Roof Console

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Console

I just got the interior back in and finished (so i thought) and then decieded to put a roof console in, Just missed a nice one out of a cherrokee and the
    ready made ones from ARB etc that AndyLaLa kindly gave me the link too
    are well out of my price range so i made one, First thing is what to fix it to?
    I'd just put the headliner back and could'nt remember if there was a support
    crossmember between the front and the centre (with the int light fixed to it )
    So off with all the front trim and managed to get the liner down at the front enough to see and there is'nt, So i had this peice if alloy bar knocking about for ages, it's about 60mm x 6mm and long enough, I cut it to lenght and drilled the front for a bolt fixing at the front into a captive nut that was behind the int mirror assembly, The other end (back) just james in on top of the centre cross member (with some insulating tape round it) A big head is fixed at the rear end to take the arse end of the console and its quite sturdy,

Haveing measured up i made the console out of ply and pine and deceided to make it so it hinged at the front and is able to be unbolted and lowered quite easyly I used a large steel hinge and drilled it to fix to two of the captive nuts
    that the mirror and light fitted to as you can see from the pics the whole thing is held up by this hinge and a nut (s/s dome) at the rear and a screw either side at the front,

Once made i covered it with black carpet (left over from the floor)

I was gonna fix the CB horizontally underneath with the int mirror/lights under that but it was far too low so i deceided to fix the CB at an angle with the mirror assbly fixed just forward of it and blocked down a bit, Also fitted some fuse holders in it for the verious stuff,
    I worked out what i wanted to put in this console before i started and so far it's got the multichanger, CB radio, the beat sensor thingy, two KA clocks
    (yep i got another one) and the two little "map lights" i made earlier and there's plenty of space left for other stuff, I had to pull the multichanger cables out from the back (where it used to be) and run em up the O/S front pillar which was a sod, I still gotta do the same on the other side when i get a
    cable and mast for the CB,

Also made these earlier to go under the seats and work off the beat sensor,
    It's a neat piece of gear and very sensitive, makes the speaker leds and these flash nicely and makes em flash if you cough, tap or fart as i found out, You can have em on flash, off, or on permantly and you have a sensitivity controll, Just a little bull $hit, I know i need to get out more!!!

Thats it for now
    Last edited by POPEYE; 24 June 2006, 19:51.
    Too young to die and too old to give a toss

Ian mate, all I can say is WOW!

p.s. here's a pic of my interior.........hehehe!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BUSHWHACKER; 24 June 2006, 20:28.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Ian mate, al I can say is WOW!

All I can say is I can not see the pics as they are so big I need a 50" screen !
      Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Hehe!! yeah, I had to go into the garden and view them from there!

Comment

Yeah! sorry about that, Thing is i cant remember which pics i took with the camera on 640 and which were on 1200 so i post em all from photobucket,
          I'm gonna have to learn a new way to swing me big arse in as i've banged me head on the f**king thing three times already and i aint been anywhere yet!

Comment

Been there Ian, it don't half hurt dunnit?
            After the fourth time you automaticaly duck as you get in.

Comment

im impressed mate , next time i see a ufo i willl think of you lol
              Only Toyota can get you out of shite

Comment

excellents stuff, you must need 3 batteries to run your surf now though?!?!?
                i swear, it was like that when i got here...

Comment

New batterys comeing up at the end of the month courtesy of er indoors! Still running on one old original and an old serria batt at the mo and i have to boost em once a week, Cheapest quote was from a toyota dealership at £52.04 + vat, My friendly car accessory shop where i go all the time come in at £70 + each so F*** him, Like your cockpit Michael i mean Vince!!!

Comment

That looks stonkingly good. Nice one. I've fitted my C.B in front of the gear lever
                    on the centre console, and removed the glove box to install a connection board
                    for the power options in the front. Well jealous of your roof console.

With regards to batteries, you should be able to get them for around £45 inc.
                    apiece.

Comment

Thanks Matt/Joker for your remarks, Have a go mate! It's not difficult all ya need is ply and something to cover it with, If you still got the original int light you could make the console a bit longer and fix the back end to that crossmember and include the light in the console, I did'nt want to do that as i've replaced the int light with a big led thing, Batterys! as i said cheapest was Toyota so far, maybe were paying more for being "down south" everything seems more expensive down here! Ian

Comment

I fancied making a long consol like yours Ian, but my sunroof put a stop to that plan! The sunroof is a handy place to place my solar panel though, between the glass and the plastic sliding cover. Oh, and I've re-fitted the sunroof switch to my roof consol / radio housing now.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
                          I fancied making a long consol like yours Ian, but my sunroof put a stop to that plan! The sunroof is a handy place to place my solar panel though, between the glass and the plastic sliding cover. Oh, and I've re-fitted the sunroof switch to my roof consol / radio housing now.
                          Yeah! Sunroof does limit you a bit but i think i would sooner have a sunroof if i had a choice, I take it the solar panel is for keeping the battery's charged?
                          The console i bid on from a cheerokee was very long, it went over the rear seats i think and would have made a good basis to build on, You could have cut it in half and stuck it either side of the sunroof ( or do two trucks with it)

Comment

Yeah, the solar panel is for keeping the batteries topped up when camping until I can afford some big badass deep cycle batteries, then I'll do a split charge system.

Comment

Do you have the measurements for your roof console?

Man,

Your console is out of this world! Congratulations! Would you have by chance its measurements?
                              Thanks in advance.

André in Brazil

Comment

Working...
                              X