Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Spacers

Hi All,

Have just been looking at the show me some infor website...

See Link

http://www.showmesome.info/hilux/workshop/spacers.htm

Am i right in thinking that you only need to put some spacers in to "lift" the truck?? Or do you need to do other stuff aswell

If I'm right, do you do front and rear or just front or just rear

Thankyoooou

Joe
    Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

On a 2nd Gen to raise the suspension you can fit spacers to the rear springs (or longer springs). On the front the torsion bars will need to be adjusted to increase the height, or alternatively you can fit balljoint spacers
    Maurice
    Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

You can lift the front or rear with the suspension, front need the torsion bars adjusting or ball joint spacers for up to 2" lifts, bigger needs diff reclocation, rear can go 2" with bigger coils or spacers, bigger needs 4 link bars relocation kit.

Or a body lift lifts the whole body off the chassis by however big lift blocks you use.

Or combine body lift with suspension lift.

4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Spring spacers are a good bet for raising the rear. Many Surfers- me included- have fitted these so called +2" springs from Milners and others only to find there is little difference and that after a few loads of logs and a couple of years they sag again. I measure my '+2" springs' from new. At best they only gave 1.5" lift. So I eventualy ended up installing 4Crawler 2" spring spacers as well.

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock@work
          Spring spacers are a good bet for raising the rear. Many Surfers- me included- have fitted these so called +2" springs from Milners and others only to find there is little difference and that after a few loads of logs and a couple of years they sag again. I measure my '+2" springs' from new. At best they only gave 1.5" lift. So I eventualy ended up installing 4Crawler 2" spring spacers as well.
          err, Milners only over sold uprated springs, not lift springs, they should be the same height as stock, but will carry heavier loads.

Comment

Thanks guys... Will have to start saving the pennies!!!! What would you say was the best/longterm most cost efficent way of lifting the truck a bit... 2" should be enough..

I went off roading at the weekend and the undercarrige was getting uncomfortably close to the ground in places!!

Cheers

Paranoid? They're out to GET YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by joe112
              I went off roading at the weekend and the undercarrige was getting uncomfortably close to the ground in places!!
              Doesn't matter how much lift you have - the holes get deeper
              Roger

My Pointer ate the dog trainer

Comment

Originally posted by Gamedawn
                Doesn't matter how much lift you have - the holes get deeper
                Sage........

Comment

Originally posted by TonyN
                  Sage........

and onion
                  nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Cheapest/easiest way is to tweak the tortion bars at the front (can usually get a bit of lift this way), and fit lifted springs at the rear. If you find the rear starts to sag or is not as high as you want (or when the springs start to sag) then go for the spacers. I mainly fitted the spacers as I carry my motorbike on a rack on the tow-hitch, and the rear was sagging way too much with this extra weight - with the spring spacers it's much better.

If you can afford it go for the springs and spacers at the same time and save yourself the bother of two seperate fittings jobs.

Simon

Originally posted by joe112
                    Thanks guys... Will have to start saving the pennies!!!! What would you say was the best/longterm most cost efficent way of lifting the truck a bit... 2" should be enough..

Cheers

No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

can you buy these spring spacers in the uk, or is 4 crawler the only option.

codlord, how long did delivery from the states take?

cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                        can you buy these spring spacers in the uk, or is 4 crawler the only option. codlord, how long did delivery from the states take?
                        Don't know of anywhere in the UK (or even anywhere else) that does them.

Roger Brown (4crawler) gave me a choice of shipping options/costs and I chose Airmail:
                        Express 3-5 days $42.00
                        Airmail 4-10 days $35.00
                        Surface 4 weeks $25.00
                        Although this was after waiting 3 weeks for him to get new stock in as when I first enquired he did not have any (I also paid via paypal).
                        No longer a Surf owner.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty
                          can you buy these spring spacers in the uk, or is 4 crawler the only option.

codlord, how long did delivery from the states take?

cheers scotty
                          I could probably dig out the plans for them if you want to get an engineering shop to turn some for you?

Comment

laser jock, that would be appreciated

<member@scottmains.wanadoo.co. uk> if you would mail me them .

if you have got the plans for them, i'm assuming that you have had some made. what is the best material to get them milled out of?.

again many thanks cheers scotty

Comment

Originally posted by laser_jock99
                              I could probably dig out the plans for them if you want to get an engineering shop to turn some for you?
                              Hi Laser jock - would you be so kind as to email me a copy as well, i have a mate who works in a machining type shop who owes me a favour!!
                              hiluxsurf@tiscali.co.uk
                              many many many thanks
                              Ali
                              Everyone thinks I'm paranoid!!

Comment

Working...
                              X