Auto gearbox and clutch wear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto gearbox and clutch wear

I know if you use your clutch to stop car from rolling back (i.e., keep clutch at biting point) in traffic/slope, you will wear it out prematurely, but what if you use the brake, is the clutch still biting? Or would I be better off selecting N everytime I stop at traffic?

Absolutely. Into neutral and handbrake on , especially if you know you're gonna be waiting for more than 30 seconds.

Comment

Originally posted by Newboy
      I know if you use your clutch to stop car from rolling back (i.e., keep clutch at biting point) in traffic/slope, you will wear it out prematurely, but what if you use the brake, is the clutch still biting? Or would I be better off selecting N everytime I stop at traffic?
      An auto gearbox doesn't have a clutch (does it?)
      Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulh
        nah... torque converter... have a look at http://auto.howstuffworks.com/torque-converter.htm
        will reveal all!!...
        nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

There's still a clutch (plate) in an autobox(?). It only does away with the clutch pedal.
          If I remember right, an auto box uses valves and pressure of the lube to sense whether it needs changing

Comment

There's still a clutch (plate) in an autobox(?). It only does away with the clutch pedal.
            If I remember right, an auto box uses valves and pressure of the lube to sense whether it needs changing

no clutch

the new rangerover autos have a different type cos it's an electronic box (i think).... regular clutch / gearbox but with computer control

Comment

There are clutches in an autobox , but not the same as a manual car . I know as I have blown them apart in the past .
              Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Just checked with no1 son who is a mechanic - No clutch in an auto gearbox, as said above its a torque converter which works by spinning oil inside a chamber (but it's slightly more sophisticated than that).

Paul

Comment

not like a conventional clutch though... they're sommet to do with locking the gears in... don't think they get much wear cos they're either "on" or "off"... but autos are a bit of a mystery!

Comment

Just checked with no1 son who is a mechanic - No clutch in an auto gearbox, as said above its a torque converter which works by spinning oil inside a chamber (but it's slightly more sophisticated than that).
                    I am a number 1 mechanic and I know my onions and this page agrees with me :
                    http://auto.howstuffworks.com/automa...nsmission5.htm
                    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Clutches or no clutches (I'll not argue ) I don't think it actually does any harm to leave the car in gear when stationary, maybe just uses a bit more juice as the engine is still trying to drive the car foreward.

Paul

Comment

I would have thought the fluid temp will rise doing that.

Comment

The 'clutches' in an autobox are used to stop various parts of the epicyclic geartrain (bit like a series of complicated differential gears) revolving. Once a gear is engaged, the clutch does not wear as the appropriate part of the geartrain is then stationary. They are heavily engineered and run fully immersed in auto fluid and are designed to last a lifetime or more.

The equivalent component to the manual gearbox clutch is the torque convertor, which is a fluid coupling between the engine crank and the gearbox. It's a bit like stirring a cup of tea with a spoon. So you can stay all day with a gear selected and the brake on. Nothing will wear out - but you will be doing work in the torque convertor and work = energy = fuel. If you drop into N, you will save a small amount of fuel.

Kev

Comment

only stick mine in N occasionally or if im messing around freewheeling to r/b's etc.
                            Who said autos are no fun
                            Tim
                            Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
                              I am a number 1 mechanic and I know my onions and this page agrees with me :
                              Way to bang your drum!
                              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
                              X