Winch or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by namira
    I know that the Amazons and many other 4x4’s and Toyotas have twin batteries as sometimes they carry a lot of extras like spot bars and stuff and are used in extreme conditions so require a decent high current package and it is simpler to have two regular batteries than find the space for one large one and of course the weight distribution is tricky with only one as they are very heavy so that’s one of the reasons they fit two.
    Do you have high current extras like that ?

How do you know your batteries are taking a hammering ?
    Well as Gary suggested it takes a bit of skill to use a winch and if it’s set up ok you should be able to pull yourself or others out easily with just short pulls although I know sometimes you see shots of trucks being pulled up steep inclines for what seems like ages.
    I think they must have split chargers like one finds on boats otherwise if the batteries fail they are in the mire big time.

There is no practical way to tell although the amount of gassing might help but it’s difficult to see in a conventional battery. You would have to open the bonnet and listen for the activity and look for the vapour discharge but as you can guess that’s a no no when you’re stuck and want to pull yourself out. Slow and gentle just like the ladies like is the way.
    I'm no expert though.
    What you've also got to remember is that the more load you are pulling the more ampage the motor pulls from the battery so if you are pulling something really heavy you are best to use a snatch block which will half the weight you are pulling or double your pulling power.
    If it aint broke dont fix it

Comment

Good advice once again Gary, it always suprises me that people don't use snatch blocks its pretty basic after all.
      Winching is a bit of an art form if you have to do it for real and your stuck miles from anywhere.I never thought I ever grasped the finer points as for some it comes so easy but I guess they were born into it. Maybe someone would run a winching weekend, I would be up for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
        Two front fog lights, thats all. I do have the twin batteries.
        Then you will be fine my friend no worries. Should be great fun finding a decent anchor and having the right shackles and all the stuff that goes along with that.
        Anyone up for a winching weekend, if we can talk someone into showing us how to do it properly?
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by gary16163
          Hi Brian
          Here are the dimensions on the pic will also email them too you
          Gary,

I need to send a copy of this plan to the fabricators, do you have details of the hole diameters (save me having to remove my A Bar bolt to find out).

Also, I noticed in one of your photos that you have an un-used hole at either end - are these drain holes?

Cheers
          Brian

Comment

Originally posted by Panrixx
            Gary,

I need to send a copy of this plan to the fabricators, do you have details of the hole diameters (save me having to remove my A Bar bolt to find out).

Also, I noticed in one of your photos that you have an un-used hole at either end - are these drain holes?

Cheers
            The hole diameters are 12mm and yes the other 2 holes are for drainage which I done at 14mm
            Gary

Comment

been following this with interest as I may want to attach a winch one day.

Why not have a deep-cycle marine battery? They're what boats use: they last forever and can take absolute dogs abuse.

Comment

They are ok for continuous low current discharge like a caravan or boats lighting and such but they are not really up to cranking an engine like a Surfs in winter, I think.
                Deep cycle really means that you can almost discharge them fully many times with no adverse effects and charge them continuously until the internal resistance is pulling no more charge. I know in some boats they do have a split charger which trickle charges the marine battery that supplies power to everything but the starter ,but fast charges the cranking battery which is not a deep discharge. Marine or solar batteries are expensive but last for ions if they are not abused with high charge and discharge rates. I think that’s right, it was all a long time ago.

Comment

They are ok for continuous low current discharge like a caravan or boats lighting and such but they are not really up to cranking an engine like a Surfs in winter, I think.
                  Deep cycle really means that you can almost discharge them fully many times with no adverse effects and charge them continuously until the internal resistance is pulling no more charge. I know in some boats they do have a split charger which trickle charges the marine battery that supplies power to everything but the starter ,but fast charges the cranking battery which is not a deep discharge. Marine or solar batteries are expensive but last for ions if they are not abused with high charge and discharge rates. I think that’s right, it was all a long time ago.
                  You're right they are only designed to run low ampage things like lights,fridges,TVs,bilge pumps etc not heavy cranking

Comment

Hi Brian, I found a really interesting site that covers the pros and cons of winching and just about every aspect of off - roading including batteries.
                    You can download the sections you are interested in. Apologies if its been posted before.
                    http://4xforum.co.za/tguide/recovery.html
                    Paul

Comment

Hi Brian, I found a really interesting site that covers the pros and cons of winching and just about every aspect of off - roading including batteries.
                      You can download the sections you are interested in. Apologies if its been posted before.
                      http://4xforum.co.za/tguide/recovery.html
                      Paul
                      Thanks for that, it looks very useful. I've only given it a quick scan so far but I'll study it more fully later.
                      Brian

Comment

Working...
                      X