No announcement yet.

Regearing to 4.88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Jim, havnt done it yet. To busy. But i went to take out the front diff on Tue night and it started to pi$$ rain. Typical! Gonna do it this weekend, but not gonna put it back in til i do my Clutch. Too much hassle! Will take some pics during, if i remember!
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Just a little update. They supplied me the wrong carrier bearings so i had to order some from up north and they arent in any hurry to send them.
      Diffs been in pieces for 2 weeks now. Gettin a wee bit peed off!
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Little update. I am gonna do a write-up on this. Got a little carried away at the weekend and did everything up to putting the cover back on. But i'm gonna take it apart and take some photos. After setting it up, i wasnt happy with the final backlash setting so i have ordered new carrier bearing shims to push the ring closer to the pinion. Cost about €5 each from Toyota. Also had to buy and new pinion oil seal as when i was carefully hammering the new one into the housing the little spring fell out of it, so i had to use the new rear one. Luckily theyre the same size.
        Also, while i think of it, if anyone is doing this job, i would strongly advise that they reuse the original ringear bolts and not the ones supplied with the master install kit, as they are s^!t. Supposed to be torqued to 100nm but started to strip at about 60nm. So one of the bolts isnt great. Just thought i'd share that in case if forgot in the write-up. Ah! Ye live and learn!
        Derek :
        1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

TONY...

i know an excellent mechanic in reading, has a fully fitted workshop so if you run into trouble with yours i'll give you his number...

he's a bit old school (all the info's in his head!!)

also if you have an RS turbo he's the best around for them!
          nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Originally posted by da SLUG man
            TONY...

i know an excellent mechanic in reading, has a fully fitted workshop so if you run into trouble with yours i'll give you his number...

he's a bit old school (all the info's in his head!!)

also if you have an RS turbo he's the best around for them!
            Thanks Bob! But who's Tony?
            Derek :
            1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
              Thanks Bob! But who's Tony?
              Originally posted by TonyN
              Personally, I'm gonna do my own when needs be, but its lots of cash down the drain if they arn't setup correctly, to much or to little backlash will fawk them in a few 100 miles.
              Del... dunno... some fella in Basingstoke!
              nee nar nee nar, i'm a fire engine!

Comment

Got my bits yesterday and managed to finish the hard part of the install last night. When i put in the new side washers the backlash was .25mm which is fine, but the pattern on the ring was way too deep. So i had to pull it all apart againand take .25 off the pinion shims. Reset everyting and the paint was perfect. Then had to take it all apart again and put the crush sleeve in. So the hard part is done, just have to put the cover on and reassemble the diff. Quite proud of myself. You need a lot of tools, time and patience to do this job! Took loads of photos for the write-up so will get around to that some day!
                Derek :
                1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

All good stuff Del, forging ahead with that Surf. Look forward to seing your write up, just to see how much torture this job has given you
                  Maurice
                  Hilux Surf FAQ at www.hiluxsurf.eu

Comment

Originally posted by Morr
                    All good stuff Del, forging ahead with that Surf. Look forward to seing your write up, just to see how much torture this job has given you
                    Cheers Maurice, quite a bit of torture. I finished it last night, just need to paint it with some por-15 or similar. Will start the writeup soon, but may take a while. May borrow some stuff from other write-ups!
                    Derek :
                    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

hey check out yotatech.com and wildyoats .com thats what we Americans use as forums has bunches of regear install listings

Comment

Working...
                      X