veg oil kit - is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssray
    you hav two 3 way valves, when on veg the return goes into the veg tank when on diesel it switches back.
    Cheers for the reply - when you say diese switches back - you mean like the veg - the return feed back to the diesel start tank ? - that makes pefrect sense if so - I'm going to do this conversion - has to be the way to go.

just getting the knowledge sorted - then for the bits. dont fancy the 500 quid price tag on those kites you see.

where to get the 2 x 3 way solenoids or a 6 way one ?

- Un_discovered - I'm fairly sure you can put veg oil in the petrol engine - but dont expect it to work anymore. Diesel and veg oil - squeeze and pop - Petrol engine - sparky burn. totally different from a veg oil POV.
    Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

the other question - if the ambient temp drops to say -6 how does veggie oil fair ? would it need a heater in the tank or will it still be viscous enough to flow throught the pipes ?

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
        the other question - if the ambient temp drops to say -6 how does veggie oil fair ? would it need a heater in the tank or will it still be viscous enough to flow throught the pipes ?

I'm guessing that you would have areal lumpy start unless it went through a pre-heating stage to operate effectively
        Gaz

Comment

Originally posted by Gizmo
          I'm guessing that you would have areal lumpy start unless it went through a pre-heating stage to operate effectively
          Cheers gizmo - I realize I'll need a heat exchanger up before the fuel pump, but what about en route from tank to pump ? 5 x thicker than diesel in the tank so would it still flow to the heat exchanger or would it need another heater at the tank side ?

Comment

just back from long weekend - thanks for advice and comments on this subject
            will look into it more, but seems a good move

ta
            andy
            Landcruiser Colorado
            Sub. Forester

Comment

check out the how to files here http://vegoilconversions.netfirms.com/ i bought them and will start when henry sleeps thru the night(13mths) also check out here http://www.frybrid.com/test.htm he`s a english guy who lives in seattle now, v good site lots of info, if you look on the forum he has even put the instructions for fitting his kit.I was going to use a pollack 6 port valve but have heard that they can fail if you get them to hot.the return goes into the solonoid and then either into the veg or diesel tanks depending on how it`s set.
              Last edited by ssray; 16 August 2005, 08:21.

Comment

I could be tempted down the bio route too if the prices keep escalating...

If a few people got together would it be worthwhile going direct to a manufacturer/importer?

Iranian Sunflower Oil
                Fear of death is the beginning of slavery

Comment

Originally posted by FlySurfer - Edy.
                  One sticking point I have at the moment....

How do you avoid returning veg oil to the diesel tank and thus polluting the diesel ? Actually - if using a diesel start up tank you'd return deisel tot he veg oil tank wouldnt you ? is that a problem at all ?
                  A better solution is to loop the return line back into the inlet line - this has the advantages of:

1 - only needing one 3 way valve
                  2 - reducing strain on the fuel pump as you are not lifting as much fuel from the tank
                  3 - reducing strain on the fuel pump as you are re-circulating heated oil

all you need is a T-piece....

Comment

return looped back to the IP is a possible problem if you get air in the system, it will no get purged out.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkymonkey
                      A better solution is to loop the return line back into the inlet line - this has the advantages of:

1 - only needing one 3 way valve
                      2 - reducing strain on the fuel pump as you are not lifting as much fuel from the tank
                      3 - reducing strain on the fuel pump as you are re-circulating heated oil

all you need is a T-piece....
                      A few possible snags with this.....

As mentioned above, bleeding the system becomes problematic.
                      This will also greatly increase the purge time required before shutting down.
                      On Bosch pumps such as ours it may indeed reduce strain on the pump, however on worn pumps (and certainly on Lucas/Cav pumps such as on Lamerovers etc) this can increase wear in the pump due to the extra heat from the recirculated oil.

This is a common solution, and its certainly cheap and easy, but its generally not considered better. A proper 6 way valve, or a pair of 3 way's is the best solution.
                      Last edited by Morr; 17 August 2005, 09:43.
                      Maurice
                      Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Yeah - I actually use a loop but with a valve attached so I can either loop it (99% of the time) or when there is air in the system fopr instance after a fuel change I can send the stuff back to the tank....

Comment

2 tank or 1 tank system

So looks like I will have to way-up between a 2-tank system or an Elsbett 1-tank system.
                          the cost seems about the same. but dont fancy having a 2nd tank taking up boot space.
                          but can you run the truck on diesel with Elsbett system and its modified injectors/glow plugs?
                          - for example if you go on a really long journey and cant get any veg.
                          Landcruiser Colorado
                          Sub. Forester

Comment

Originally posted by andycook
                            So looks like I will have to way-up between a 2-tank system or an Elsbett 1-tank system.
                            the cost seems about the same. but dont fancy having a 2nd tank taking up boot space.
                            but can you run the truck on diesel with Elsbett system and its modified injectors/glow plugs?
                            - for example if you go on a really long journey and cant get any veg.
                            That's one of the beauties of the elsbett system, form 100% veg to 100% dinodiesel, and any ratio in-between, no problem.
                            Note however that they do not recommend its use with waste oil, only new. Although that won't bother most people, plus I reckon that properly filtered you could still use a high ratio of WVO with the elsbett if desired.
                            Maurice
                            Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

But if making your own system - what solenoid or valves to go for ?

Comment

check out smartveg valves £34.99 2 end up over £80 with p+p, i`d order from frybrid in the us but i`m not sure how much it would cost all in,i.e. if you get hit for tax etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X