Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TJG
    Did that last year at the start of the season, went to get gas, came out with a new caravan! (& forgot the gas)
    We've done that twice its getting expensive
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
    (")_(")

Comment

• weve got our insurance with Shield very resonable
      if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Caravan Insurance

Just tried the above mentioned insurance companies but my current company is still the cheapest. NFU Mutual.

Brian
        LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO WORK FULLTIME

Comment

• Im bringing my Caravan home next Month for a WASH & POLISH bring it on.
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
            Im bringing my Caravan home next Month for a WASH & POLISH bring it on.
            Wimp! I was away in mine last weekend
            Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

• Originally posted by TJG
              Wimp! I was away in mine last weekend
              I was out 3 weeks ago !!!!!!!!!
              Attached Files
              Laugh!!! I nearly bought my own beer.

Paul

Comment

• TOO COLD for me
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

• It's never too cold. We caravan all year round with the Swift Owners Club. This pic was taken this Jan. The surf tows our twin axle conquerer no problem. Just had the tracking adjusted ( it was only 1degree out ) mpg towing 1600 Kg is now 20, up from 18, worth doing!
                  Back is looking a bit saggy, but can't decide on L/cruiser or Milner uprated springs. Need to get done before Spain in june.
                  Attached Files
                  [COLOR=DarkOrange]ONLY STUPID PEOPLE THINK

Comment

• Help please!

Well we've bought a caravan off the wife's uncle. We want to use it this year to see if we like the caravan thing.
                    Oh you want to know what it is right?
                    A 1981 CI Sprite Alpine
                    It is essentially a twelve foot van with double bed and single bed with bunk/hammock over the top. Our two children are 4 & 8 yrs old so it will just about hold us.
                    Its in good order inside but hadn't turned a wheel for 4 or 5 years so I've started to give it a once over
                    I'm not sure it's had any mechanical attention in the last 25 years; the brake linings are fine but wrere so far out of adjustment that you could push the draw bar fully home without the linings touching the drums! Anyway they have adjusted up nicely and now work well - just need to get some new return springs for the brake rods as they are in poor shape.
                    My main concern is the wheel bearings though as they have been running dry and feel a bit rough. I have managed to repack the outer bearings but can't access the inner bearings because of the hub seal. What I really want is to replace the bearings and hub seals.
                    Now for the catch 22 bit; All the suppliers I have tried don't know what bearings I need until I remove the old ones and find numbers on them. I can't see how I'm going to remove them without damaging them. So if I remove them and can't find replacements then the kids have got a new playroom on the drive and a grumpy Dad!
                    Anyone got any bright ideas or good contacts that may be able to help please
                    If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

• From what I understand you prise the old hub seals out with a screwdriver, which essentially knackers them. You have to drift new hub seals in, or use a bearing press if you are posh, when you have replaced the inner bearings. A large socket or a piece of pipe close to the diameter of the hub seals is usually good enough. You would be better off going to a bearing supplier than a caravan parts supplier. Good luck with it.
                      It's only a hobby!

Comment

• Thanks for replying.
                        My problem is that there is a tubular spacer between the two bearings which sits between the inner race of each bearing. There is no way of pressing out the inner bearing's outer race (to preserve the bearing) other than pressing out the outer bearing and so forcing out the inner bearing via the spacer which will damage both bearings.
                        Does that make sense? - I'm confusing myself now, its bad enough taking about inner and outer bearings let alone their respective inner and outer races
                        If you're gonna have one ...... have a good'un!

Comment

• If you think the bearings are worn/damaged then you will need to replace both inner and outer and preferably both sides. I did this on a 1978 Sprite Ariel 10ft van about 10 years ago. The bearings came from an engineering shop as the dealerships didn't have anything.

If you can get both bearings out then you should be able to get replacements as they will be a fairly standard size. Just take the old bearings along with you to the bearing dealer and they should be able to match from the codes stamped into the bearing cages. Alternatively, take off both hubs, take them with you and many engineering shops should have a press to quickly remove and replace the bearings, saving you a lot of hassle and should also make sure they a seated correctly.

Good luck with the Alpine. Should be a good caravan if it's been looked after. Oh, and by the way. Dump the existing tyres as they will have flat-spotted and deteriorated by not moving for years. First time you load up and take her out you'll probably get a flat and if a caravan tyre splits the flailing carcas can destroy the side of an old caravan in no time flat.
                          Mike G

Comment

• Have a look on here for some tips
                            http://www.ntta.co.uk/law/index.htm
                            (\__/)
                            (")_(")

Comment

• I`ve spent hours reading through posts about towing.
                              Some say they leave the ect button on all of the time whilst towing, but i`ve read others say that this will risk overheating.

Some have said that they leave the overdrive off whilst towing, but will this not put strain on the engine and cause overheating problems as with the overdrive off then i would only be using 3 gears?

I am completely confused as to what the best would be for my 2,4 surf when towing my caravan, as the first time i towed i left the ect on for most of the time as there were a lot of long climbs, and my head was cracked by the time i got home.

So what should i actually be doing when towing as i cannot afford to be having any more problems with my surf.

Ta for any advice.

Comment

• i take it out of o/d when i aproach hills and ect active when i need it to hold onto its revs when stop starting in town
                                as for overheating get your viscous fan sorted out first and formost then look at rad caps etc etc
                                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                                X