Project '2 door'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyN
    Not sure about the ratio, don't think there is much in it, but I'm keeping the IFS box and its going to have a 'hysteer' setup so the tie rod is above the springs and also will eliminate most of the bump steer that the stock solid axle setup has.

You making your own hysteer or buying in a kit ? It is well documented as you know on Yota. Wallskiyrabbit on Yota made his own with a thread showing the details .
    Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER
      Just a thought, wouldn't it be easier to get a Range rover with a V8 in it , and just swap the body with the Surfs?
      Nah, its got be as Toyota as possible, If I could get a Lexus quad cam V8, the Rover V8 would be in the bin!
      4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Nah, its got be as Toyota as possible, If I could get a Lexus quad cam V8, the Rover V8 would be in the bin!
        Dont waste it! I got a use for it!!!!
        I NEED TO OFFROAD!

Comment

WHY oh WHY did I not buy that 2 door I was offered a year ago

Comment

Has Linda shrunk to midget size or are they big wheels?

Looking good Tony. Makes my little project look lame (It's good practice for when I get my BJ40 though). I wish I had the room. Local corporation style lock up garages leave no room to work once the truck is inside, so I am reliant on the weather..............sigh! I suppose I could lose 4 Stone, then there would be room for me and the truck.
            It's only a hobby!

Comment

Originally posted by kitesurf_phil

Has Linda shrunk to midget size or are they big wheels?
              They are Huge!!!

@Danno - not you. I made him remove everything from the horse yard and create a bigger muck heap, which meant the Caravan had to move, so we could actually get to the 2 door again.... and I went off doing horsey things this morning.... came home to find the wheels nearly on and the axle stands gone. Can't wait to drive it...
              Linda

www.4x4toys.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                Is there anywhere were you can calculate how different gears may affect the powerband of the engine if you don't regear the diffs...?
                Just thinking out loud... could I get 33's on without having to regear... and what would the penalty be...? could that regearing not be done in the transfer case...?
                Andy, this the chart I was looking for for you, its based around Petrol V6 trucks, but might help give you an idea.

Comment

Nice find...

So what is the standard ratio in the diffs...?

Comment

So a G145 Axle gives a ratio of 4.875:1...

Does that mean I could get away with 35" tyres....?
                    With only the speedo to worry about...?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyLala
                      So a G145 Axle gives a ratio of 4.875:1...

Does that mean I could get away with 35" tyres....?
                      With only the speedo to worry about...?
                      If you have a 150hp V6..............

Comment

so a little work on the turbo... maybe those washers after all...

and 33" with that Superlift (Truspeed) electronic gubbins box to bring the speedo back...?

So it pulls off a little slower... that is not the end of the world...

If you have a 150hp V6..............

Last edited by AndyLala; 3 January 2006, 19:51.

Comment

I'm so jealous of this whole project. Makes my home rally car build look so lame in comparison

2 door surfs look the pooches pods and that one is going to rule
                          Real trucks don't have spark plugs

Comment

Found something of interest for the rear end...

http://www.pirate4x4.com/articles/pr...iews/eor_3link

A completely mad rear end... note the rear disc brakes too... totally sweeeet as they might say...

Comment

I know where there is two LS400's is a breakers yard. Both have engines. Let me know if you want details.
                              (They are in Ireland BTW)

Comment

OK, back to this project, we've settled on a motor (ATM!) a Chevy 305ci (5L)...

(top motor, one on floor is the Rover its replacing) that came out of a friends day van that now has a 350ci motor in it, so it was time to hit ebay to find a tranny for the beast.

I won a NP302 T/case, which was a good start, but when going to collect it the guy had a whole slushbox/Tcase in the garage, so the deal was done and we ended up with a TH350 (non-electric) Autobox and a NP305 T/case!

It was a toss up for the T/case, full time 4wd (302) vs part time (305) like the 2nd gen surfs, but I couldn't afford both so we got the TH350/NP305 combo as one unit and called it good.

Was a heavy bugger to load in the back of the truck, but its home now and taking up space in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                                X