Suspension/body Lifts Info!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goodcat View Post
    and yes i did tighten all the lines and clips etc before we did all the main bits back up.
    That's not what I meant. I mant, before you tightened anything on the suspension up, did you have the weight of the truck on the wheels and the truck on a level surface?
    Do you know that, with a 50 character limit, it's

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
      That's not what I meant. I mant, before you tightened anything on the suspension up, did you have the weight of the truck on the wheels and the truck on a level surface?
      such as?
      im pretty sure the car was on the deck before we fitted the shocks? the springs went in when the axel was droped and was wedged in when we raied the back with the trolly jacks.

another thing....ive noticed that the panhard rod has shoved my truck out of line by quite a bit. 1 wheel sticks out and inch or so and the other side stick In an inch or so.
      i will be buying an adjustable panhard rod at some point this week but was wondering how safe it is to drive like this?
      also the rear suspension is ROCK SOLID! it almost bunny hops over speed bumps. is this becasue the ARB's are back on ad they are too short???? or is this what all surfs do when you use LC springs and shocks?

Comment

Last time we took the rear springs out, we jacked it up, I bounced on the hub and spanner dave pulled the spring out. Easy as.

I'm a fat fcuker though
        Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

such as?
          im pretty sure the car was on the deck before we fitted the shocks? the springs went in when the axel was droped and was wedged in when we raied the back with the trolly jacks.
          All the bolts on the suspension. Panhard rod, link arms and shock absorber bolts.

another thing....ive noticed that the panhard rod has shoved my truck out of line by quite a bit. 1 wheel sticks out and inch or so and the other side stick In an inch or so.
          That's pythagoras again.

also the rear suspension is ROCK SOLID! it almost bunny hops over speed bumps. is this becasue the ARB's are back on ad they are too short???? or is this what all surfs do when you use LC springs and shocks?
          It's nothing to do with the ARB! ARBs only do something when you're cornering. It's probably a combination of the Springs and Shock absorbers. The Shock absorbers are supposed to be used on a much heavier truck, so probably won't be allowing any recoil/rebound at all on a Surf. We did say not to fit them.

Comment

Originally posted by Albannach View Post
            All the bolts on the suspension. Panhard rod, link arms and shock absorber bolts.

yes. incluing the shocks.

That's pythagoras again.
            i was aware that it would kick out. was just concerned at how much.

It's nothing to do with the ARB! OK!! ARBs only do something when you're cornering. It's probably a combination of the Springs and Shock absorbers. The Shock absorbers are supposed to be used on a much heavier truck, so probably won't be allowing any recoil/rebound at all on a Surf. We did say not to fit them.
            actually you said they "couldnt" be fitted. not that i "shouldnt"
            im not too bothered about the shocks anyway. ill be replacing them at some point with some fancy +3" doo daa's

Comment

actually you said they "couldnt" be fitted. not that i "shouldnt"
              No, I said they won't fit, I didn't say they couldn't be fitted. There's a difference.

Comment

looking back at the pics i took i cant see why it wouldnt drop?? i just went by what he said. there must have been a reason. he isnt stupid.
                Yup. He sounds like a true genius, as who in their right mind would expect a pivot arm to pivot.

Comment

Originally posted by MattF View Post
                  Yup. He sounds like a true genius, as who in their right mind would expect a pivot arm to pivot.
                  i did scrtach my head when i came back and saw the panhard rod on the deck. i knew it was going to be a slag to fit back on. but im hardly one to question him. he's a mechanic, im a builder!

but yes what a ####.

Comment

Rear ARB's are for girls!
                    Makes roundabouts far more interesting!

I like my rear axle offset. It means I only need to buy 1 wheel spacer! Bwahahaha!

I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

I think this thread should be sticky. Excellent write up. This saved me posting a thread earlier. Although some of the links are dead now?

Thanks!
                      Oh Nana, what's my name?

Comment

greeeeaattttt thread!!

I've learnt loads reading this. Interesting how you said about the back being out of line, I've noticed since having my big ass tyres on, that i can see the drivers side rear tyre in the rear view quite a bit, but seemed that the passenger side wasnt sticking out as much. Is this a problem that needs fixing? with a new panhard?

I'm still very new to all this, so learning as i go..... my mind is a sponge tho, i'm absorbing everything as i hear and read it!!
                        www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Have you had a suspension lift done aswell Rich.If so then this would be the cause.Ask Bushy if he is willing to make you a panhard drop bracket for whatever suspension lift you got and then it will pull the axel back into line proper
                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/henpals/

Comment

Originally posted by stormforce View Post
                            Have you had a suspension lift done aswell Rich.If so then this would be the cause.Ask Bushy if he is willing to make you a panhard drop bracket for whatever suspension lift you got and then it will pull the axel back into line proper
                            Yes Rich, well, only the 2" RT springs, and wound torsions up, I haven't changed shocks or owt. Would this still occur from that? Is it bad to drive like this?
                            I bought a 2" body lift kit last night from Xpajun (£62) or whatever theyre called, and gonna have a good look round it today, clean all the areas up with wd to get it ready. Sounds easier than the springs to do so gonna give it a whirl myself. Sat up hrs last night reading old articles on here.

Cheers Rich
                            www.vidamusic.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by VidaMusic View Post
                              Is it bad to drive like this?
                              No, its fine. If its not miles out, its not worth bothering about.
                              Cutting steps in the roof of the world

Comment

With my truck I recently put in an old man emu/sdori suspension lift and have been incredibly happy with the ride quality and performance. For the front I used OME torsion bars, steering stabilizer, shocks and 1.5" Ball joint spacers. For the rear I used 2" coil spacers with OME medium duty springs and a 2" panhard bar drop bracket.
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Canadian_Hilux; 17 February 2011, 06:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X