Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good tread!
    old, but good!
    the wolf is always bigger when you are scared!!

Comment

I hope nobody minds me bumping this thread but I just bought the xpajun 2" lift kit which I will be fitting next weekend. I'm not a mechanic but I'm reasonably mechanically minded and I have a couple of questions as follows:

Someone mentioned loosening off the fuel filler pipe. Is this necessary and if so how do you do it?

The brackets I need to make for the radiator drop look straight forward but the ones for the front bumper are bothering me. The pictures from the guide on the front page show a bracket which only attaches to one of the two holes and looks a bit mickey mouse(no offence meant to the poster of the guide). The front bumper doesn't look as if its sitting straight and I was wondering if anyone has actually made a proper bracket that fits to both holes and if so do you have a picture or diagram of it.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Comment

Don't worry about them mickey mouse comment, Micky has more mechanical knowledge than the nugget OP

Once the bumper is off you will see what's required very straightforward. Filler is accessed up under rear arch. 3.0 surf doesn't need rad dropped.
        Last edited by yoshie; 5 January 2013, 20:42.
        Brian

Comment

At what height does the brake pipes etc need extending? ie does anything need done with a 2" suspension lift and 2" body lift (other than radiator dropping on the 2.4)?

Comment

Originally posted by yoshie View Post
            Don't worry about them mickey mouse comment, Micky has more mechanical knowledge than the nugget OP

Once the bumper is off you will see what's required very straightforward. Filler is accessed up under rear arch. 3.0 surf doesn't need rad dropped.
            Thanks Brian. You've saved me a job with the rad as I didn't realise it didn't need dropping on the 3.0, that's not clear on the original instructions.

Your advice about seeing what is required after removing the bumper won't help me much as my surf is my everyday transport I need to have everything ready to do it all in one day and I won't have access to the workshop on the day I'm doing it so I need to make the brackets in advance. I'll make some basic brackets and then 'adjust' things with a grinder if needed.

Thanks again for the advice.

As an aside, where do I pay subs to this site? It's been a great help to me and I want to contribute back.

Comment

You can just refit the bumper if you run out of time, you'll just have a 2" gap between the bumper and the grille.

Re, the rad brackets, if your truck still has the lower 1/2 of the fan shroud you'll have to take it off or the fan will rub on it, lots have it missing already, so don't notice it.

Personally I'd rather drop the rad and keep the complete shroud for cooling reasons, but if you drop it it can hit the bash plate, depending on the type you have, and if you don't have a bash plate its obviously more exposed
              Its also easier to clean mud out of the lower half of the rad without the lower shroud. So its up to you, but those are the options.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Thanks Tony.

Plans have changed a little and I'm now doing the lift next weekend. If anyone's interested ill let you all know how it goes.

Comment

Update on my lift.

It really went quite well. We started at 12:00 on Saturday and finished at 17:00. Still had stuff to do though. On Sunday I refitted the radiator with the drop brackets I had fabricated for me. Refitted the bumper and bull bar (Another 2 hours) (Anyone that needs details on these rad drop brackets please ask and I'll show you exactly what you need, I've even got a sketch of exactly what's required). You don't need to remove the bottom cowl if you undo the rad before you start to lift.

What you don't get in the lift kit are big washers. You need these because the holes are quite big. Luckily, I had some but if you don't have any you need to bash the old ones off of the old bolts.. They're on quite tight.

If anyone wants advice while its all still fresh in my mind, just ask.

Massive thank you to everyone that's contributed to this thread because it helped me loads.

Looks so much better already.

Next job is the suspension lift which Tony N is doing for me. (He doesn't know yet because I haven't asked him...... )

Comment

If anyone is interested, these are the brackets you need to lift the bumper and drop the rad.

The haven't been painted, they were made from galvanised steel. I'd recommend you spray them for added protection.

"http://

The top four are the rad drop brackets, showing front and rear (welds flushed off) and the bottom two are the bumper lift brackets.

This may have been shown before but I'm showing them just in case it hasn't.

Happy lifting.

Comment

Ok, I'm offering up this idea if you lot think its worth it.

I've done a 2" body lift so I know what brackets are needed to be fabbed. Bumper up, rad down.

I've now had the back lifted 2" and I've been told you need various brackets like the brake one, up, and the drop hard pan bracket' down.

Can anyone think of any others that need need fabbing? I'm thinking of doing the whole kit for a reasonable price.

I'm not looking to make any money, just offering a service.

Ask Sy.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonk View Post
                        and the drop hard pan bracket' down.
                        What's one of those?

If the Anti Roll Bars are being kept, drop brackets are needed for the rears.

Front diff lowering blocks and front ARB lowering blocks are an idea if one wants to keep the drive shaft angles sensible.
                        Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

If anyone is interested, these are the brackets you need to lift the bumper and drop the rad.

The haven't been painted, they were made from galvanised steel. I'd recommend you spray them for added protection.

"http://

The top four are the rad drop brackets, showing front and rear (welds flushed off) and the bottom two are the bumper lift brackets.

This may have been shown before but I'm showing them just in case it hasn't.

Happy lifting.

I make the bumper lift brackets like this......

I make the same style of bracket to drop the rear ARB end links down when fitting longer springs to prevent the bush brackets breaking when 'flexin'.

p.s. Yes I know I've spaced the holes 65mm apart for a 50mm lift, this is so the bumper sits directly below/touching the grille for a neater look.
                          Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 17 July 2013, 22:42.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
                            What's one of those?

If the Anti Roll Bars are being kept, drop brackets are needed for the rears.

Front diff lowering blocks and front ARB lowering blocks are an idea if one wants to keep the drive shaft angles sensible.
                            b####y dyslexia kicking in.

Panhard rod drop bracket is what I meant.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
                              I make the bumper lift brackets like this......

I make the same style of bracket to drop the rear ARB end links down when fitting longer springs to prevent the bush brackets breaking when 'flexin'.

p.s. Yes I know I've spaced the holes 65mm apart for a 50mm lift, this is so the bumper sits directly below/touching the grille for a neater look.
                              How do you get the bumper to sit level at the sides from a side view? Do you elongate the holes vertically?

Comment

How do you get the bumper to sit level at the sides from a side view? Do you elongate the holes vertically?
                                8 bolt holes = plenty of adjustment...
                                "B.A." Baracus: "Talk to me, talk sense so I can talk back. Not all this jibberjabber like breaking the peace and all that."
                                www.johnthebuilder.info

Comment

Working...
                                X