bargain solar charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    It would be a nice design for a battery eliminator.

Andy, you're an electronics geeza, know anyone who can make some PCBs for me?

I've got a schematic on clear acetate and I need someone to scan them and etch them onto copper covered board. I can drill the holes for the components.
    They're only about 3"X4" and I need five of them.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      And the battery would go flat.
      It might have had a note in the instructions saying to remove from socket
      during night time hours. Seriously though, the far eastern suppliers have
      some scary ideas with regards to acceptable design. I've seen plenty of kit
      that should have incorporated a blocking diode, (and didn't), leading to some
      unexpected results. Trust me, you can never take anything for granted these
      days, even when it should be basic logic.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
        It might have had a note in the instructions saying to remove from socket
        during night time hours. Seriously though, the far eastern suppliers have
        some scary ideas with regards to acceptable design. I've seen plenty of kit
        that should have incorporated a blocking diode, (and didn't), leading to some
        unexpected results. Trust me, you can never take anything for granted these
        days, even when it should be basic logic.

Yep, It's all about 'targets' bugger quality.

Comment

Andy, you're an electronics geeza, know anyone who can make some PCBs for me?

I've got a schematic on clear acetate and I need someone to scan them and etch them onto copper covered board. I can drill the holes for the components.
          They're only about 3"X4" and I need five of them.
          A box with a glass plate, (an old scanner is adaptable), a UV tube, (or two),
          and a photo sensitive copper clad board. Etching solution is readily available.
          Well worth while making your own if your ever planning on making more in the
          future. You'd also need to invert your printout.

Comment

A box with a glass plate, (an old scanner is adaptable), a UV tube, (or two),
            and a photo sensitive copper clad board. Etching solution is readily available.
            Well worth while making your own if your ever planning on making more in the
            future. You'd also need to invert your printout.
            Yeah I know, thanks Matt. I did electronics when I left school, mostly fault finding, plus my own PCBs , LED tacho's and fuel air/fuel meters ect for My Minis on weekends using work's components
            I see that Maplins do a kit for making PCBs, but I'm a skinflint!

Comment

Yeah I know, thanks Matt. I did electronics when I left school, mostly fault finding, plus my own PCBs , LED tacho's and fuel air/fuel meters ect for My Minis on weekends using work's components
              Believe it or not, we have to contract out any PCB design and manufacture these days as 'it's too dangerous' (!!!)

When I worked at the Royal Aircraft Establishment (ahhhh... takes me back) at Llanbedr in North Wales (isn't it) I used to prototype about half a dozen boards a week with no ill effects. Now I cant even keep araldite in my desk drawer! It has to gi in a locked metal store cupboard with a COSHH leaflet!

The maplin kit is the way to go. A couple of UV lamps in a lightbox, or if you're feeling particularly creative, some etch resistant tape or letraset!
              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Which kit? A full blown job or just the pcb and solution?

If I ever get around to hooking it up and trying it out, I have a prototype
                machine here. Takes a CAD drawing and mills the board surface. Another
                one of my 'Ooooooooooohhhh, must have' moments a good while back.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache
                  The maplin kit is the way to go. A couple of UV lamps in a lightbox, or if you're feeling particularly creative, some etch resistant tape or letraset!
                  Another alternative to the etch tape is a cdr marker pen. They work just as
                  well as the authentic etch resist pens at a fraction of the price.

Comment

I think I'll go for this kit...http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ment&doy=10m10

Comment

I'd just get a pack of crystals and the PCB's seperate, if I were you. The etch
                      resist pen in that pack is no different to a black cdr marker pen, and any plastic
                      container will do. It'll work out cheaper than the kit.

If you're wanting more than one circuit, though, still reckon you'd be better off
                      making a UV exposure box and using photo sensitive board. No repetition and a
                      neater layout. You can use the ht circuit from one of those cheap and cheerful
                      camping flourescent strip lights for working the UV tubes.

Comment

I'd just get a pack of crystals and the PCB's seperate, if I were you. The etch
                        resist pen in that pack is no different to a black cdr marker pen, and any plastic
                        container will do. It'll work out cheaper than the kit.

If you're wanting more than one circuit, though, still reckon you'd be better off
                        making a UV exposure box and using photo sensitive board. No repetition and a
                        neater layout. You can use the ht circuit from one of those cheap and cheerful
                        camping flourescent strip lights for working the UV tubes.

Kewl, will do.

Comment

Working...
                        X