Death Trap in the Wet!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Trap in the Wet!!!

Is it because of the tyers I have, or are all Surf's as slippy FCUK in the wet? If I even think of appliying the brakes in the wet the front locks up! (well a slighrt exagguration) on islands it either understeers or oversteers!

I have got the Brdgestone Winter Dulers that most Surf's have on them when they come over from Japan. When they wear out, what are the best tyers to fit to stop me from going up someones derier in the wet?

Thanks.
    I like Orientals

Originally posted by Bobby Doc
    Is it because of the tyers I have, or are all Surf's as slippy FCUK in the wet?
    i diagnose bad driving.
    nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

i had winter duelers on mine and found they were c==p in the wet
      i have now got colway at's on it now and they are a vast improvement in the wet
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Could be talking rubish but I read somewhere that tyres in
        Japan have different compound mix which is harder than the uk
        which may give a grip problem?

fitted BF Goodridge AT's no problem in the wet at all.
        Check the presures first,also don't forget it's 2 tons of high
        gravity car so a differant driving style may be looked into.
        No offence to your driving that is

Cheers Chris
        GOT NO COWBOYS HERE?

Comment

I fitted BF Goodrich all terrains after having avon ranger all terrains on the truck. What a difference, I think that the road grip on the BFG's are fantastic, I'm actually finding it quite difficult to slide the back end out now
          But atleast they are safe. and great traction off road too.

Andy.

Comment

Originally posted by bobafatass
            I fitted BF Goodrich all terrains after having avon ranger all terrains on the truck. What a difference, I think that the road grip on the BFG's are fantastic, I'm actually finding it quite difficult to slide the back end out now
            But atleast they are safe. and great traction off road too.

Andy.
            yea have to agree with you there andy,BF at"s grip like s*** to a blanket.the truck almost handles like its on rails.notice i did say almost there.
            www.overfab.uk

Comment

Bullet came in with Yokohama Geolanders I/T's - fab road tyre (designed for Ice Terrain so no wonder they were good in the wet. Now has BFG A/T's - fantastic road grip on these too.
              The 4 runner has Kunho M/T's and they are great for M/T's - slip a bit more than A/T's but generally good.

Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

My truck has only been over from Japan since the 1st week in July. It was fitted with brand new Dunlop Grandtrek's. These seem to be ok, but in the wet if you have to pull away fast, you can spin them up big style. I think it has a lot to do with the POWER of the beast.

Comment

I had Bridgestone Winter Duelers on mine. They were OK in the wet but squeeled like pigs on cornering. It was like a living film soundtrack.
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Doc
                    Is it because of the tyers I have, or are all Surf's as slippy FCUK in the wet? If I even think of appliying the brakes in the wet the front locks up! (well a slighrt exagguration) on islands it either understeers or oversteers!

I have got the Brdgestone Winter Dulers that most Surf's have on them when they come over from Japan. When they wear out, what are the best tyers to fit to stop me from going up someones derier in the wet?

Thanks.
                    I use BFG A/T's they are fantastic in the dry but you need to treat the truck with a bit of respect in the wet or you can still loose the backend if you don't adjust your driving for the conditions. Putting nearly two ton of truck quickly round a bend in the dry is fine! infact it amazed me how well it handled in the dry but a bad move in the wet.
                    Mark

Comment

Both with Yoko Geolanders [original tyres] and Colway A/T on a wet road going round a tight bend, island the back can slip out although not as much with the A/Ts . Don't forget it is rear wheel drive and very little weight over the rear axle.

Learn to adjust your driving style round corners etc...until I started to re-adjust the driving the back had slipped out on me 3 times going round islands....once was fun seeing the face in the mirror but seeing other vehicles coming towards not so clever!
                      Gaz

Comment

hmmm, i've got the origional dunlop grand trek on mine.i'm always cautious in the wet, but boy do these boots squeal in the dry!! i don't concur with the bad driving stance taken earlier, as these tyres send pedestrians running for their lives with the gentlest of cornering manouvres, great for trumping the boy racers, but kinda embarrasing with mother in law riding shotgun..the tread is all good, but i'm now considering changing them to kumho mud terrains.interesting to see the favourable report posted earlier..just one question, given that over-zealous driving may contribute a wee bit, would bigger, ie 31x10.50 tyres or/and a 2 inch lift actually make things worst?

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
                          would bigger, ie 31x10.50 tyres or/and a 2 inch lift actually make things worst?
                          Tyres can play an imortant factor in the grip, also putting on wheel spacers or bigger offset wheels would give you more of a footprint on the road and better handleing.
                          We put on 31/10.50/15 BFG a/t's, 2" lift , offset 20mm wheels and swapped all the shocks for procomp es9000's.
                          It handles superb I haven't had a hairy moment yet !

Andy.

Comment

The SnoopDeVille came in with Jap compound Bridgestone Winter Duelers and they were slippy as anything. They are too hard a compound for the UK, especially in the wet. Lottie lost control approaching a roundabout @ < 25mph in the wet just by touching the brakes . We made an executive decision at this point and changed them. It's handled fine ever since.

Of course, if you forget it's a 2 tonne truck with a high centre of gravity,all the weight at the front and no ABS then it doesn't matter what tyres it's wearing, you'll still be in trouble....
                            Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Originally posted by mickey
                              just one question, given that over-zealous driving may contribute a wee bit, would bigger, ie 31x10.50 tyres or/and a 2 inch lift actually make things worst?
                              I'll be the first to put my hand up and say I do like push my wagon arround a bit too. Keep in mind that I also drive a 15 ton leaf-sprung, undampered, drum-braked firetruck, and we push those to the edge of adhesion......and beyond, I have had the back end drift on a few corners too!!
                              I have 31's + 2" lift and mine is a skinny bum surf (no flares or offsets)
                              with my old tyres, Falken Landair from Japan, it was slipperey as hell in the wet. Now with GT Radials I have yet to slip a tyre......and believe me I have tried, I nearly rolled it trying to get the backend to let go on a roundabout , that is how sticky these tyres are.

1. Know what the vehicle is capable of and understand its handling dynamics
                              2. Know your own driving abilities, upskill if unsure
                              3. Ensure the vehicle is set-up correctly: Tyres, alignment, dampers, brakes etc
                              4.Drive to the conditions.

Sorry if I sound like a boring old f@rt but these are the facts.
                              We have a horrific road toll over here and these are the main factors behind all fatal accidents, despite the govt and tax-grabbers telling us that is speed speed speed.
                              This is one of the topics that will usually get me wound up a little.

.......ok rant over.
                              Simon.O.
                              '90 SSR Ltd 2.4TD 5 spd

Comment

Working...
                              X