Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jotto & marky

cheers folks - thats that sorted then - good news

i guess each truck is different - but if you were to read all posts on forum about various stuff you would end up with all sorts of mods, coolers on intercoolers and end up spending the equivalent of a brand new cayenne.

prevention is one thing, but throwing cash at a '92 toyota can get silly.

cheers again folks
    NO MORE TRUCK

Comment

• Originally posted by thumper
      cheers folks - thats that sorted then - good news

i guess each truck is different - but if you were to read all posts on forum about various stuff you would end up with all sorts of mods, coolers on intercoolers and end up spending the equivalent of a brand new cayenne.

prevention is one thing, but throwing cash at a '92 toyota can get silly.

cheers again folks
      I agree with the above I tow a 850Kg Caravan (which with all the "essentials" Mrs KS insists on probably weighs well over 1000Kgs) with no mods and no probs..............so far! Done over 500 miles of caravan towing this year.

I reckon that, as long as you have flushed/ replaced your coolant/made sure your viscous fan/electric fan is healthy and that you have changed your transmission fluid, all should be well.

BTW. Mines a 2.4
      It's only a hobby!

Comment

• I used to tow with an automatic Granada. If the gearbox had not gone I might still have it. If you tow a heavy caravan you are putting the gearbox and the rest of the car under stress and I think that spending a little could save an awful lot. My transmission tunnel used to get hot and is now much cooler having fitted an additional rad for the transmission.

My 91 2.4 ssr-x auto may be getting on but looked after should give me many more years as a caravan tug as its general condition is excellent. At a cost of about three tanks of diesel the cooler was money well spent.

I was away with the caravan while it was very wet last month. The ability to move caravans off wet fields by putting it in low box and just letting the engine idle to get moving was awesome aned certainly impressed the front wheel drive fraternity.

Keith

Comment

• :Quote: The ability to move caravans off wet fields by putting it in low box and just letting the engine idle to get moving was awesome aned certainly impressed the front wheel drive fraternity.

Keith :Quote:

I know what you mean Keith. We were away just after Easter last year. The site we were on was slightly below river level. A big Kontiki motorhome had sunk into the soft surface. There was a large gathering of admirers after I pulled it out onto the gravel road without spinning a wheel.
          It's only a hobby!

Comment

• I did the same last easter in Yorkshire. His car & caravan was way overloaded & his jockey wheel sank into a grass bank while he was trying to position his caravan, The SURF just purred as i pushed his caravan into place.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
            (")_(")

Comment

• so going to go away for Christmas in van anyone got any tips on winter use of their van??????
              if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Drain water & stay at home LOL
                propane as butane freezes in winter, Keep your heater on so as not to let pipes freeze.
                (\__/)
                (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by firefly
                  so going to go away for Christmas in van anyone got any tips on winter use of their van??????
                  Yeah, Drive it to Southern Spain!!!

Seriously. I quite fancy a bit of Winter caravanning but my other half is a typical woman and already thinks it too cold to go away. We have a three way heater and I could always install under-floor heating (under carpet/bed heating really) like I did in the Conway. Nice low wattage too mmmmmmmmmm cosy!
                  It's only a hobby!

Comment

• I agree with Marky, definately change to propane. Check all the waste pipe runs are straight as any sags an the standing water can freeze making it difficult to get rid of the used water. Fit an inboard water tank too. Keep the water heater on all the time and let the thermostat switch it on and off. Have an automatic gas change over switch as the gas always runs out first thing on a frosty morning and its no joke out in the pyjamas changing the bottles.

I have been away for the last 15 years at new year with the van and been as snug as a bug in a rug thoughly enjoyable
                    Visit all the Surfin Elkhounds at [url="http://www.malenibo.co.uk/"]www.malenibo.co.uk[/url]

Comment

• Cheers for the tips,
                      looking forward to our little adventure gunna be away right the way over Christmas got a plan to get grand parents to drop a few prezzies off for kids so they carnt moan too much just got to find a small turkey for the oven lmao
                      if a politition is talking its lying

Comment

• Lots of people tour all year round, so it can be done BRRRRRRRRRRR.
                        We went to North Yorkshire last Friday Night it was COLD left the heating on all night all TOASTY. Saturday night did'nt bother FROST on the big Sunroof in the morning it was COLD.
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

• Winter Warning

Its time to drain your CARVER Water Heater if you have not yet done so !
                          Carver water heater & water systems can hold up to 2 Gallons of water
                          FROST is due shortly so ensure it has been done.
                          (\__/)
                          (")_(")

Comment

• Originally posted by marky
                            Its time to drain your CARVER Water Heater if you have not yet done so !
                            Carver water heater & water systems can hold up to 2 Gallons of water
                            FROST is due shortly so ensure it has been done.
                            Already done it
                            Also dont forget to empty you chemical loo and the pink rinse out of the cistern. A small funnel stuck into a length of hose pipe is very handy for emptying the pink stuff.
                            I have also put a couple of those de-humidifiers in that use the granules and a plastic box with a big bag of silica gel in it. We use them for soaking up the condensation in cable joint boxes.
                            It's only a hobby!

Comment

• Originally posted by kitesurf_phil
                              Already done it
                              Also dont forget to empty you chemical loo and the pink rinse out of the cistern. A small funnel stuck into a length of hose pipe is very handy for emptying the pink stuff.
                              I have also put a couple of those de-humidifiers in that use the granules and a plastic box with a big bag of silica gel in it. We use them for soaking up the condensation in cable joint boxes.
                              Good idea PHIL i'll give it a go
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

• And if you can do it, take the wheels off and put winter wheels on. Helps save the tyres from flat spotting and from getting too much UV damage (keep them in the garage covered up). Also makes it more difficult for light fingered ba....ds to nick your pride & joy.
                                Mike G

Comment

Working...
                                X