On board air and step

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On board air and step

Thought i'd write this mod up in case it's any help to anyone thinking of doing it, first the air,
    many of you know i got the air compressor and tank etc from surfinstien but the wireing/ pipeing's pretty much good for any comp such as viair etc, just disregard the solonoids attached to mine, this was i believe from an ambulance air suspension system, and wont be used untill and if i come accross some reasonably priced air bags,
    the pic's pretty much tell the install, the comps wired through a 40amp relay via a master switch on the center console and i also fitted a moisture trap even tho the comp has an air dryer fitted,,i've stuck it in the rear o/s cubby hole after makeing it a bit bigger and makeing an alloy case for it, there was just enough chequer plate left over from the step which was kindly donated by Rodleach,
    only place i could find to fit the manual five port valve was in the roof console along with the two flow regulators, all this and many fittings were also kindly donated by Webbo (cant praise this guy enough, a real gent!)
    i also decieded to fit some quick snap air connectors for plugging in the red retractable hose you see in the back, handy for the tyres etc, one either side
    midships and one in the back comp cover, also fitted two of the led computer fans in that to help cool the compressor,
    pressure gauge is fitted in the cover at the back but i need a 52mm panel mounted/illumated one for the cab if such a gauge exists?
    the tank was the problem, did'nt really want it inside the truck just in case it goes bang and there was nowhere under the truck unless i did away with the rear part of the exhaust which is what i've done, i did intent fitting a 3"s/s exhaust at some point in the future and this has forced my hand somewhat, got my eye on a 3" box (which is a dam sight smaller than the sodding great original one) and a short 3" flexi, so i'm going to replace (when i can afford it)
    the exhaust from the front original flexi joint, increase it to 3" and take it out just in front of the rear wheel, i can do the front section at a later date but meanwhile i'm running on an open pipe, mot's a while off yet

running stuff up to the roof's getting a bit tight as you can see and i've had to alter the side of the roof console cos my missis keeps banging her head on it,

Attached Files
    Last edited by POPEYE; 23 June 2008, 15:52.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Step

Again the pic's tell it all, it's made of 50x25mm oblong box cut open to make a
    "U" shaped channel with a slight return to stop the rollers hopping out, these form the slides for the step to run in & out on, the step itself was made of 50x50mm angle and flat bar with "roller skate" radial bearings (about 40 a side) from ebay, topped off with a alloy chequer plate tread, this will be worked by the air ram eventually, not many of you will want an air opperated disabled step but the idea may come in handy for other applications,
    Big thanks to everyone that helped,
    Attached Files

Comment

And finally a word from my
      SPONSOR

Comment

Fantastic write up mate!!

an the word from your sponser was great!

Comment

hmmmmmm air suspension

Comment

Pressure Gauge.

Ian got the 3" 90 you wanted also let me know the pressure range i've got some gauges think they are glycerine filled but iluminated not, I think you may struggle a bit on that one, maybe you can led them some how ?

Comment

Pressure Gauge.

Ian got the 3" 90 you wanted also let me know the pressure range i've got some gauges think they are glycerine filled but iluminated not, I think you may struggle a bit on that one, maybe you can led them some how ?

By the way top notch job, you seem to have a vision and just go for it. Well done mate.

Comment

Originally posted by RodLeach View Post
                Fantastic write up mate!!

an the word from your sponser was great!
                Cheer's Rod

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post

By the way top notch job, you seem to have a vision and just go for it. Well done mate.
                  Thanks Dave! apprecieate that, (two posts!! does that mean you got two 90's,) not really sure of the pressure range but 0-150 would be ok i guess, what do you think? cant see that little comp getting it much higher than that,
                  illumination aint to important but you know what i'm like for all things "lit up",
                  you got my PM ok i take it? regarding the tube etc, i think you will struggle with the s/s plate for the flanges as there are so many, actually 2 less as i aint going to bother with the straight pipe/box changeover, i'll keep the 3" box
                  on all the time, especially after hearing it run on an open pipe, sounds good but the jondarmes will have summat to say about it,
                  if poss i'd like 3 mt of tube in any lenghts you can get if thats possible, let me know how much they will charge you and i'll send the money to you but dont order it till you have recieved payment from me and dont forget to add the cost of the bend and gauge (if you have one),
                  i'll add the drawing i did if it'll load, cheers mate and thanks again,

it worked!! never sure of the byte size
                  Attached Files

Comment

Very nice Ian, But can you put a ROWNTREES FRUIT PASTEL in your mouth without chewing
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
                    (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by marky View Post
                      Very nice Ian, But can you put a ROWNTREES FRUIT PASTEL in your mouth without chewing
                      NO!! not many teeth left mate but i got to chew em

Comment

Ian take it you want about eight flanges with say three bolt fixings and not to fussed bout the shape as long as the 3" o/d pipe will fit through it snug ? If this is the case I will ask my mate how much it would cost to have them laser cut, sounds expensive but it not really I can but ask. Like I said to Vince I think the pipe was about £10 a meter I'm sure postage wont be to much.Please bear with me as when I came back off hol I've found myself on 12 hour shifts days then nights................ouch.

Comment

Originally posted by Webbo View Post
                          Ian take it you want about eight flanges with say three bolt fixings and not to fussed bout the shape as long as the 3" o/d pipe will fit through it snug ? If this is the case I will ask my mate how much it would cost to have them laser cut, sounds expensive but it not really I can but ask. Like I said to Vince I think the pipe was about £10 a meter I'm sure postage wont be to much.Please bear with me as when I came back off hol I've found myself on 12 hour shifts days then nights................ouch.
                          Thanks Dave, PM'd you, no rush at all, i'm getting to like the sound with no muffler, especially when ya deck it in a built up area

Comment

A cracking bit of engineering Ian, an excellent write up too.
                            Alan

yoshie "Didn't know they had a pill for laziness, anyway get well soon."

Comment

Originally posted by KERRSURF View Post
                              A cracking bit of engineering Ian, an excellent write up too.
                              Thanks Alan, apprecieate that.

Comment

Working...
                              X