1994 4Runner V6 3.0 aka The Beast..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaned Toyota Crest Badge refitted..

I will refit the 4Runner and V6 Badges when I have cleaned them and sourced some suitable Double Sided Tape etc.

Comment

The Roof was next for a full Clay Bar and Polish, and it came out pretty bloody good.. Sure, there are some rust spots here and there which I'll address before Winter kicks in, but with that protective layer of Polish, it'll do for now.. And this exercise was about restoring the Paint to a brilliance that will lessen the difference to the new Paint..

Here you can see the far half of the roof having had the White Light applied and the near half where it has been buffed.

White is not the best "colour" for showing before and after, that's for sure, but trust me when I say that the feel of the Paint, both on the Roof and the Tailgate, has dramatically improved..

Comment

This next Post is a bit of a Technical Reference for anyone wanting to replace, remove or repair External Door Handles.. I learned as I went along with this, so naturally one of the Doors [O/S Rear] took the brunt of the research and has the scars to prove it.. So, in the interest of making it look like I knew what I was doing all along, I'm only posting Photos of the N/S Rear Door..

First remove the Door Card which is bolted to the Door by 2 Bolts in the Arm Rest behind blanking covers, and 1 in the Interior Door Latch.. Push the Door Latch forward to free it.. Then pull around the edge of the Card to release the Keeps, and finally lift up to allow the Card Top to be free of the Door Frame.. If you twist the Door card as you remove, you can push the Latch through the Card so you do not need to remove the Latch Rods..

I removed the Door Liner as best I could, and despite being bin worthy have kept it for later; I will create new ones from a nice piece of Protective Membrane etc.

Next, you will need to gain access to the Bolts that hold the External Handle in place.. These are hidden behind a piece of Plastic that I simply could not remove.. I could see how I might be able to, but it would have involved removing a whole bunch of other stuff to do it.. So, out with the Core Drill Bit..

You can see in the Photo below that I drilled the forward of the two access Holes, but the rear one is typically Toyota with an access hole already in place, but covered by a plastic bung..

Remove the Bung..

..and insert the Drill through the access hole to then penetrate the Plastic.. Peek-a-boo..

10mm Socket does the job.. Easy does it and you can pull the Bolt out in the Socket..

From the inside, you need to push the Yellow Clip up and off the Rod, and then push the Rod out of its Socket.. The below Photos were taken once this had been done, but just illustrate the positioning etc. that you will face..

I then put a bit of Masking Tape [layered from the bottom up] to keep out the Elements.. I am painting this Weekend so just getting everything ready for that..

Is there an easier way..? Please let me [and others] know..

Comment

Here is the Latch and Rod setup on the NS Front Door Handle, just to give you a better idea of what is required.. Front Door Handles were much simpler to remove.. Note the Door Lock Mechanism which has a similar setup, although released to the side, rather than the top..

Only the OS Front Handle remains in place, just so I can get in the 4Runner..

Comment

Working...
          X