rigging.c..._fittings.html then pretty much choose your hook, only thing is that'd be a kinda semi permanent attachment on the end of your sling.

I just tend to put a strop on the back and wrap it round the spare wheel carrier, and one on the front which i lay flat across the bonnet and shut in the passenger door, lay it flat and it stays fairly well put even at motorway speeds on the way hame, but I put em on at the start of the day and leave em there until the end. Only time it's gonna cause problems is if you get stuck in deep water coz you gotta open the passenger door to get the strop out.
                =========
                =SOLD UP!=
                =========

Comment

Yeah, if I think I'm gonna need it I attach the strop first. Just thought it would be a nice idea to have a snap hook fitted to the end of the strop semi-permanently to save faffing with clevis pins in the rain.

For the front one, I put it through the passenger window. You can still close the window enough to keep the weather out, but dont have to open the door to throw it out.

Comment

tried that and ended up doing 60 mph holding the end of the strop that the wind was trying to rip out of the window, was flexing the window so hard i thought it was gonna break, went back to the door after that.
                    =========
                    =SOLD UP!=
                    =========

Comment

pretty much all chain fittings have a roll pin of some description to fix to the end of the chain, you can punch the various types of pin out if you need to remove it but most of the pins can't be reused.

edit: Did you just delete a post, it confuses me when i read things write a reply then they dissappear
                      =========
                      =SOLD UP!=
                      =========

Comment

Not deleted anything. It confuses me when people reply to questions I haven't asked

Try taking your front strop off before hitting the motorway. It seems simple to me... and a lot better than letting a pond into your truck

Comment

Anyone know if i should get 2 of the recovery straps or would i only need 1, as i havent done this b4 any help apritiated

Comment

i have 2 ,one for each end of the truck to save keep changing them about
                            https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by Retribution View Post
                              Anyone know if i should get 2 of the recovery straps or would i only need 1, as i havent done this b4 any help apritiated
                              You have two rear recover points and you can add a second hook to the front.
                              This allows you to yoke the stropes by using a short one across the anchor points. Or if you have two minimum you can set up with a yoke from the start of the day and bow shackle the recovery strop to you yoked strop.

This is almost a must given the effectivness and popularuty of kenetic recover ropes. They are brilliant but I would never use them of one anchor point. That way if one lets go the tow fails but you dont get a bow shackle through the windscreen or in the back off the head.

Edit: I wouldn't buy anything below a 4/5 ton rated strap
                              Last edited by yoshie; 28 March 2008, 20:45.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...
                              X