Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UDTrev
    Now that is a BIG "I wish"

hmmmmmmmmmmmm imagine a Surf doing 50mpg on Veg Oil ?????

Heaven

Trev

ps forgot one thing - and parking it on a green welly's foot !!!!!!
    TREV i take it that you only declare OIL that you have used as you also run on DIESEL.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky
      TREV i take it that you only declare OIL that you have used as you also run on DIESEL.
      Yep, NOT paying the duty twice !!!!!!

Trev
      Look out Eastbourne, the Pandas are coming !

Comment

Trev
        ive used 15L of Veg oil in car been ok no trouble. i didnt know i had to wait for the tax forms
        now ive been intouch with the guy who does my servicing and mechanical work and explained what i was doiig and after a big intake of breath he said DONT PUT ANYMORE IN. no he gone into depth about pros and cons saying i may save a little with no ill effects but its only a matter of time before my fule pump packs in and its gunna cost big time, now please dont think im questioning your knowledge, but i need some reassurances here i know you cant say nothing is going to happen to my pump, but is it likely to cause or have we heard of it causing damage to engine/fuel pumps if done im eally bricking it now i trust this guy and he does good work and knows his stuff but i dont know if hes just airing on the side of caution for me..... really unsure
        if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

Hi,

I've done around 15,000km using the veg oil mix without problem, and I'll beat Morr has done more.

Whilst I cannot speak for him, I know my pump (and the rest of the engine) still going strong

Now obviously there is more of a strain when you have a heavy mix in winter (thicker Veg oil) but I cannot see that being the case in summer.

Trev

Comment

i cant make sence of this form at all... can some one tell me what to put in wat boxes? or post a scan with arrows explaining its a pain in the neck...

Comment

Veg Oil is Acidic

Originally posted by firefly
              Trev
              ive used 15L of Veg oil in car been ok no trouble. i didnt know i had to wait for the tax forms
              now ive been intouch with the guy who does my servicing and mechanical work and explained what i was doiig and after a big intake of breath he said DONT PUT ANYMORE IN. no he gone into depth about pros and cons saying i may save a little with no ill effects but its only a matter of time before my fule pump packs in and its gunna cost big time, now please dont think im questioning your knowledge, but i need some reassurances here i know you cant say nothing is going to happen to my pump, but is it likely to cause or have we heard of it causing damage to engine/fuel pumps if done im eally bricking it now i trust this guy and he does good work and knows his stuff but i dont know if hes just airing on the side of caution for me..... really unsure
              I'm on the verg (not veg) of buying a two tank system from www.Dieselveg.com. I've done a fair bit of research and I came across info re problems with fuel pumps (actually it was just a report about one fuel pump) and it all boils down to the fact that veg oil is acidic and erodes steel. That said, there are a couple of things to bear in mind:
              (1) Not all fuel pumps are born equal! Some are much more suited to veg oil than others - in fact some just won't work at all. As far as I'm aware the best cars for using veg oil are old Mercs. Toyota's like our beloved Surfs come in a close second. Regarding this point I'd be interested to hear if anyone has done any research regarding the durability of Surf Fuel pumps when used with veg oil.
              (2) Even if the pump does pack in lets say after 30,000kms. How much would you have saved on fuel? Based at current prices it would cost about £2,550 to do 30,000km. You'd save almost £1,350 by using veg oil. So worst case scenario is that your fuel saving would pay for a new pump and still leave you with some savings. But then there are the environmental concerns to think about and to be fair you can't really put a price on that.

Hope that eases your mind a little.
              Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Probably just pure coincidence but my 2.4 ran as sweet as a nut until i started using 50/50 mix veg oil. Within 2k miles the engine started getting a distinct heavy diesel knock and although it drives sweet the knock has worsened and sounds like a bag of spanners. Waiting till i can afford to get it checked properly. All the so called "experts" in our local garages have told me it`s everything from tappets through to small end and big ends. Only one suggested pump probs. As i said, probably just coincidence but you try telling the other half that.

Ken
                God bless gaffer tape and mastic!

Comment

Originally posted by firefly
                  ..........he said DONT PUT ANYMORE IN. no he gone into depth about pros and cons saying i may save a little with no ill effects but its only a matter of time before my fule pump packs in ....................... i trust this guy and he does good work and knows his stuff but i dont know if hes just airing on the side of caution for me..... really unsure
                  The best thing you can do to reassure yourself is to research the topic yourself on the many vegoil websites and forums around. Whilst all will obviously have a bias toward using veggie, the greater breadth of experience you find will help increase your own knowledge and confidence of the subject.
                  Your mechanic is no doubt acting in your best interests telling you to cease use of veggie, however he is most likely more ignorant of the the topic than many users simply as he has not had cause to investigate the use of alternative fuels.
                  From many websites you will find data of vehicles which have covered large distances, often over 100,000 miles using vegoil without any form of mechanical failure due to its use.

