No announcement yet.

veg oil kit - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no cars, you can sit down, its even got tools in it... yep thats a shed!!!
    it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.

Long Chain Fatty Acids seem to be the offending article...my chemistry is a bit rusty...how can you breakdown long chain fatty acid captain beaky ? Alchohol springs to mind but I'm not sure...its been 10 years !
      Add alcohol to fatty acid, heat with a bit of acid, gives you the ester.
      If you want to crack up the fatty acid, you're probably looking at boiling up with a catalyst. I'll have to look this one up!

Peter

I am not a number. I am a FREE MAN!

Comment

so if we wrap an electric blanket round matt,and get him drunk, he will turn into a thats life presenter....
        it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainBeaky
          Add alcohol to fatty acid, heat with a bit of acid, gives you the ester.
          If you want to crack up the fatty acid, you're probably looking at boiling up with a catalyst. I'll have to look this one up!

Kewl Beaky.

Did chem at liverpool 10 years ago..enthalpy ? whats that !
          my life is in complete entropy.....

Chillit - dude 3rd rock or closer ?
          lol....

I'll get the camera out on mine and put you all to shame with its grungy appeal. your shed is more of an escape pod - with 1st class seats....
          Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

all sheds are escape pods!
            it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Kewl Beaky.

Did chem at liverpool 10 years ago..enthalpy ? whats that !
              my life is in complete entropy.....
              Sheffield for me, in the footsteps of Krebs. 21 years ago now.
              Hmm - have I got old, and not noticed, or is everyone else getting younger?

Incidentally, have you noticed how the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to desks?

No matter how much effort you expend, the entropy level on the desk will ALWAYS increase!
              Peter

Comment

Sheffield for me, in the footsteps of Krebs. 21 years ago now.
                Hmm - have I got old, and not noticed, or is everyone else getting younger?

Incidentally, have you noticed how the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to desks?

No matter how much effort you expend, the entropy level on the desk will ALWAYS increase!

Isnt that the same for most things ?
                Maybe thermodynamics need a new face for the 2000's...

This one always amuzes me greatly....

THERMODYNAMICS OF HELL
                The following is an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid term. The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well.

Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat)or endothermic(absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law, (gas cools off when it expands and heats up when it is compressed) or some variant. One student, however, wrote the following:

First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate that souls are moving into Hell and the rate they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, lets look at the different religions that exist in the world today. Some of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there are more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added. This gives two possibilities:

1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.

2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.

So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year, "...that it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you.", and take into account the fact that I still have not succeeded in having sexual relations with her, then, #2 cannot be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and will not freeze.

The student received the only "A" given.

Brilliant !

Do you work in the industry now then ?

Comment

Isnt that the same for most things ?
                  Maybe thermodynamics need a new face for the 2000's...

This one always amuzes me greatly....

THERMODYNAMICS OF HELL
                  [snip, snip, snippetty snip]
                  ROFL!

Do you work in the industry now then ?
                  Sort of - worked in industrial water treatment for 17 years, now working in FM, working for an erstwhile customer, looking after all the water systems on campus.
                  Keeps me off the streets and gainfully employed

You?
                  Peter

Comment

ROFL!

Sort of - worked in industrial water treatment for 17 years, now working in FM, working for an erstwhile customer, looking after all the water systems on campus.
                    Keeps me off the streets and gainfully employed

You?
                    Ah me I'm a lost boy...

Got an degree in environmental Physical Science at Liverpool, (included all core chemistry modules upto 3rd year) hoped to work in the water industry but they all wanted 2 years experience or you got to go and volunteer for experience....was a mature student so needed to earn...landed a job in smellycomms with Marconi and been there ever since....

boy do I miss the outdoors...

As Marconi is now making everyone redundant - I'm on the look out !

I play chemistry at home with epoxies - fabricating surf boards and such to amuze my creative streak.....

still just about employed tho but will see what happens in the not too distant !

baby on route now..2 weeks to touch down...

Was also thinking about medical repping but Am I relally a sales man ...perhaps not !

Comment

you should start making sun screens and rear spoilers for surfs....
                      it's in me shed, mate.

Comment

Ah me I'm a lost boy...

[snip]
                        still just about employed tho but will see what happens in the not too distant !

baby on route now..2 weeks to touch down...

Was also thinking about medical repping but Am I relally a sales man ...perhaps not !
                        Several of the water treatment companies are recruiting for techie types at the mo' - try Plant & Works Engineering or the Water Management Society website.
                        I'll have a look in the WMSoc journal and see if I can find anything.

Regards

Fingers crossed with the sprog! Get some sleep in now you'll need it
                        Peter

Comment

Several of the water treatment companies are recruiting for techie types at the mo' - try Plant & Works Engineering or the Water Management Society website.
                          I'll have a look in the WMSoc journal and see if I can find anything.

Regards

Fingers crossed with the sprog! Get some sleep in now you'll need it
                          Thanks Very much for that pointer Captain !
                          I'm techy and in need of recruitment .......

I'll have a search and see what I can find.

Many thanks again and sorry I didnt get back to thread for some time !

Regds.

Ron.

BTW - Chillit - not enough dosh in screens and spoilers ! afterall how many would I make ?

Incidentally - just got quoted 950 Euros for an Elsbett single tank jobbie....phoar thats a bit steep for me at the mo....
                          Last edited by FlySurfer - Edy.; 31 August 2005, 10:23.

Comment

Thanks Very much for that pointer Captain !
                            I'm techy and in need of recruitment .......

I'll have a search and see what I can find.
                            Ron

H2O Chemicals
                            www.h2ochemicals.co.uk

are looking for sales and tech staff - email fcoates@h2ochemicals.co.uk

Also HydroTech Environmental
                            Unit 33, Meadow Mills,
                            Dixon Street, Kidderminster. DY10 1HH

And

Clearwater are looking for people throughout the UK (although not sure if this ad is current issue or previous magazine)

Post or email CV & covering letter to

Mrs Jacqui McGee
                            Clearwater Technology Ltd
                            Minster Court
                            Tuscam Way,
                            Camberley,
                            Surrey. GU15 3YY

jacqui.mcgee@clearwater-technology.ltd.uk

All I can find at the mo'

Regards
                            Peter

Comment

Many thanks Captain.

I'll be checking them out...the pain in the behind is that I'm limited to L.pool and the area due to wife and imminent kid...

checking em out now...

R.

Comment

going for the veg

Well rising diesel prices AGAIN have forced me to act,
                                Got 60 litre of veg oil at Costco this lunchtime £8.49 for 20 litre drum (42.45ppl). Have also sent off the EX103 form off.

Decided not to get a all-in-one VEG CONVERSION kit - due to cost, and vehicle has done 150k miles.

So going to fit an electric fuel line heater (ebaY) and a coolant heat exhanger and see how i get on with that setup, may put in a 2 tank system eventually.

- But I also want to convert the much lower mileage (50 k) Scooby to LPG, and that costs around 1200 - assuming i can get a grant still for that conversion.
                                Landcruiser Colorado
                                Sub. Forester

Comment

Working...
                                X