Project '2 door'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project '2 door'

Finally got motivated today, cut most of the IFS junk off and got the solid axle lined under the truck, looks good.

got some measuring and bracket fabricating to do now, and get the sucker fixed in.

Feels good to playing with my junk again.

In case your wondering, its a 1981 pickup front axle, 3" lift springs and 2" shackles and 35x12.50R15 Kumho tyres.
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Lookin' good! but you really ought to be doing that in a nice dry cosy workshop.

says me with the bonnet up on the Mondeo and a big black cloud looming overhead.

Comment

I see you are using the alternative fuel source for this new endeavour...

Beers and Pringles... Bet Customs and Excise will slap some duty on that too...

I do have a question...

Is there anywhere were you can calculate how different gears may affect the powerband of the engine if you don't regear the diffs...?
      Just thinking out loud... could I get 33's on without having to regear... and what would the penalty be...? could that regearing not be done in the transfer case...?

Comment

Tony

Will the IFS power steering box be the same ratio as the solid axle box or will you have to change the box or just the drop arm ?
        Are you moving the axle as far forward as possible or mounting as in our 1st gens ? I see the Yotatec guys seem to move axle forward when doing these swaps .
        Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by Vagrant No2
          Tony

Will the IFS power steering box be the same ratio as the solid axle box or will you have to change the box or just the drop arm ?
          Are you moving the axle as far forward as possible or mounting as in our 1st gens ? I see the Yotatec guys seem to move axle forward when doing these swaps .
          Not sure about the ratio, don't think there is much in it, but I'm keeping the IFS box and its going to have a 'hysteer' setup so the tie rod is above the springs and also will eliminate most of the bump steer that the stock solid axle setup has.

The front wheel is going as far forward as poss without it looking silly, (and don't want it to be a Plod magnet as far as poss) as I want to clear the 35's with as little lift as possible so keeping it away from the bulkhead is good. Hard to work out ATM as I've not put the rear springs on the front yet, they are still shorter front springs.

Comment

hate to nit pick tony but that looks very dangerous you know!!!!!

that beer bottle could fall off
            best put a crate up there son
            Enjoying Life after Cancer
            Pops

Comment

OK, in true George Lucus stylee, here's the 'Project 2 Door' prequel, for those who havn't been paying attention.....

One spring morning, a stripped out 2 door bodyshell arrived on a trailer, in exchange for changing a clutch and heater matrix on another Surf.....

Getting Jotto's trailer out so he could have it back.....

Comment

Is it me, or is there something really large missing between the last image and the first image...?

Comment

Having parted out most of my old grey 4 door 89' truck, the tailgate and the chassis went underneath 'Project 2 door'...

Then in a change of plans for the pickup, it donated its motor, tranny and axles for the greater cause (thanks to my glamourous assistant Linda)....

which loosely brings us up to date, with the axles going on Project 2 Door and then the V8 from the pickup before to long.

Comment

Blimey, poor old linda... hope you didn't leave her holding that frame up too long...?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      Is it me, or is there something really large missing between the last image and the first image...?
                      What? like most of last year?!?!

Comment

Tony, you know you are our spritual mod leader.. and without your guidance we are lost in the quagmire of indifference and complacency...

Originally posted by TonyN
                        What? like most of last year?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                          Tony, you know you are our spiritual mod leader.. and without your guidance we are lost in the quagmire of indifference and complacency...
                          i don't understand long words... i'm just lost!

oh, and the beer and pringles were just props to make him look more hardcore!... he hid the KFC bucket and supersize diet coke.
                          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Ah it seems the phone call I made has spurred him on. Go on Tony, you do all the ground work for me!

Still having no luck with the V8 adapter plate, so I may still have to go for the V8 and Rover auto box route and bin/modify the centre console.

Looking good tho mate!
                            I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

Just a thought, wouldn't it be easier to get a Range rover with a V8 in it , and just swap the body with the Surfs?

Comment

Working...
                              X