No announcement yet.

Coils Springs Manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks for that info dog book will come in handy.
    Last edited by metalbirdy; 20 December 2005, 23:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
      For a 2" lift just wind up torsion bars and fir rear coils, also replace shocks ie explorer ones that will acomidate the lift which they say are standard size anyway. check rear brake line which should be fine if standard shocks are used but check if you fit new shocks as they may extend a little more. 2" lifts are easy any if you want a good ride then dont replace the bars as there uprated and standard ones are fine with a 2" lift....

Heres the plan what do you guru's of the mighty surf think????

Spoke to explorer pro-comp today and if i'm right in thinkin i've got the cheap way of doing a 2" lift, 2 pro-comp 3000 shocks (rear) at £33.00 each, 2" lift springs (if I can't get them in here £84.50..... total cost £165.00 + tenner p&p ================== BARGAIN!!

Winding up torsion bars 5 skinned knuckles and a whole lot of bad language.

(now i've been wrong once before when I was 11 or 12 and the doctors said it might happen again i'm now 32 so its long overdue.
      Fuzzy wuzzy wuz a woman??

Comment

Right, got the Milners standard height coils in and the back end has dropped 3". Ive got pictures which will follow, but as far as i can tell without measuring yet the Explorer +2" coils only lifted mine 1.5" LOL. So ill report back soon as ill take more pic's when i jack the arse up 2" with a jack!!! and you guys can see what you want. Since my old pic's are of the Explorer springs.....

Remember, the more that buy the less they will cost each and they will be uprated.
        Odly enough, the Minlers coils are rated at 190lbs so are far more than just 20% uprated from the normal 140lbs that 4runner coils are !! This make the front end of my surf bounce more now over speed bumps compared to the 160lbs of the coils that i just took out!
        I have tried selling some spare lift coils on ebay to generate interest with no prevale, if i could then i could buy more coils therefore selling them to you guys cheaper...........bugger...... ..
        3.0 TD SSR-X LTD 1994 Black, sold and passed MOT

Comment

Hi Dogbook,

When are we looking to order? I have a very firm idea as to what I require. I'd like something with a 1" lift, and uprated 'spring' again I found that I sag with 50lts of Agri Diesel in the boot. I don't need any higher that 1" as I still want to use my standard shocks. But I do want to try and avoid sagging when I tow or have light load.

Let me know when we are ready to rumble mate.

Chris
          I am the friend of Hypno-Toad

Comment

Originally posted by sheeprus
            Hi Dogbook,

When are we looking to order? I have a very firm idea as to what I require. I'd like something with a 1" lift, and uprated 'spring' again I found that I sag with 50lts of Agri Diesel in the boot. I don't need any higher that 1" as I still want to use my standard shocks. But I do want to try and avoid sagging when I tow or have light load.

Let me know when we are ready to rumble mate.

Chris
            What coils do you have now?

I am not to sure on when the order will be yet. As i have to take more measurements now and pictures and lift the back up with a jack to the +2" to see if thats what everyone wants. Ill also ask if they can make a +1" coil without any extra cost.
            The trouble is, you see that now i have Milners STANDARD height coils i have lost 3" if measured from the top of the tyre to the square bung in the chassis. BUT, when i'd measured from the top of the wheel rim to the top of the arch the difference is something like 2 1/2". This must have something to do with the fact the rear axle swings forward when lifted. So i need to double check sizes as with springs the FITTED height is the important one here. Maybe if i increase the fitted height of the Milners coils then ill get the same result as the +2" Explorer coils but i need to jack up the rear to achieve this test.
            The coils will be rated at 160lb or maybe 165lb as the Minler 190lb are way to stiff in my opinion and could do with uprated front bars fitted, yet when i have 160lb coils fitted to mine load carrying was fine.......

Ill let you all know soon

Comment

Ok, took some pics and did some measuring, got to finish of tommorrow....

It looks like the Explorer +2" coils i originally fitted only lifted up the rear end by 1.5", youll see this when i post the pics again. But i have also jacked up the back by exactly 2", yet the fitted length of the coil does not increase by 2" at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF !!!!!!!!!!!
              So its all down to geometery as the axle does swing forward and not exectly down.....
              I have been doing some measurements off the wheel arch to the top of the rim and also from the bottom of the square plastic bung to the top of the tyre. And even when lifted up 2" from the bung the arch to wheel size is smaller!!!! oh well, in the end i think the Surf looks better with +1.5" instead of +2" but like i said ill post the pics later....