I've done around 15,000km using the veg oil mix without problem, and I'll beat Morr has done more.
                  Whilst I cannot speak for him, I know my pump (and the rest of the engine) still going strong
                  Now obviously there is more of a strain when you have a heavy mix in winter (thicker Veg oil) but I cannot see that being the case in summer.
                  Spot on Trev. I've covered around 20 to 25,000Km with various ratios of veggie, anything up to around 75/80% (ish) and to date have had no difficulties of any kind. One of the reasons I bought my Surf (aside completely from having had a 2nd Gen a few years back and always regretting selling it) was my desire to use vegoil in an effort to amend for my intervening years with 4.0 gas guzzling Jags. After much research thru the net I found that the Toyota diesel fitted to the Surfs is well suited to the use of veggie.

Have a look at the main thread on veggie here, actually that was started off by SSRX, who was clocking up huge mileages if I recall, wonder how he's getting on as doubtless he's covered more veggie miles that Trev and I together if he's kept it up. He's not been on here since January tho.

Originally posted by Nednil
                  ...........veg oil is acidic and erodes steel. That said, there are a couple of things to bear in mind:
                  (1) Not all fuel pumps are born equal! Some are much more suited to veg oil than others - in fact some just won't work at all. As far as I'm aware the best cars for using veg oil are old Mercs. Toyota's like our beloved Surfs come in a close second.
                  Rob, not all vegoil that we may consider burning is acidic. Its true to say it starts off that way but the main processes it undergoes before use as a food for human consumption are degumming and de-acidification, both these process make it both suitable as a food and as a fuel. Used or waste oil (WVO) however is acidic, and should be de-acidified or converted to biodiesel before use as a fuel, although in practise many use WVO without de-acidifing.
                  As you say, certain Merc's are known to be ideal for use with veggie, with many in warmer climes using theirs on 100% SVO (new Straight Vegetable Oil) without any modification.
                  As you correctly point out, one of the most important considerations is the fuel pump. Generally the Lucas/Cav pumps which are a rotary vane type I believe, have proved to be unreliable when used with SVO or WVO, and can fail quite quickly. Bosch fuel pumps however are of a different design & appear robust enough for use with SVO & de-acidified WVO without difficulty. The Surf uses a Japanese built licenced version of the Bosch pump.

Phew, a bit long, but I hope the info is useful.

Heres some links to check out ....(in no particular order)

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb....51&f=159605551
                  http://www.northwales.org.uk/bio-power/svo.htm
                  http://danalinscott.netfirms.com/
                  http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/r...les_vegoil.pdf
                  http://www.corkcity.ie/ourservices/r...dixvegoils.pdf
                  http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...base/index.php
                  Last edited by Morr; 11 April 2005, 08:37.
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Thanks Morr,

In fact I stand corrected on the acidic thing. After I made my post last night I mailed www.DieselVeg.com to see what they had to say on the matter and not suprising they agreed with you, i.e that new veg oil is not acidic and that used oil is and should treated / cleaned (as we know) before use.

Hopefully won't be long before the kit is purchased and I join the growing list of veggy surfers!

Thanks again,

Rob
                    Constantly Striving to Attain Lower Standards

Comment

Rob what kit are you buying from where and how much lots of questions i know oh and are you doing the mods yerssen
                      if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

doods help!
                        i just phoned the customs&excise and they said that if i used "new" veg oil from a shop i would pay the same duty as for deisel
                        the only way i can pay the lower rate 28p or whatever is by using used waste veg oil from a takeaway or resteraunt or something and treat it to make it into biodiesel.
                        so what do i do?

Comment

errrrm dunno im about to fill in my form
                          Tim
                          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

Folks,

May I suggest you read Firefly's comments at the end of page 1 of this thread

Trev

Comment

Folks,

May I suggest you read Firefly's comments at the end of page 1 of this thread

Trev
                              yeh i read that but that would involve putting veg oil in the tank that is bought at a supermarket in my case which would mean i have to pay "full" fuel duty on it
                              the woman at the office said that the only way i could put veg oil in my tank and pay the reduced rate was if it was waste veg oil that had been treated, now do the excise office require receipts or something to prove that this is waste oil? will they ask to see the treatment facility that i havent got?

im afraid fireflys instructions on filling the form in dont spell it out for me in the abc format i need

help

please
                              Last edited by parn; 13 April 2005, 18:55.

Comment

Originally posted by parn
                                yeh i read that but that would involve putting veg oil in the tank that is bought at a supermarket in my case which would mean i have to pay "full" fuel duty on it
                                the woman at the office said that the only way i could put veg oil in my tank and pay the reduced rate was if it was waste veg oil that had been treated, now do the excise office require receipts or something to prove that this is waste oil? will they ask to see the treatment facility that i havent got?

im afraid fireflys instructions on filling the form in dont spell it out for me in the abc format i need

help

please
                                For the EX103 I seem to remember I declared having a length of hose, a funnel and a barrel for equipment, I think I declared the premises to be my home rather than the car.

Trev

Comment

Working...
                                X