New Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looks good!

What is the best paint to sue for a chassis?

I used to think Hammertie, but I was told its not ideal as it chips..

Anyone run it long term and found it to be solid?
    More Lift.
    More Tyres.
    More Engine.

Comment

• We used hammerite, it will get touched up if it gets chipped but the chassis was very good, just needed a wee clean to be honest. All painted finishes degrade with time anyway.
      Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

• Try POR15... I have ended up using it on everything now. It's insanely good. Stains your fingers though! check out :

http://www.frost.co.uk/brands/por15....qUL9n3NLXw_wcB

Makes hammerite look like kiddie paint.

You can then use under body seal once everything is painted for super levels of rust resistance.
        ======
        Just gotta finish doing the next mod...

Comment

• I've been away on a wee camping holiday, popped up to the garage today and yoshie has been busy, forgot to take my phone so no pics, I'll get some tomorrow.
          Alan

Comment

• That's me got my work instructions for tomorrow (phone call with yoshie) Change front discs and pads, paint inner arch area at front, wishbones etc. Fit air intakes and hoses, fit front shocks when the paint dries, make and fit rear tailgate closer panel and get electrics through for number plate light.

Pity the custom exhaust parts haven't arrived, I could have did that too.

Alan

Comment

• Looking forward to pics

Comment

• Something always bites you in the arse eh?
                New shiny bits to fit.

Calipers are looking a bit cruddy...

Disc on this side is shot and pads are on the metal...not good.
                Alan

Comment

• Turns out caliper is fubar. So, yoshie get the wallet oot mate!

I tried to rescue them, the old airline trick only shifted one piston, so it's back to the shop for new ones.
                  Alan

Comment

• An airline won't shift the pistons, you need to re-fit the flexy fluid hose and press the brake pedal, works every time.

Comment

• They are pretty well done Vince, scores and pitting on the piston and bores. Been sitting for 4 years with the pads on the metal, splits in the dust boots so the moisture has had it's way with them.

New ones on order.

I did get one out with the airline and some grunting.
                      Alan

Comment

• Brian, calipers are here

2 types available so need to measure the piston that popped out.
                        Alan

Comment

• Milner have new calipers (not refurb) for £93, no need to send old unit back.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-...liper-front-lh

£91 on roughtrax
                          Alan

Comment

• Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                            Milner have new calipers (not refurb) for £93, no need to send old unit back.

http://www.milneroffroad.com/toyota-...liper-front-lh

£91 on roughtrax
                            The roughtrax ones are wrong only fit the early 2nd gen. The one I need is 126 same caliper as 3.0
                            Brian

Comment

• so, caliper dilemma solved, a couple of chaps up in East Calder had a pair of working calipers for the cheap price of £70, and hour later we chucked them on the truck, fitted discs, re-greased the hub bearings, fitted front shocks.

Last edited by KERRSURF; 12 July 2014, 19:46.
                              Alan

Comment

• Put the front wheels back on to start work on rear suspension.
                                Starting to get an idea of what she will look like.
                                Last edited by KERRSURF; 12 July 2014, 19:46.
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X