LC Springs Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LC Springs Problem

After I (actually Brian Alan and I) fitted LC springs to my old Surf, and once it settled down, the back of the truck sat squint (lower on the offside). Is there anything on the market to compensate for this? Or anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
    After I (actually Brian Alan and I) fitted LC springs to my old Surf, and once it settled down, the back of the truck sat squint (lower on the offside). Is there anything on the market to compensate for this? Or anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?
    Weight watchers?

You could measure the difference and get a spacer made up for the spring to sit on. Know anyone with a lathe?

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      Move the fuel tank to the other side

Comment

I suggested to Mark a while back that he does a spring seat pack especially for LC springs where one is about 1/2" thicker than the other for this very reason.

You can even it out on the torsion bars as they do lift the back slightly too, but its not the answer because you end up with a different rate 'spring' on that side.

My lathe isn't big enough for that diameter.
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          Weight watchers?
          Originally posted by Growler View Post
          Move the fuel tank to the other side
          Drivers seat and the fuel tank are both empty, it's still leaning over.

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
          You could measure the difference and get a spacer made up for the spring to sit on. Know anyone with a lathe?
          I know a very good and reasonably cheap machine shop. Maybe pay them a visit?

Would it be as simple as a spacer?

Comment

tsk, tsk, dangerous diy mods, then compound it with a diy bodge, just dont get involved in an accident, or its jail for you my boy.

Bogus
            Сви можемо

Comment

Originally posted by Bogus View Post
              tsk, tsk, dangerous diy mods, then compound it with a diy bodge, just dont get involved in an accident, or its jail for you my boy.

Bogus
              WTF are you on about Dangerous DIY and DIY bodge? I'll certainly not bodge anything and mentioning DIY suggests that you are under the misapprehension that I'm an amateur.

Comment

Fitting spacers on top of 3" lift coils is pushing it a bit without adding all the drop brackets etc, isn't it ? You'll end up with the back wheels under the rear passenger doors

Cut 1 spring down instead !

Rob.

Comment

I'd only fit a spacer to the off side to even them up, maybe a very thin locator on the other side.

Comment

Hi Andy,

I remember when I made my spacers that for a small spacer (I wanted a 3/4" lift but went with 1 1/4 to keep some strength in them) theres not too much space available on the chassis side due to the locating 'bump'. Are LC coils a larger diameter than the surf ones ? This would mean I could probably make you up a pair from nylon. If they need to be alloy for strength reasons I can't help.

Rob.

I've attatched a drawing of a 'standard' 38mm spacer. If you made it 12mm it would lose all the meat in the area marked X. Easier to understand than the dribble above
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by wishbone View Post
                      Fitting spacers on top of 3" lift coils is pushing it a bit without adding all the drop brackets etc, isn't it ? You'll end up with the back wheels under the rear passenger doors

Cut 1 spring down instead !

Rob.
                      You really should have locators anyway - LC springs dont fit properly without them.

A locator as built by 'stein is abour 1/4" thick, so after you pull off the original locator its about the same. A half inch thicker one on one side isn't going to affect the rear geometry excessively in the great scheme of things.

Comment

My old truck is currently 40mm lower on the O/S then the N/S. That kind of suggests something else isn't quite right, possibly the torsion bars aren't evenly adjusted.

How much longer is the standard O/S spring, compared to the standard N/S spring? And how much thicker should an O/S spacer be to compensate for the equal length LC springs?

Comment

The question is how much longer when under compression as the LC ones are much stiffer than original Surf ones.

I doubt they wear evenly, and sooner or later will sag just like any other spring. My torsion bars have the same amount of turns on each side and I have about 1/2" - 1" of difference depending where I park. Having said that, no guarantee that the torsion bars haven't gone soft at different rates either.

I used to get hung up about it. These days I aint bothered. I put it down to me being a fat b@stard

Did you get my email BTW Andy?

Comment

Originally posted by Apache View Post

Did you get my email BTW Andy?
                            Not yet, will go look!

Comment

Replied. There's a bit of drizzle up here by the way...

Comment

Working...
                              X