The plan so far...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The plan so far...

i have ordered the first few parts for the lift i intend to do on my 2nd gen, so far i have 2" body lift kit, 2" spring spacers, diff drop brackets and 2" ball joint spacers.

When i get some more money i will be ordering roughtrax +2" springs and shocks, i will also be fitting manual locking hubs, and winding the torsion bars up to bring the front end level with the rear.

From what i have read over the last month or so i believe i will need some
    front arb spacers so i can fit diff drop is this correct?

Will +2" shocks be long enough for what i have planned?

Is there anything else that needs to be modified for this amount of lift? (im guessing i will have to extend the rear brake line)

Also after the lift will i be able to run 35s?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Lift

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
    i have ordered the first few parts for the lift i intend to do on my 2nd gen, so far i have 2" body lift kit, 2" spring spacers, diff drop brackets and 2" ball joint spacers.

When i get some more money i will be ordering roughtrax +2" springs and shocks, i will also be fitting manual locking hubs, and winding the torsion bars up to bring the front end level with the rear.

From what i have read over the last month or so i believe i will need some
    front arb spacers so i can fit diff drop is this correct?
    Yes, you will need spacers for the ARB chassis mounts,
    roughly the same size as the diff drop spacers, you may also need to
    manipulate the exhaust to clear the front prop, at least thats the case on a

Will +2" shocks be long enough for what i have planned?
    +2" will be fine for normal road use, however, if you plan to
    go offroad you will need +4" as the +2" will be close to the end of there
    travel with a 4" lift

Is there anything else that needs to be modified for this amount of lift? (im guessing i will have to extend the rear brake line)
    Extend the rear brake line or fit a spacer between the axle
    and T peice that the flexi hose runs to. You will also need to fit a panhard
    drop bracket or longer/adjustable panhard rod.

Also after the lift will i be able to run 35s?
    33s will be the biggest tyre you can run without major
    modifications, even with 4" suspension lift and 2" body lift you will still get
    some rubbing with 33s, especially offroad.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    Its worth thinking about uprated torsion bars too, the standard bars will be
    wound right up to match the rear lift and under a lot of stress.
    Still on a mission.

Comment

Thanks baz, glad there isnt to much i hadnt thought of.
      Is there any where in the uk i could get the +4" shocks and panhard rod drop bracket?

Comment

Originally posted by sjoe View Post
        Thanks baz, glad there isnt to much i hadnt thought of.
        Is there any where in the uk i could get the +4" shocks and panhard rod drop bracket?
        I dont know anywhere in the UK that sells +4" shocks for the surf. I got mine
        from Summit racing in the US. You will only need +4" for the rear, +2" will be
        fine for the front as the IFS is pretty limited in its travel.

I forgot to mention in my first post, when you have fitted the ball joint
        spacers and diff drop spacers, you should jack up the front end and support with axle stands,
        so the IFS hangs at full droop. Now spin the front wheels to check for any
        binding of the cv joints. If the cvs are binding, you will need to fit spacers
        (just some washers) under the upper control arm bump stops to limit the
        down travel or first time off road you could wreck the cvs.

I'm afraid I dont know anywhere for a panhard drop bracket either.
        Its pretty easy to make yours adjustable though.
        Just type panhard into the search box at the top of the page and you
        will find a couple of ways to go about it.
        Last edited by Bazcam; 2 February 2012, 07:25.
        Still on a mission.

Comment

pro comp UK supplier, +4" dampers.

http://www.bearmach.com/archive_news.html
          Brian

Comment

appreciate the help, i will be sure to check the cvs are running smoothly after the lift.

Thanks for the link yoshie will i need a part number for the shocks or will they know which ones i need?

Comment

Bearmach are the biggest waste of space around, they wanted to charge me all the extra shipping from the US as they are not 'stock' items, but still wait so it could come in their next stock order...

Just get them direct from the US. It's easier and probably cheaper.

Bearmach are only interested in LR parts.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

thanks tony i have found somebody with a lathe and am considering the option you mentioned on the phone about getting some extensions machined to fit the +2" shocks.
                Are the rancho shocks worth the extra money over the monroe shocks?

Comment

I think they are.

Remember the shock extensions won't give you any increased shock travel, and be careful how much stick you give it offroad, as the shock will bottom out before the axle hits the bumpstop, and you could bend the shock rod or break the extension bit.

(there really are no short cuts long term, get your wallet out and get the right length shocks... )
                  4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
                    (there really are no short cuts long term, get your wallet out and get the right length shocks... )
                    fair coment i may as well just be patient and do it right the first time.
                    thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X