• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

34% saving at 37p/litre veg
    [COLOR=red]Simon [/COLOR] '91 2.4td ssr-x

Comment

Originally posted by stara
      a 50/50 mix at 75p/litre for diesel and 47p/litre for vegoil is equal to 61p per litre of diesel/veg mix, equivalent to saving of 23%, so 22mpg would cost the same as 27mpg (22x1.23), 24mpg=29.5mpg etc......or £10.00 worth of fuel would cost £8.13. For me, this represents a saving of about £7.50 a week, so it's not really worth it for me, someone using £100 per week would save £18.70, is it worth the hassle?

As I use in excess of £200 a week, any saving is worthwhile. Once I can see how far I can push the mix should be more of a saving.
      Dave ssrx 3.0td Ltd auto Gen2

Comment

Originally posted by ssrx
        As I use in excess of £200 a week, any saving is worthwhile. Once I can see how far I can push the mix should be more of a saving.
        I wouldn't push it too far, 50/50 is probably about the max in winter months, as the oil can partly settle out of the diesel overnight, and could gel, once your running however hot fuel is recirculated to the tank more or less continuosly.

Its not just the money saving, using vegoil as a fuel is far more envoirnmentally (can't spell)friendly. Its a carbon neutral fuel, as the carbon emmited when burned is equiveent to the carbon adsorbed by the plant to produce the oil. Therefore its net contribution to the global co2 problem is nil it will still emits other noxious gasses, but at a lower level than DinoDiesel.
        Maurice
        Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Keep flying the green flag Morr.
          I was talking to my brother and he says that you can run 90% if it is heated and a tweaked up pump is used. A South African colleague says they ran all their farm machinary and trucks on pure sunflower oil ( they grew the sunflowers on the farm and added the by product to the cattle feed ).
          Only word of warning: While on holiday in Lincolnshire last June HM Customs and Excise nicked a guy, for fuel tax evasion, in the Asda car park. Mind you he was filling up right outside the shop and using the shopping trolley to balance the drum on
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
            Keep flying the green flag Morr.
            I was talking to my brother and he says that you can run 90% if it is heated and a tweaked up pump is used............

You can even run on 100% with the right equipment, elsbett in germany can supply kits including tanks, heaters, new injectore etc to enable usage of 100% vegoil.

Most people do their own conversions, using a dual tank setup to start and shut down on dinodiesel and running the rest of the time on 100% reclaimed/filtered/dryed etc WASTE vegtable oil, now thats cheap motoring. I was goin to install such a system in the Surf, but I'm currently leaning towards making Biodiesel from WVO (Waste Oil) instead.
            Maurice

Comment

Nice one Maurice. I like the idea of all things environmentally friendly. I have been experimenting with wind powered electric generators and when we go camping we don't need electric hookup. I have a generator powered by a Sevonius Rotor and built around a Volvo wheel hub and bearing. It will charge 12v cell banks at 10A in a 10MPH wind.
              Once the batteries are fully charged ( I'm getting carried away now) the excess could be used to seperate the hydrogen and oxygen from water and use the hydrogen to power an internal combustion engine to generate power when the wind is not blowing. Any left over H2 could run a sparky car engine, central heating boiler, gas stove (provided the jets are adjusted by a qualified Corgi engineer). If we become too self sufficient, the Gov' will have to find new ways to tax us
              It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                Nice one Maurice. I like the idea of all things environmentally friendly. I have been experimenting with wind powered electric generators and when we go camping we don't need electric hookup. I have a generator powered by a Sevonius Rotor and built around a Volvo wheel hub and bearing. It will charge 12v cell banks at 10A in a 10MPH wind.
                Once the batteries are fully charged ( I'm getting carried away now) the excess could be used to seperate the hydrogen and oxygen from water and use the hydrogen to power an internal combustion engine to generate power when the wind is not blowing. Any left over H2 could run a sparky car engine, central heating boiler, gas stove (provided the jets are adjusted by a qualified Corgi engineer). If we become too self sufficient, the Gov' will have to find new ways to tax us
                no need to use swear word [gov]
                Enjoying Life after Cancer
                Pops

Comment

Well been running on 50/50 now for a couple of days, covered 2500k. Only had one problem first morning, was a bit lumpy starting but a good rev and all was fine. Not sure if this was damp as steam cleaned evening before or the veg oil.

Engine sounds quieter and not noticed any loss of performance at all. On this mix there is no chippy smell but does take the edge off diesel fumes.

Made enquiries with a company in Wolverhampton who supply/fit second tank and heater to run on 100% veg oil. 395 supply only 795 fitted.

Will keep you informed.

Comment

Cant find this veg oil in our kwik save for 37p a litre, so stuck paying 47p, unless anyone knows different.

Comment

Well still going strong. Now got local chippy supplying used oil FREE. have set up filter system for it, so should be filtering approx 20 gallons a week.

Tries the first filtered lot out, works just as well at the minute but did notice bit of a smell to it. hadn't better get oil from the Indian !!!

Savings have kisked in nicely even with buying fresh oil.

Comment

Well still going strong. Now got local chippy supplying used oil FREE. have set up filter system for it, so should be filtering approx 20 gallons a week.

Tries the first filtered lot out, works just as well at the minute but did notice bit of a smell to it. hadn't better get oil from the Indian !!!

Savings have kisked in nicely even with buying fresh oil.
                        what are you using to filter it
                        Enjoying Life after Cancer
                        Pops

Comment

Originally posted by popbriscoe
                          what are you using to filter it

Got hold of a big pond filter box, first layer is small grit type material, followed by a foam layer, then a charcoal filter and finally a fine gauze filter.

All oil then filters out through what would have been water outlet into a paper filter and then a drum. Used some of it to good effect already, but as previous have noticed some smell from it.

Comment

Dude, respect to you and all but I sure do hope that HM isnt reading this ! LoL.
                            Nili secundum desperandum

Comment

Got hold of a big pond filter box, first layer is small grit type material, followed by a foam layer, then a charcoal filter and finally a fine gauze filter.

All oil then filters out through what would have been water outlet into a paper filter and then a drum. Used some of it to good effect already, but as previous have noticed some smell from it.
                              Make sure to keep spare fuel filters and the neccessary tools to change it with you, just incase the pond filter can't filter fine enough. Most diesel filters are rated at 10 microns, some newer ones go as low as 5 or even 3 microns.
                              Most users advocate filtering used oil to a minimum of 10 microns before use. (human hair is approx 27microns!!)

Great to have a fellow vegoiler onboard, keep reading the vegoil sites as there is plenty of good info out there.

Two more lists for you to try are
                              http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vegoil-diesel/
                              http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=447609751
                              Maurice

Comment

Veggie oil is for the oiks, I'm using extra virgin!

Seriously though, i'm gonna give it a try. will start of at max 50/50 and see how things go for a few weeks.

Does using fresh oil smell any different? I spend a lot of time in traffic!
                                '94 3.0TD SSR-G Limited Green over Silver, mmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

Working...
                                X