According to my copy of next week's TV times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bunkle
    just wondering, bet you love big brother don't ya, pretend you don't but we know you do
    You have got to be joking. This is total cr@p. I like "fly on the wall" programmes but they need to have purpose. Something like Rogue Traders for example.

Comment

This thread has the combined intellegence equal to Jade goody
      www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

Originally posted by beaufighter
        There is avast difference to being clever and intelligent. I don't consider myself to be particuarly intelligent and had to work hard, no very hard for my qualifications. Others just pick it up and with a good memory sail through. Everyone is good at something.
        Nope. There is a big difference between being intelligent and having good memory retention. Clever and intelligent, within the general usage that they experience, are pretty much one and the same. However, what you are referring to is different. The fact that you had to work hard at earning your degree's does put you into the intelligent, (apart from opinions regarding America) , bracket. If you had been able to sail through, that would have made you one of two types. Either a person with a natural understanding and comprehension of a certain subject, or someone who has good memory retention and can retain information without necessarily understanding it. There are variations, but those are the main groups. However, slugging through a subject obviously means that you had no natural inclination, and your memory obviously isn't photographic, so that would actually infer that you are within the intelligence bracket.

Comment

interesting read though
          it never rain it pours! glad I got the 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by Woodzie
            Oh, you are so going to pay for that comment.

Comment

Who is she?

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                Nope. There is a big difference between being intelligent and having good memory retention. Clever and intelligent, within the general usage that they experience, are pretty much one and the same. However, what you are referring to is different. The fact that you had to work hard at earning your degree's does put you into the intelligent, (apart from opinions regarding America) , bracket. If you had been able to sail through, that would have made you one of two types. Either a person with a natural understanding and comprehension of a certain subject, or someone who has good memory retention and can retain information without necessarily understanding it. There are variations, but those are the main groups. However, slugging through a subject obviously means that you had no natural inclination, and your memory obviously isn't photographic, so that would actually infer that you are within the intelligence bracket.
                Thanks, I feel better for that. I have to disagree and state that clever and intelligent are quite different. With being clever comes common sense, an ability to solve problems that require manual repair for example. Often intelligent people are good at the theory but when it comes to putting htis into practice, then fail. Best is to have a mix of each of course which the majority of the population have but on varying degrees.

Comment

Thanks, I feel better for that. I have to disagree and state that clever and intelligent are quite different. With being clever comes common sense, an ability to solve problems that require manual repair for example. Often intelligent people are good at the theory but when it comes to putting htis into practice, then fail. Best is to have a mix of each of course which the majority of the population have but on varying degrees.
                  Clever doesn't incorporate common sense into the meaning. The only real difference in meaning between clever and intelligent is the level of knowledge. Both, however, mean understanding and adapting to the situation, whether through thought or manual means. The only people who wish to make intelligent sound better than clever are the ones who like to call themselves intelligent.

Edit: Something like MENSA would be a prime example of what I mean. They will probably refer to themselves as intelligent, I would however refer to them as Savants. Very good in a specific area, but stuck within that realm.
                  Last edited by MattF; 9 February 2007, 19:58.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                    Clever doesn't incorporate common sense into the meaning. The only real difference in meaning between clever and intelligent is the level of knowledge. Both, however, mean understanding and adapting to the situation, whether through thought or manual means. The only people who wish to make intelligent sound better than clever are the ones who like to call themselves intelligent.

Edit: Something like MENSA would be a prime example of what I mean. They will probably refer to themselves as intelligent, I would however refer to them as Savants. Very good in a specific area, but stuck within that realm.
                    so what do you class yourself as matt?
                    www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman
                      so what do you class yourself as matt?
                      I don't. I'm different things to different people.

Comment

Who is she?
                        Some chav with a shoe sized IQ thats been metioned in the Times last week

BTW matt i didnot expect you to bite
                        www.daemon4x4.org

Comment

BTW matt i did not expect you to bite

Comment

metioned
                            did you just drop something.
                            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by vatchman