Halfway with a 3" body lift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Halfway with a 3" body lift

One side done, the other will get done tomorrow. Though I have jacked up the other side to the right height to check for snags.

So far:
    The handbrake cable looks OK once the brackets were unbolted from the body
    The fuel outlet and return pipes from the tank are OK
    The transmission selector lever is fine
    The transfer box lever will need extending or bending a bit
    The fuel filler and glug pipes will definately need extending
    The fuel filter to pump pipe needs replacing with a longer length
    The brake pipes had enough length in the curly-wurly piggy tails bits (technical term there) to stretch out and still leave some curled
    The rad is still out, but will need mounting lower
    Still haven't come up with a design for the bumper brackets
    and I've got lots of room above the engine now.....and a top mounted intercooler is looking likely!

Regards
    TFB

i have a pajero intercooler with mitsi pipes up for grabs.

looks good, keep an eye on your rear brake flexi on full tilt mine was tight, thats with a "2 lift. also keep a check on your steering rod were it passes thru the bulk head plus you will have to extend it, there are 3 joints in the rod.
    Surf.gone but not forgottendisco now gone aswell

Comment

Funny enough the steering column only looks like it needs extending by an inch or so.

I slackened the coupling on where it meets the steering box and after lifting that has only moved about 3/4". I was thinking of just using some packing pieces on the doughnut, but I will have a closer examination tomorrow.

In the piccie below, you can just make out the ring ( splash of purple paint on it) where the clamp bolt would normaly pass through.

Regards
      TFB

Comment

under the dash theres a sliding joint aswell. guess you have seen this tho

Comment

Originally posted by mud skipper View Post
          under the dash theres a sliding joint aswell. guess you have seen this tho
          not yet, but I was planning on checking the whole of the column tomorrow, but thanks for the pointer - much appreciated

Regards

TFB

Comment

Well, not as much progress today as I had hoped. I had to devote this morning to laying some laminate flooring in the downstairs cloakroom that I've promising to do since before Xmas! and it was a right sod with lots of fiddly cut outs and corners.

Pucks in on both sides - at least it's now level.

Brakes are bled and I've fitted the new gasket on the turbo oil outlet pipe - another sod of a job.

I fully disconnected the steering column from the box and found that it's "natural" position was about an inch high and 3/4" short of the box. I took out the panel where the column passes through the bulkhead and nibbled a bit away to get a better angle (I'll use the expanding foam method to reseal it)

This got the height right, but still too short, by slackening off the joint under the dash I could get the column to reach but I wasn't happy with the amount of column that was inside the joint under the dash.
            I'll pop along to my local engineering company tomorrow and see if they can knock up a sleeve so I can cut and extend the column. I tried packing peices on the doughnut, but that was a no-go.

I think I'll replace the fuel filler and glug pipe with some silicone hose, plenty of different sizes available on ebay

not a true picture of the lift at the rear as the front is still on jacks and it hasn't been taken out for a run to settle things down yet, but it's enough to get me excited!

Anyway, too hot and bothered to do any more today...fingers crossed I'll be able to take it for a drive tomorrow

Regards

TFB

Comment

sweeeeet.

nice right up, the pics will help others when they do theirs.

Comment

Working...
              X