Veg oil fuel ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
    I haven't been back to this thread for a while. Good to see the progress being made. I am only dabbling at the moment, throwing in the odd 5 gals, but it is hard work pouring it into the filler from the drum.
    Im seriously considering fitting a second tank in the void where the spare wheel carrier used to be. I could then start on deisel and switch over to vegoil when the tank has reached a sufficient temperature.
    The vegoil tank could be heated by modifying the exhaust system. I wonder if thats the way to go? Could get an interesting exhaust note too!

I too had a similar notion, even measured up the space and did some rough sketches as to the size and shape of tank I could fit there. I then figured that I could have the exhaust modified to relocate the box to where the spare wheel was, thus leaving room for an even bigger, less complicated tank under the drivers side floor opposite the original tank, this would also avoid having all that extra weight behind the rear axle. (don't know if this is as applicable to you, as yours is I believe a 2nd gen, have a look and see)
    Having said all that, I've now decieded to modify the fuel rather than the vehicle and hope to be making my own biodiesel within the next 3 to 6 months instead.
    With regard to using exhaust heat the concensus on most of the veg-oil forums is don't do it, this has been discussed often and at length, using a heat exchanger in the water system is the way to go. check out the forums at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel and http://biodiesel.infopop.cc

The first primarly deals with using waste oil whilst the second, despite its name covers everything from biodiesel to waste oil to other alternative energies.
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
      I too had a similar notion, even measured up the space and did some rough sketches as to the size and shape of tank I could fit there. I then figured that I could have the exhaust modified to relocate the box to where the spare wheel was, thus leaving room for an even bigger, less complicated tank under the drivers side floor opposite the original tank, this would also avoid having all that extra weight behind the rear axle. (don't know if this is as applicable to you, as yours is I believe a 2nd gen, have a look and see)
      Having said all that, I've now decieded to modify the fuel rather than the vehicle and hope to be making my own biodiesel within the next 3 to 6 months instead.
      With regard to using exhaust heat the concensus on most of the veg-oil forums is don't do it, this has been discussed often and at length, using a heat exchanger in the water system is the way to go. check out the forums at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel and http://biodiesel.infopop.cc

The first primarly deals with using waste oil whilst the second, despite its name covers everything from biodiesel to waste oil to other alternative energies.

Just a thought: is that a wise move! to advertise wot you doing with a spare tank HM and all that [could easily detect tank under surf at say MOT time]
      Enjoying Life after Cancer
      Pops

Comment

Alternative fuels

I know it's not quite the same thread but similar.

Is it possible to use old engine lubricating oil to run the car? Every time I change the oil, I am always wondering what to do with the old oil. I usually end up taking it to the household refuse place nearby, but have often wondered if it could be mixed with fuel and burnt.

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe

Just a thought: is that a wise move! to advertise wot you doing with a spare tank HM and all that [could easily detect tank under surf at say MOT time]
          But surely like any good upstanding, forthright, honest member of society you would declare all your consumption to the relevant authorities and pay any monies due …..

….. Or you could just wing it, and claim the extra tank is required to compensate for the crappy capacity of the original tank and is used only for regular Diesel (‘Onist Guv) to extend the vehicles range, thank you very much sir.

And the extra plumbing and heat exchangers are for your regular bi-monthly trips to the arctic where they’re required to keep the Diesel from gelling.

Seriously though, if you are using waste oil in a dual tank set-up, than it is genuinely feasible to pay the duty on the oil and still make considerable savings compared to buying DinoDiesel. (Not to mention the environmental savings) It is a relatively straightforward process in the UK to register as an experimental fuel producer and make monthly returns.
          Maurice

Comment

But surely like any good upstanding, forthright, honest member of society you would declare all your consumption to the relevant authorities and pay any monies due …..

….. Or you could just wing it, and claim the extra tank is required to compensate for the crappy capacity of the original tank and is used only for regular Diesel (‘Onist Guv) to extend the vehicles range, thank you very much sir.

And the extra plumbing and heat exchangers are for your regular bi-monthly trips to the arctic where they’re required to keep the Diesel from gelling.

Seriously though, if you are using waste oil in a dual tank set-up, than it is genuinely feasible to pay the duty on the oil and still make considerable savings compared to buying DinoDiesel. (Not to mention the environmental savings) It is a relatively straightforward process in the UK to register as an experimental fuel producer and make monthly returns.
            Getting complicated now. would the savings be worth all the hasstle of refining old veg oil after you pay the afore mentioned
            bodies there wedge.
            Pops

Comment

Originally posted by robnw67
              I know it's not quite the same thread but similar.

Is it possible to use old engine lubricating oil to run the car? Every time I change the oil, I am always wondering what to do with the old oil. I usually end up taking it to the household refuse place nearby, but have often wondered if it could be mixed with fuel and burnt.
              This is also something that crops up from time to time in the veg-oil community, the simple answer is yet it will burn in a Diesel engine (when mixed with regular Diesel) with broadly similar characteristics to Diesel. However, from an environmental viewpoint it's just as bad as pouring it down the drain!

Don’t Do It !

