LC Springs Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    My old truck is currently 40mm lower on the O/S then the N/S. That kind of suggests something else isn't quite right, possibly the torsion bars aren't evenly adjusted.

How much longer is the standard O/S spring, compared to the standard N/S spring? And how much thicker should an O/S spacer be to compensate for the equal length LC springs?

The spacer should be 40mm surely ?

I'd try and swap the rear coils left and right to see if it makes any difference. It may be that they are from different batches / tolerance etc and the way they are fitted now exaggerates the differences.

My milner springs show 12mm difference at the rear if that's any help.

Also make sure you measure the rim to arch when the truck is on a dead flat surface (poured concrete is a good bet) I drive mine into my workplace as the floor is perfect there.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
      You really should have locators anyway - LC springs dont fit properly without them.

A locator as built by 'stein is abour 1/4" thick, so after you pull off the original locator its about the same. A half inch thicker one on one side isn't going to affect the rear geometry excessively in the great scheme of things.

I was thinking that putting a +3.75" spring/spacer combo into the stock setup might be a bit much ? Why do all the 4" lift kits come with drop brackets / extended bumpstops etc ? (Apart from the obvious pushing the wheel back from under the door)

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
        I was thinking that putting a +3.75" spring/spacer combo into the stock setup might be a bit much ? Why do all the 4" lift kits come with drop brackets / extended bumpstops etc ? (Apart from the obvious pushing the wheel back from under the door)
        Because thats the proper way to do it without changing the original geometry in the slightest. I know where you're coming from, but 3/4" on top of the LC mod makes little difference to the wheelbase so despite changing the geometry slightly, it's not an issue in normal use.

Having said that, MARK, MAKE SOME TRAILING ARM DROP BRACKETS!!!

I reckon if 'stein did a whole kit for 'properly' fitting LC springs to the back of a Surf, including locators, drop brackets etc, he could certainly sell a few. People pay well over the odds for the Superlift stuff after all.
        Last edited by Apache; 14 November 2009, 10:37.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post
          Because thats the proper way to do it without changing the original geometry in the slightest. I know where you're coming from, but 3/4" on top of the LC mod makes little difference to the wheelbase so despite changing the geometry slightly, it's not an issue in normal use.

Having said that, MARK, MAKE SOME TRAILING ARM DROP BRACKETS!!!

I reckon if 'stein did a whole kit for 'properly' fitting LC springs to the back of a Surf, including locators, drop brackets etc, he could certainly sell a few. People pay well over the odds for the Superlift stuff after all.
          AH BUT WOULD PEOPLE PAY THE THOUSANDS IM GONNA CHARGE FOR IT.
          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            My old truck is currently 40mm lower on the O/S then the N/S. That kind of suggests something else isn't quite right, possibly the torsion bars aren't evenly adjusted.

How much longer is the standard O/S spring, compared to the standard N/S spring? And how much thicker should an O/S spacer be to compensate for the equal length LC springs?
            40mm is a lot. Sounds like somefink ain't quite right!

The heavy duty springs I fitted are 'handed' but nothing like as much as 40mm. Although I suppose you would see more than the actual difference.

From memory, the springs are only about 15 mm difference in length.
            Another member of the 'A' team

Comment

Probably not
              why is fitting LC springs causeing this then? mine seem ok, no noticeable droop on one side, you did alter the panard rod i take it? as that would pull things out of line,, the springs are of equal lenght so i cant see why your is doing that! LC springs sit on the lower cup fine as long as ya locate the end in it's seat ok, it's the top that gives trouble unless you've fitted the alloy seats, apart from a much stiffer ride i've had no probs at all,

i see Bogus is on form!!!
              Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Comment

If it was thousands then no... The superlift kit does front and rear for around £1100 - £1200 delivered. If it was just some drop brackets for the rear arms and a pair of locators for the LC coils then I'd want to pay around £300.

Thats the trouble over here - theres not a big enough market to be able to mass produce / volume sell and get the price down.

Rob.

Comment

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  Probably not
                  why is fitting LC springs causeing this then? mine seem ok, no noticeable droop on one side, you did alter the panard rod i take it? as that would pull things out of line,, the springs are of equal lenght so i cant see why your is doing that! LC springs sit on the lower cup fine as long as ya locate the end in it's seat ok, it's the top that gives trouble unless you've fitted the alloy seats, apart from a much stiffer ride i've had no probs at all,
                  I didn't alter the panhard rod, most folk don't. When I fit the rears on my new truck, I will fit alloy seats and an adjustable Panhard Rod though (rod is being made as i type and I'll have them make the spacers once I get the dimensions).

Was out having a good look at the truck earlier, I can't see any reason to have a longer O/S spring other than to compensate for a tank of fuel and the driver? Methinks the Torsion bar has maybe lost some torsion.

Originally posted by POPEYE View Post
                  i see Bogus is on form!!!
                  He's certainly on something.
                  Last edited by Albannach; 14 November 2009, 13:32.
                  Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                    I've attatched a drawing of a 'standard' 38mm spacer. If you made it 12mm it would lose all the meat in the area marked X. Easier to understand than the dribble above
                    Thanks for the drawing and the offer Rob. I think I'd feel safer with them made of alloy rather than nylon. Once I figure out what size I need them, I'll get the guy who's doing my Panhard rod to knock a pair of them up.

Comment

No probs Andy - We've got nylon spare at work but don't really use ally of any decent size.

Comment

you didnt use the LC shocks did you?

hahahahahaha

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                          you didnt use the LC shocks did you?
                          No. Why?

Comment

lol nevermind mate.

Comment

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
                              lol nevermind mate.
                              Nevermind what?

And on a technical point, I did fit LC Shock Absorbers, it's the LC Damper units I didn't fit.

Comment

Working...
                              X