Light bar wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Light bar wiring

OK - you may have seen the thread before, but I've rewired the spots on the light bar, like this:

4 x 100W lights, wired in pairs to the relay, so one relay per two lamps, each relay has a separate 25A fuse, and the earth is jumpered between the two relays and off to the battery earth point on the body.

The switch circuit (from high beam) goes to one relay and is jumpered to the second.

All wire is 20A

Now - with it wired like this - one pair of lamps came on (engine on this time) but one pair blew the fuse......

So - do I have a short, or is there a better way to wire them up, without having all 8 wires coming off the roof (I want to be able to remove it, and don't want to drill holes) and I'd also like to switch it from inside - but will I need more than one switch??????

Questions, questions........
    Too old to care, young enough to remember

Blerrrrr!!!

Sounds a bit of a mess mate. Worst case current is around 35A, so two lengths of wire will do.

Wire the lot in parallel, keeping your doubled up cable through to the first two in the chain, then go to single if it makes life easier.

Stick a switch in the dash, wired in series with the relay coil, fed from the main beam +ve. This will mean they come on with the main beam, but you can disable them with the switch. Cant think of a situation where you want your roof lights on on their own.

A single 40A relay, and 40A fuse will suffice.
    Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      Blerrrrr!!!

Sounds a bit of a mess mate. Worst case current is around 35A, so two lengths of wire will do.

Wire the lot in parallel, keeping your doubled up cable through to the first two in the chain, then go to single if it makes life easier.

Stick a switch in the dash, wired in series with the relay coil, fed from the main beam +ve. This will mean they come on with the main beam, but you can disable them with the switch. Cant think of a situation where you want your roof lights on on their own.

A single 40A relay, and 40A fuse will suffice.

Got a diagram????

Comment

Somewhere... will post one up later as just about to take Neve to Brownies.

Comment

You back yet Andy??? Or did you bring Neve back from Brownies and get thinking about chocolate brownies..........

Comment

Sorry, yeah, but cant find the diagram. I'll sort another one out and post it up. Itps pretty straightforward.

40A cable from battery, through 40A fuse, through 40A normally open contacts on relay to each lamp +ve in turn.

40A cable from handy bit of chassis earth to each lamp -ve in turn.

Any old cable from full beam +ve through dashboard switch, to relay coil. Other side of relay coil to handy earth.

Thats about it!

Comment

Sorry, yeah, but cant find the diagram. I'll sort another one out and post it up. Itps pretty straightforward.

40A cable from battery, through 40A fuse, through 40A normally open contacts on relay to each lamp +ve in turn.

40A cable from handy bit of chassis earth to each lamp -ve in turn.

Any old cable from full beam +ve through dashboard switch, to relay coil. Other side of relay coil to handy earth.

Thats about it!

Hmmm - I'll wait for the pic and if you could give me an idea where to get the bits from???

Comment

Originally posted by MudSurfer View Post
                Hmmm - I'll wait for the pic and if you could give me an idea where to get the bits from???
                a shop!......................... .............................. .............................. ..that doesnt mind supplyin parts for burgandy surf owners

Comment

Think I probably have a spare 40A relay you can have. The switch, fuse and fuseholder you can get from Halfrauds. Cable... pretty much anywhere.

Why are you being such a girl about drilling a hole? Use one of these, it'll be fine! http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...gland&doy=22m1

Comment

Think I probably have a spare 40A relay you can have. The switch, fuse and fuseholder you can get from Halfrauds. Cable... pretty much anywhere.

Why are you being such a girl about drilling a hole? Use one of these, it'll be fine! http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...gland&doy=22m1
                    mmmm glands mmmmmmmmm lol,oh dear i appear to be in one of those moods lol,

Comment

I just don't want holes in my truck, other than the ones it was designed to have.....I have a 4 way fuse holder, and a switch and lots of fuses and wire......so will draw it out tonight and see if I've got it right this time......

Comment

So you're gonna bring the cables in through the door, over the seal? Bet its less waterproof than a properly fitted gland - and looks a bit shabby too.

Comment

So you're gonna bring the cables in through the door, over the seal? Bet its less waterproof than a properly fitted gland - and looks a bit shabby too.
                          Down the A pillar, unbolt the wing to get the cables behind it, then into the engine bay, back into the cabin via the grommet in the bulkhead. Nice, tidy and waterproof......

Comment

The outside of the pillar? Hmmm...

Got a snorkel? Take them down inside that.

Comment

Good batting think man!!!!

Like this for the wiring???

Comment

Working...
                              X