Offset and rubbing 3rd Gen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offset and rubbing 3rd Gen

Am about to order wheels and tires for the 3rd Gen.

It will be 305/70/16s either MT Baja MTs or Cooper STTs

The wheels will be steel mods in black 10" x 16"

What I need to make sure though is which offset to go with.

They come in -32 or 0

I'm pretty sure the standard wheels are 0 offset on 8" yes?

So if I get the -32 that would give 7mm MORE room on the inside of the wheel to the strut housing and extend an extra 57mm out of the arches.

WIth the 0 offset I'll get 25mm LESS room on the inside of the wheel and extend an extra 25mm more out of the arches.

I'm presuming the 0 offset will be better for me, but what will likely rub more? The inside or the arches?

This will be on a 2" sus + 2" body lift
    Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

I was looking at a set of 3rd gen alloys last week but decided against as they were 16x7" (If my memory is behaving...)

Don't know what offset they are but if you are correct then the backspace on them is 3.5"

So your new wheels can either have a backspace of 5" with the 0 offset or approx 3.75" with the -32 offset.

Hth abit.

Comment

I don't know much about metric tyre sizes or 3rd gen cleanaces, but common sence says get the zero offset ones, if they rub on the wishbones or chassis then you can fit wheel spacers.

If you get the big offset ones then you're stuck with them if it rubs.

Can only say its guessing though.

Stock is something like -8, so zero and bigger and wider tyres is going to be close.
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN View Post
        I don't know much about metric tyre sizes or 3rd gen cleanaces, but common sence says get the zero offset ones, if they rub on the wishbones or chassis then you can fit wheel spacers.

If you get the big offset ones then you're stuck with them if it rubs.

Can only say its guessing though.

Stock is something like -8, so zero and bigger and wider tyres is going to be close.
        But if the standard is -8 offset, then with the move from 8 to 10" width wheels, the -32 offset will equal 1mm less from tyre to truck and 49mm away from the truck under the arch.

With the 0 offset it will equal 32mm less room from tyre to truck and 17mm away from the truck under the arch.

According to : http://www.1010tires.com/WheelOffsetCalculator.asp

But you're saying it's easier to sort out tyres too close to the truck rather than sticking out too wide yes? Hmmm

The spacers (from roughtraxx) are 30mm anyway. So would cost £110 for the spacers to go back to -30 offset if I get the 0s. Grrr - all very confuzzing
        Take your words, put them on a plate, add a little bit of humble pie, and eat them!

Comment

Wow - you managed to completely ignore that standard 3rd gen wheels are 7" wide...

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
            Wow - you managed to completely ignore that standard 3rd gen wheels are 7" wide...
            Sorry - Just re-read that. I hadn't noticed - thanks for pointing out my stoopidiittty!

Comment

Originally posted by Shaft120 View Post

But you're saying it's easier to sort out tyres too close to the truck rather than sticking out too wide yes? Hmmm

The spacers (from roughtraxx) are 30mm anyway. So would cost £110 for the spacers to go back to -30 offset if I get the 0s. Grrr - all very confuzzing
              Yeah, thats about right.

Like I said, you need to talk to people who have fitted bigger tyres to 3rd Gens, all my experiance is with 2nd Gen's and every one of them is different.

While 10" rims are recommended for 33's, you have much less rubbing issues and less lift needed using 8" wheels.

If you've done all the maths, you can get an idea how close either rim is going to be to either the chassis/wishbone, or the wheel arch. compared to what you have now.

LeighMH has recently upped his 3rd Gen, I fitted a body lift and suspension lift to it. Have a squint through his posts and see what tyres and wheels he ended up with.

Charvill also has a 3rd gen with a 1 1/2" body lift and suspension lift that I fitted a few years ago.
              4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

These are the differences in dimensions in pics (helps me !)

Cheers Wishbone / Tony - Didn't realise this was going to be so complicated!

I'll have a look through some older posts.
                Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if this helps.....

I fitted 285/75R16 BFG A/T's on standard rims on my 3rd Gen, along with a 2.5" suspension lift.
                  I've not off-roaded heavily since then but under normal road conditions I experience no rubbing at all.
                  On moderate articulation it can have contact between the sidewalls and the wishbones. A set of 1/4" spacers gives me back the necessary clearance.

Oh, and I had to remove the lower valance as it was catching the threads on anything other than smooth road surfaces.
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Just read this... I've got 285/75/16s on 16x8. They're zero offset but I'm running the roughtrax spacers (I didn't try them without as my girlfriend was quite angry about the tyres in the bedroom so I didn't have the liberty of time!) - but it would be a pretty close one.

Like I said in your other thread, I had a fair amount of rubbing. It was easy to sort but I had to hammer the pinch weld and it's still close. So it might be prudent to do what you can to minimise the width and offset.

Comment

I have 285/75/R16, 8" rims no lift.........
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                        I have 285/75/R16, 8" rims no lift.........
                        Wat offset are your wheels though?

Also, you have aftermarket bumper - which will have less to rub on!

Comment

Originally posted by leighh View Post
                          Just read this... I've got 285/75/16s on 16x8. They're zero offset but I'm running the roughtrax spacers (I didn't try them without as my girlfriend was quite angry about the tyres in the bedroom so I didn't have the liberty of time!) - but it would be a pretty close one.

Like I said in your other thread, I had a fair amount of rubbing. It was easy to sort but I had to hammer the pinch weld and it's still close. So it might be prudent to do what you can to minimise the width and offset.
                          Interesting - that should give you 9mm more inner clearance and
                          35mm more extension on the outside than standard, on a tyre that is about the same height as the 305/70...

If I fit the -32 offset the tyres will stick out a further 27mm and have 23mm less room than you on the inside.

Update: Susp Lift kit ordered - Is back in stock at roughtraxx for anyone that was waiting!

Comment

my bumper had to be cut and had to loose arch trim on them

thats with 2 inch suspension lifts and 1 1/2 inch body lift and 30mil spacers

will confirm tyre and offset of wheel later

Comment

Originally posted by SRI_GAZ View Post
                              my bumper had to be cut and had to loose arch trim on them

thats with 2 inch suspension lifts and 1 1/2 inch body lift and 30mil spacers

will confirm tyre and offset of wheel later

Thanks - please do - also what width wheel!

Comment

Working...
                              X