The waste engine oil contains heavy metals from the inside of the engine, it also contains various noxious chemicals from its original composition and as a result of its time spent in the engine. Burning this oil will release these compounds into the atmosphere, a definite no no. Also from an environmental viewpoint with regard to the carbon cycle, it’s based on fossil fuel and once its gone, its gone. Unlike the veg-oil scenario you cannot grow more of it.
              Best to send it for recycling in the normal manner, please don’t burn it.
              Maurice

Comment

This is also something that crops up from time to time in the veg-oil community, the simple answer is yet it will burn in a Diesel engine (when mixed with regular Diesel) with broadly similar characteristics to Diesel. However, from an environmental viewpoint it's just as bad as pouring it down the drain!

Don’t Do It !

The waste engine oil contains heavy metals from the inside of the engine, it also contains various noxious chemicals from its original composition and as a result of its time spent in the engine. Burning this oil will release these compounds into the atmosphere, a definite no no. Also from an environmental viewpoint with regard to the carbon cycle, it’s based on fossil fuel and once its gone, its gone. Unlike the veg-oil scenario you cannot grow more of it.
                Best to send it for recycling in the normal manner, please don’t burn it.
                Blimmey Maurice, what did you pour on your corn flakes this morning?
                getting so technical this early in the day.
                Pops

Comment

Getting complicated now. would the savings be worth all the hasstle of refining old veg oil after you pay the afore mentioned
                  bodies there wedge.
                  Well I guess you've gotta do your sums first, but a rapidly growing number of people world-wide have decided its definitely worth doing. How many are actually paying any duties is questionable, how many have been caught is also very questionable, a lot of hype but very little evidence of people getting caught and/or fined.

There are certainly monetary savings to be made, but for a large percentage of users, especially those making biodiesel rather than using straight veg-oil, the greatest potential saving are not necessarily monetary, but rather relate to environmental impact and to a lesser degree the potential economic benefit to ones own country. This includes regard to levels of imports v exports, local and sustainable employment, retention of capital within the economy etc etc etc etc, the list goes on.

For most users cost and environment remain the two largest motivators.
                  Maurice

Comment

Blimmey Maurice, what did you pour on your corn flakes this morning?
                    getting so technical this early in the day.

Well I'm technical by trade (aircraft mechanic), tho these days I'm in the comfort of a sometimes warm office, been at the keys since 7:20 this morning but not had breakfast yet, waitin till 10am than its time for the fry-up
                    Maurice

Comment

Well I guess you've gotta do your sums first, but a rapidly growing number of people world-wide have decided its definitely worth doing. How many are actually paying any duties is questionable, how many have been caught is also very questionable, a lot of hype but very little evidence of people getting caught and/or fined.

There are certainly monetary savings to be made, but for a large percentage of users, especially those making biodiesel rather than using straight veg-oil, the greatest potential saving are not necessarily monetary, but rather relate to environmental impact and to a lesser degree the potential economic benefit to ones own country. This includes regard to levels of imports v exports, local and sustainable employment, retention of capital within the economy etc etc etc etc, the list goes on.

For most users cost and environment remain the two largest motivators.
                      Ooo R. Mrs Morr change his diet.
                      Pops

Comment

Well I'm technical by trade (aircraft mechanic), tho these days I'm in the comfort of a sometimes warm office, been at the keys since 7:20 this morning but not had breakfast yet, waitin till 10am than its time for the fry-up
                        sounds GOOD the fry up i mean can i join you
                        Pops

Comment

Ooo R. Mrs Morr change his diet.
                          She's tryin, but can't see what I eat when I'm in work.
                          Ahhh Coke and choccie bars !!

Actually, I'd better do some !! Work that is, time to log out for a bit methinks, see y'all later

......while I'm havin me fry
                          Last edited by Morr; 3 December 2003, 10:32.
                          Maurice

Comment

She's tryin, but can't see what I eat when I'm in work.
                            Ahhh Coke and choccie bars !!

Actually, I'd better do some !! Work that is, time to log out for a bit methinks, see y'all later

......while I'm havin me fry
                            cya catch u later.
                            by the way terrie says chocolate good for you stops depression
                            Pops

Comment

Popbriscoe, i can confirm that Morr is a aircraft fitter , when i went on me hols via Dublin to Boston with AER LINGUS.

Morr made sure that the airbus went u/s just before we boarded. No probs says me to boss lady, Morr will join us for a wee nippy sweety , hell he was away on his hols - bl**** cheek of it

Sewerat Bob
                              [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Magenta][SIZE=2][B]SEWERAT BOB[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=SeaGreen][I][COLOR=Lime][B]I just sit here & looks out to sea or if i'm really rushed then i just sits here & continues to look out to sea[/B][/COLOR][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sewerat
                                Popbriscoe, i can confirm that Morr is a aircraft fitter , when i went on me hols via Dublin to Boston with AER LINGUS.

Morr made sure that the airbus went u/s just before we boarded. No probs says me to boss lady, Morr will join us for a wee nippy sweety , hell he was away on his hols - bl**** cheek of it

Sewerat Bob
                                Ah thats the thing, ya can always rely on the scarebus to go u/s, so many 'puters in it, it gets confused, poor thing.
                                Actually, I've never worked on an airbus, when I left the Hangar floor Aer Fungus still had an all Boeing fleet.
                                Maurice

Comment

Working...
                                X