X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dabigman
    and if you have a 3rd gen (96>) the it is as follows:

normal driving - 2H, lever in forward position

4wd diff unlocked (for driving on hard surfaces) - 2H, lever in forward position but with with 4wd button pressed in

4wd diff locked - 4H, pull lever backwards

Neutral - pull lever to the right

4wd, low range - 4L, lever to right and push all the way forwards (gear selecttor needs to be in neutral to select low range)
    Err... where's my diff lock Matt???
    Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by dabigman
      4wd diff unlocked (for driving on hard surfaces) - 2H, lever in forward position but with with 4wd button pressed in

am I right in thinking that the 3rd gen can drive in this 4 wheel drive mode permanently on tarmac, or is it still liable to cause gearing probs, so preferable to stay in 2 wheel drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Linda
        Err... where's my diff lock Matt???
        Don't you start!!!!

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
          Don't you start!!!!

Do you know where it is? Have you hidden it?
          Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
            am I right in thinking that the 3rd gen can drive in this 4 wheel drive mode permanently on tarmac, or is it still liable to cause gearing probs, so preferable to stay in 2 wheel drive?
            No, you'll be fine, you have a diff in the transfer case, to let the front and rear axle slip on cornering.

Just uses a little more fuel.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by Fieldsy
              yeah, you can drive like that all the time but you'll still get stuck in anything slippy as all the drive will be transferred to 1 wheel... it's good for snow and ice ans you don't have to keep changing to drive over the bits of bare tarmac.

works the same as a permanent 4 wheel drive motor.

the diff lock is in the transfer case and locks the 2 props together so that you get drive to at least 1 back wheel and 1 front wheel.
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

RE Manual Trannies

Newbie here. The H2 to H4 and vice versa stuff above applies to a 2nd gen 4runner with its non-electric transfer case, which is different to a 2nd gen surf which has a button on the side of the shift lever.

According to the stuff above, if I wanna move from H2 to H4 then I just get my speed under 50mph and move the lever

The lever on a 2nd gen reads L4 on top of H, get what I'm thinkin?? According to the 'stuff above' shifting into low range needs 5mph tops!

Is this right so......

2nd gen surf:
                H2 to H4: Speed under 50mph, hit 4wd button, see 4WD light on dash to confirm
                H4 to H2: Any speed, hit 4wd button, see 4WD light go out
                H2/H4 to L4: Speed under 5mph, no acceleration, depress clutch, shift lever

2nd gen 4runner:
                H2 to H4: Speed under 50mph, shift lever to H4, see 4WD light on dash to confirm
                H4 to H2: Any speed, move lever, see 4WD light go out
                H2/H4 to L4: Speed under 5mph, no acceleration, depress clutch, shift lever

Does depress mean floor the pedal or dont floor the pedal???
                This thread is part of the FAQ section and I think its worth clearing up (for me )

Comment

Anyone ever get these symptoms in 2WD?

Comment

DONT use it in 4WD on hard surfaces, there is no center diff which allows the front and rear wheels to move at different speeds when turning corners.

Comment

Matt, you mentioned this diff-lock, well I've looked everywhere - I can't find this diff-lock thingy - so where's it got to?

And Tony, I'm only getting 23.5mpg is this right?

If I not got a diff-lock, can I get one - and from where?

Oh look, I've found a little red button - is that it? ay ay ay ay

you can tell it's friday ay
                      Dave

Comment

You won't have a centre diff lock, it will be locked as soon as you change to 4wd. Only 3rd gens have the option of and open centre diff for 4wd on "good" surfaces and a closed or locked diff for bad or loose surfaces. If you use 4wd and a locked centre diff on a good surface the front and back wheels will all be turning at the same speed, which is not good when turning a corner as the back wheels will take a slightly shorter route which means they need to be going slower. Solution tyres break grip, likely in the wet and going fastish so you end up having a quick off road expedition into the scenery, or transmission "winds up" and maybe goes bang.

The other diff locks you may have will be on the rear axle to lock it side to side. These are limited slip diffs, and probably dont work anyway by now!

The red button is so you can get it out of drive without turning the ignition on and putting foot on the brake.
                        Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

Originally posted by TJG
                          You won't have a centre diff lock, it will be locked as soon as you change to 4wd. Only 3rd gens have the option of and open centre diff for 4wd on "good" surfaces and a closed or locked diff for bad or loose surfaces. If you use 4wd and a locked centre diff on a good surface the front and back wheels will all be turning at the same speed, which is not good when turning a corner as the back wheels will take a slightly shorter route which means they need to be going slower. Solution tyres break grip, likely in the wet and going fastish so you end up having a quick off road expedition into the scenery, or transmission "winds up" and maybe goes bang.

The other diff locks you may have will be on the rear axle to lock it side to side. These are limited slip diffs, and probably dont work anyway by now!

The red button is so you can get it out of drive without turning the ignition on and putting foot on the brake.
                          Err - ta very much
                          Dave

Comment

you got that, dave?
                            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
                              you got that, dave?
                              Dave

Comment

Behave children !

Life is too important to take seriously !

Comment

Working...
                                X