No announcement yet.

veg oil kit - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

now you've done it, youve mentioned that s**d word!

quote "Considering a gravity fed 1000l tank on shed roof....or hand pump"....
    Landcruiser Colorado
    Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
      now you've done it, youve mentioned that s**d word!

quote "Considering a gravity fed 1000l tank on shed roof....or hand pump"....
      you saying there's a member with a hand pump in their shed??
      nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

dont even know what one of those is..
        do they have single teat cows round your way?
        anyway i'm of to get felt on my new shed roof.
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chillitt
          dont even know what one of those is..
          do they have single teat cows round your way?
          anyway i'm of to get felt on my new shed roof.
          pull the udder one.
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

now you really are milking it
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Elsbett singletank system and 100% veg in cold winters?

Anyone got any ideas how the Elsbett singletank system and 100% veg would perform in northern Scotland in winters, we often get -10 to -15 in winters here. Would the heating system be sufficient, or would all the veg oil gel in the tank ?
              Landcruiser Colorado
              Sub. Forester

Comment

Anyone got any ideas how the Elsbett singletank system and 100% veg would perform in northern Scotland in winters, we often get -10 to -15 in winters here. Would the heating system be sufficient, or would all the veg oil gel in the tank ?
                At minus 15 I reckon it would gel in the tank. What's a domestic deep freeze ? -18 or thereabouts I think, put some in your freezer to check what happens. It may need say 20% diesel added to prevent gelling, again you can mix small batches of differing ratio's and stick em in your freezer to check.
                Maurice
                Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                  At minus 15 I reckon it would gel in the tank. What's a domestic deep freeze ? -18 or thereabouts I think, put some in your freezer to check what happens. It may need say 20% diesel added to prevent gelling, again you can mix small batches of differing ratio's and stick em in your freezer to check.
                  good plan - but her indoors will have a fit when i start bunging diesel in the freezer!

a question to anyone who has fitted an Elsbett system
                  - did you have to send your injectors off to elsbett to get injectors modified?
                  i read on web of someone who did:
                  http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
                  Last edited by andycook; 19 August 2005, 16:04.
                  Landcruiser Colorado
                  Sub. Forester

Comment

I already put some in the freezer - no way it would flow in the pipes - not solid but totally gelled.

Would need a tank heater and heated pipes me thinks or a blend....

good plan - but her indoors will have a fit when i start bunging diesel in the freezer!

- did you have to send your injectors off to elsbett to get injectors modified?
                    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
                      you saying there's a member with a hand pump in their shed??
                      Ahh yes, the fabled mobile man milker - used by many a lesbian familly starter....or at least thats what she told me

Comment

- did you have to send your injectors off to Elsbett to get injectors modified?
                        I asked this very question of Doctoral who recently fitted the Elsbett kit to his Surf, he got a local firm to fit the nozzles and check/set them up, think he said they charged him around €50

I have to say, the Elsbett is a bit pricey, but I'm starting to like the idea of it myself.
                        Maurice

Comment

I asked this very question of Doctoral who recently fitted the Elsbett kit to his Surf, he got a local firm to fit the nozzles and check/set them up, think he said they charged him around €50

I have to say, the Elsbett is a bit pricey, but I'm starting to like the idea of it myself.
                          Morr - or anyone....

Regarding kits - Frybrid seems to be the most comprehensive and has even thought of the temp rating of the seals in the valve - hence no pollacks - but there is one thing troubleing me...

if I used a Frybrid kit - 888 GBP but that includes a tank with heater coil.

if I got elsbett - its 600 odd quid but the tank dont have heat so you use part diesel to make the stuff flow in cold wether....

my question is whats best ?

Heated tank and lines Vs Diesel blend....?

Comment

So the Elsbett means you may have to use some dinodiesel if the weather gets very cold, whilst the Frybrid means you will have to use some dinodiesel all year round as your start-up and shut down fuel.

If you have a mild winter, the elsbett may not require any dino, whilst the frybrid would still be consuming some. This means the elsbett has the potential to consume less dino than the frybrid, altought this would of course be mileage dependant.
                            It would however be very complex to actually do the math (beyond me ) as the elsbett may require more dino based on distance covered, whilst the frybrid would require more based on number of engine starts & stops, and time between stopping and re-starting.

Personally, for the ability to use 100% most of the year, the potential to use less dinodiesel overall, the cheaper kit price, the easier installation (no extra tank etc..), I think you see where my money would be spent, on the Elsbett kit.
                            Maurice

Comment

So the Elsbett means you may have to use some dinodiesel if the weather gets very cold, whilst the Frybrid means you will have to use some dinodiesel all year round as your start-up and shut down fuel.

If you have a mild winter, the elsbett may not require any dino, whilst the frybrid would still be consuming some. This means the elsbett has the potential to consume less dino than the frybrid, altought this would of course be mileage dependant.
                              It would however be very complex to actually do the math (beyond me ) as the elsbett may require more dino based on distance covered, whilst the frybrid would require more based on number of engine starts & stops, and time between stopping and re-starting.

Personally, for the ability to use 100% most of the year, the potential to use less dinodiesel overall, the cheaper kit price, the easier installation (no extra tank etc..), I think you see where my money would be spent, on the Elsbett kit.
                              Cheers for that Morr - I like your way of thinking.
                              Alora ...oops ...So, final sticking point - how much dino would you need - ratio - on a typical winter morning ? hmmm say typical = -2 Deg C. in order to thin the SVO to the point where it will flow through the pipe at a rate fast enough to inhibit fuel starvation ?

I'm no fluid dynamisist hence the Q...lol.

Incidentally - I was just in my local bike shpop where they were discussing the merits of bio diesel. one guy used it untill his car began to splutter and run irreg. he was informed of its solvent character wrt. varnish etc in the tank....thing is , alot of peeps are getting a poor impression of the idea due to missuse....

Comment

indeed, lets "mooo"ve on
                                Tim
                                Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Working...
                                X