Roof lights LED mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    I imagine the LEDs in angel eyes are in a different part of the lamp, not sharing the same airspace as the main lights.

Anyone know of a heat resistant water clear resin? I figure I could pour a few mil info each lamp covering the LEDs. Should protect them.

What about that stuff you used to be able to buy to set flies in as a kid?
    What about Araldite epoxy resin? I seem to remember that has a high temp rating. I would think that the housing construction plays a large part as well. The ones with the alloy cast housings shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
      What about Araldite epoxy resin? I seem to remember that has a high temp rating. I would think that the housing construction plays a large part as well. The ones with the alloy cast housings shouldn't be a problem.
      Araldite doesn't set clear though does it?

The housings are just coated pressed steel by the look of it. Cheap 'Ring Microlines'.

Clear electronic potting compound should have some heat resistance I would have thought...
      Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Araldite doesn't set clear though does it?
        Not perfectly, but the worst it'll do is just diffuse the light slightly, which could in all honesty be a slight bonus. It has a slightly translucent sheen once cured.

Clear electronic potting compound should have some heat resistance I would have thought...
        Would have thought so.

Edit: Can you actually get clear potting compound? I've only ever seen the dark brown stuff upto just.

Comment

This might be suitable as a LED encapsulation.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Water-Clear-Po...QQcmdZViewItem
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Working...
          X