Surf Towing & Caravan Things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Towing no probs

Well I took the 3ltr on a 1500 mile jaunt round France a couple of weeks ago, it's a 1400kg Lunar Lexon CS and we had lots of luggage and stuff in the truck and van. It towed perfectly, the Surf never showed any signs of distress and the fuel consumption was fine. The only mod I have done is a rear spring upgrade. The only sign of a rise in engine temperature came when going up some of the long French hills (and they literally go on for miles and miles and miles). I just turned the heater on and it dropped back to normal straight away.

I was hitting over 80mph in some overtaking leaps past artics and it was no bother.

The nice thing is that the Surf never falls victim to the tail wagging the dog, probably due to the weight of the Surf. All in all it was a pleasant hassle free trip and as always the Surf came through with flying colours.

Is there anything that these trucks won't do??

Rob G

Comment

• Time to drain your WATER SYSTEM guys before the FROST sets in.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

• Surf Weight

Hi,
        Just joined this site to-day after buying a 1996 SSR V 3 litre to tow a hymer 555 with a gross weight of 1700 kilo. Cannot find the unladen weight of my Surf anywhere, except on an American site, which I am not sure is the same.
        Hope that someone can help,as we hope to go to Spain in Jan.

gmac

Comment

• Originally posted by gmac11240
          Hi,
          Just joined this site to-day after buying a 1996 SSR V 3 litre to tow a hymer 555 with a gross weight of 1700 kilo. Cannot find the unladen weight of my Surf anywhere, except on an American site, which I am not sure is the same.

gmac
          Howdy,

No probs for that weight, the Surf is just under 2000kgs
          Tim
          Break It,Fix It,Repeat,Break It,Fix It,Repeat

Comment

• Originally posted by gmac11240
            Hi,

gmac
            Welcome to the forum, lots of owners tow vans and some pretty big ones at that. I believe from previous posts that a 3rd Gen gross weight is around 2100 kilos, so kerb weight will be higher still so you will be fine.

Regards

Keith

Comment

• Dropped all the water out of my Caravans heating system yesterday. Good job as it was FROSTY last night.
              (\__/)
              (")_(")

Comment

• Thanks Marky

It was your original post on draining the water that played on my mind. I took the day off last Wednesday and drove to the storage pound. Drained all the systems and set everything up for winter.

As you said, what happened last night....ooooerrr....thick frost!

Cheers Marky!!!

Rob G

Comment

• Originally posted by wibblywobbly
                  It was your original post on draining the water that played on my mind. I took the day off last Wednesday and drove to the storage pound. Drained all the systems and set everything up for winter.

As you said, what happened last night....ooooerrr....thick frost!

Cheers Marky!!!

Rob G
                  I spoke to a friend of mine today who stated the fact that it can be costly mistake to make, As he forgot a couple of years ago.
                  (\__/)
                  (")_(")

Comment

• ok you van guys anyone booked for this year yet and if yes where ya going were off to Cornwall again Perranporth by the looks main hols August off to a CL for a few times up to then but really cannot wait for August.
                    if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly
                      ok you van guys anyone booked for this year yet and if yes where ya going were off to Cornwall again Perranporth by the looks main hols August off to a CL for a few times up to then but really cannot wait for August.
                      Already booked into a CL for 4 nights so I can go to RIAT in July, about 3.5 miles form the site by cycle, beats the jam and much better (& cheaper) than jamming into the campsite on site..
                      Parts of your engine go up, stop then go back! Mm!

Comment

• I'm hopefuly going to HAYLE (cornwall) again as i didnt make it last year due to moving house. Checked the CARAVAN out at the Farm last weekend & she's lookin good.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• got Newperran booked near Perranporth in August yipppppeeeeeeee, also got blackpool booked for our lights trip in oct taking in the halloween party too, so this year is taking shape got a few other irons in the fire tooooooooo
                          if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Matthew Coventry

do you know of any campsites down by Blackrock that will be open this weekend???
                            if so give us a ring or reply on here
                            john
                            Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

• We are thinking of heading for Cornwall this year. We are suffering withdrawal symptoms because we didn't go last year.

Note to self: Check coolant level before setting off this time.
                              It's only a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                                We are thinking of heading for Cornwall this year. We are suffering withdrawal symptoms because we didn't go last year.

Note to self: Check coolant level before setting off this time.
                                it seems like devon/cornwall is the area to be seen this year, we are hoping to go that way this year, maybe we should have a forum holiday?
                                Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Working...
                                X