bargain solar charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Apache
    If the fag lighter isn't live with the ignition off, it wont work as there's no path to the battery. You could easily wire it to a permanent live though.
    Nothing is too easy for old sh1t-for-brains here.

I suppose I should go and see whether the lighter's live with the ignition off....

Comment

Right, sh1t-for-brains is back. No current from the fag lighter with the ignition off (not that I have a meter or anything, I just plugged a 12v hoover in and nothing happened).

As for finding a permanent feed, I'm guessing the easiest thing for me to do would be to get the interior light down, find the wire that goes into the 'on' position and hook it up to that (with the negative hooked up to whatever wire is neither 'on' nor 'door').

How does that sound? I don't like it when smoke comes out and I get molten plastic on my fingers....

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
        Right, sh1t-for-brains is back. No current from the fag lighter with the ignition off (not that I have a meter or anything, I just plugged a 12v hoover in and nothing happened).

As for finding a permanent feed, I'm guessing the easiest thing for me to do would be to get the interior light down, find the wire that goes into the 'on' position and hook it up to that (with the negative hooked up to whatever wire is neither 'on' nor 'door').

How does that sound? I don't like it when smoke comes out and I get molten plastic on my fingers....

that will probably burn out the wiring to the light. if you want the fag lighter on all the time, just run a new fused feed direct from the battery
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          that will probably burn out the wiring to the light. if you want the fag lighter on all the time, just run a new fused feed direct from the battery
          Yep, Chillit's right.
          Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Bear with me here....

I don't want the fag lighter on all the time. I gave up smoking over a year ago. Even if I start again, I don't have the mental capacity to drive and smoke simultaneously so it's useless to me.

I was talking about finding a permanent feed to hook this solar thing into. Is it really gonna burn the light out? 1.5w @ 17.5v? If so, so be it, just wanted to make sure I was being an idiot in the right context.

And is it actually going to blow up when I start the engine?

Comment

Mine says you should disconnect it before starting engine.

Comment

Well in that case, I shall stop making a dick of myself and do as the instructions say. It comes with crocodile clips so I've just hooked it direct to the battery and stuck the thing on the windscreen in front of the driver's seat so I don't forget

Thanks for the patient answers chaps

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                  Mine says you should disconnect it before starting engine.
                  that's so the power from the alternator doesn't start back feeding and re-charging the sun... adding to the problem of global warming!
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                    that's so the power from the alternator doesn't start back feeding and re-charging the sun... adding to the problem of global warming!

Comment

Ah, so that would explain the week of 98 degree + temps back in June this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        Well in that case, I shall stop making a dick of myself and do as the instructions say. It comes with crocodile clips so I've just hooked it direct to the battery and stuck the thing on the windscreen in front of the driver's seat so I don't forget

Thanks for the patient answers chaps

You could use a diode inline so that you could leave it permanently
                        connected.

Edit: Just having looked at that link, it says it has an inbuilt blocking diode,
                        so it shouldn't be a problem leaving it connected. ( Don't blame me if it does
                        explode, though. )
                        Last edited by MattF; 10 October 2006, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF
                          You could use a diode inline so that you could leave it permanently
                          connected.
                          They *must* have one already, or you'd get reverse current flow in dark conditions.

Comment

They *must* have one already, or you'd get reverse current flow in dark conditions.
                            Yeah, just noticed that. I learn't a long time ago to never trust certain
                            suppliers for logical circuit designs, however.

Comment

And the battery would go flat.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                                And the battery would go flat.
                                It would be a nice design for a battery eliminator.

Comment

Working...
                                X