opinions, facts n figures SWB 4X4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sancho View Post
    I agree with Nero, think about a Vitara or a RAV4 or something else girly.
    A vitara may look a bit Hair dressery to sum but with a bit of work they do grow up. The wife's got a new vitara 1.6 as a play thing, only had it a week and with a small amount of cash spent its almost ready. As for cheap it only cost £70 and the insurance (third party,fire & theft) is £95 pa.

I'll post some piccies down in the basement when the work is done. They have got to go down there otherwise the Murderaters get annoyed.

A RED card comming I feel (eh Jotto)
    If the puddles to deep..LEARN TO SCUBA.

Comment

It's alright, I already started disagreeing with myself by post #26.

Comment

Hi. A mate of mine had a 2.8 SWB Pajero and was always complaining about the amount of diesel it used. Ive got a Fourtrak which is much better I do a weekly 260 mile return trip to Norfolk which costs me around £35, which works out at roughly 33-35mpg. Fourtrak is faster too, and cheaper to insure not being an import.

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond View Post
          Hi. A mate of mine had a 2.8 SWB Pajero and was always complaining about the amount of diesel it used. Ive got a Fourtrak which is much better I do a weekly 260 mile return trip to Norfolk which costs me around £35, which works out at roughly 33-35mpg. Fourtrak is faster too, and cheaper to insure not being an import.
          do the fourtraks have a particular problem area to look at (like heads on a 2.4 surf) that you know of?
          i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

A mate of mine used to have t 91 fortrak on a J plate. Ride was very rough on leaf springs, so rough it started to crack the body around the tops of the door pillars. We also had to do an engine change after the camshaft sproket shattered without warning.

He did get about 30 - 35 mpg out of it though

I'm not saying these are typical faults but thought it was worth a mention.
            Bring me the head of a treehugger

Comment

Mines a leaf spring model and yeah the ride is quite hard. The newer (post 93 i think) ones had independant front and coil springs rear so would be more comfortable. No big problem areas as such, they are known for very good reliability going on for 600k if serviced regularly. The most common thing to go is the head gasket apparently, but no where near as big a problem as the 2.4's. The fourtrak engine is after all basically a Toyota engine, i think its based on the same block as the 3.0 Hilux engines. Rust on the body can be a problem too, although mines fine except for one smal patch.

Comment

Mines a leaf spring model and yeah the ride is quite hard. The newer (post 93 i think) ones had independant front and coil springs rear so would be more comfortable. No big problem areas as such, they are known for very good reliability going on for 600k if serviced regularly. The most common thing to go is the head gasket apparently, but no where near as big a problem as the 2.4's. The fourtrak engine is after all basically a Toyota engine, i think its based on the same block as the 3.0 Hilux engines. Rust on the body can be a problem too, although mines fine except for one smal patch.
                head gasket is not as bad as a cracked head, so thats one less thing to worry about. cheers for that.
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

Check for rust on the Fourtracks- behind the doorsills and other places you cannot see.