Still...has anyone got the dimension from that square bung to top of tyre with an Explorer +2" set of coils fitted??? please let me know....and what tyres you have as mine are 265/70/15

Thanks

Comment

I have also noticed that some one called Jaky cakes posted about adding +2" spacers to Milners coils. bizzarly enough im sure the height resembls that of where i measured 1.5" !!!!!

I hate all this...lol

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/forums/sh...6&page=1&pp=10

Also here look, one pic with the explorer +2" coils and one with the LC hdj80 spec coils fitted, i reckon the explorer gives +1.5" whilst LC ones give +3" or more depending where you measure...also a pic now showing Mliners standar height coils.....
                Last edited by Dog_Book; 26 January 2006, 00:50.

Comment

Right, ive done enough testing as i can. And i have come to some conclusions.
                  The +2" Explorer coils i originally fitted actually give a 1.5" lift, this has been measured from the bottom of the square bung in the rear chassis to the top of the tyre. And i checked all this against pictures i had taken a while ago. The 1st photo below shows my Surf with the Explorer coils +2". Remember that the setting of the front bars does have an effect on the rear height. For about 1" going up at the front moves about 1/4" at the rear up.
                  The second photo shows the height of Milner uprated standard height coils.
                  The third photo shows a true +1.5" lift.
                  The fourth photo shows a true +2" lift.
                  The fifth photo shows a true +3" lift. This is the height that is acheived from using Landcruiser 1995 HDJ80 rear coils.

I will be having the coils made at 165lb rate. As the Milner coils are too uprated at 190lbs and way to hard for the road. If you have these fitted then go ahead and test your suspension movement, as you have none!! It i s only the tyres that bounce and this is the same problem i had when fitting 190lb LC HDJ80 coils. When i had some made up with a 160lb rate then the ride got so much better and are still uprated compared to the standard 140lbs that Toyota made originally.

So i need to know who wants the +2" lift and who wants +1.5". I personally like the +1.5" better. But once i get the numbers for the coils then i can get an exact price. If you read the other posts here you'll see the prices. And i can get these down if enough are wanted ok.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Dog_Book; 17 March 2006, 00:18.

Comment

So am I right in presuming these coils will be uprated like the Milners coils (but a little less to improve handling), and will also be longer than standard giving a 2" lift if required (like Roughtrax Coils)?

If that is the case, then put me down for a set. Costs the same, and getting a better product !! Sounds good to me

Now if only they came in Blue

Just Vegging Out

Comment

Originally posted by dleach2103
                      So am I right in presuming these coils will be uprated like the Milners coils (but a little less to improve handling), and will also be longer than standard giving a 2" lift if required (like Roughtrax Coils)?

If that is the case, then put me down for a set. Costs the same, and getting a better product !! Sounds good to me

Now if only they came in Blue

The Roughtrax coils are Explorer ones as far as i know as they also stock the procomp shocks.....So you will acctualy get a full 2" lift and not just a 1.5" lift. This can also be confirmed in another thread where i asked someone with the +2" coils for a measurement and they had only 1.52 from the bottom of that bung in chassis....
                      Once i get how many ppl and of which height they want then ill try to get them cheaper at the coil manufactuer

Comment

Originally posted by Dog_Book
                        The Roughtrax coils are Explorer ones as far as i know as they also stock the procomp shocks.....So you will acctualy get a full 2" lift and not just a 1.5" lift. This can also be confirmed in another thread where i asked someone with the +2" coils for a measurement and they had only 1.52 from the bottom of that bung in chassis....
                        Once i get how many ppl and of which height they want then ill try to get them cheaper at the coil manufactuer
                        Aye - put my name down for a set of the 2" lift please, gotta replace shocks so i think ill save some time and do em all at once
                        [b]Ask a stupid question, someone else is thinking

Comment

All updated now, please check above thanks

Comment

could you make sure you EMAIL me if your interseted as ive only got a few in my contacts now and only one person has replyed after i sent them an email telling them that the info is up to date now.

I need emails from interested persons.

And which do you prefer? the proper 1.5" or 2" lift????
                            As the Explorer +2" coils are really only +1.5" if you check everything as i have done

Comment

Well ive only had 3 ppl say there interested and the chap The Hoffmeister so that make 4, but i cant tell what his email addy is so don't know if he's already emailed me. Looks like ill have to get a price for 5 which will cost us a bit...

I really thought the idea of having a true lift coil that is really uprated would be apealing. As i have already proved in the posts before this that my Explorer coils were'nt that much HD after all

Comment

Working...
                              X