Regearing to 4.88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regearing to 4.88

I remember saying when i changed to 33's that i probably wouldnt regear as there wasnt much difference. Well, i've gotten tired of changing down a gear everytime i go up a little hill. Tired of crappy mileage too, so i've bitten the bullet and order 4.88's for my diffs. My originals are 4.3's since my first tyres were 215/70r15. I would imagine i'llnotice a far difference. I ordered them from a guy who advertised on Pirate4x4. He had the best price by far and came in at least €100 cheaper than any others. They are Yukon gears which i have heard mainly good things about. I called him in the states and he was very helpful. A really nice guy and a big U2 fan, of course. The website is www.performanceoffroadcenter.com . They do all sorts and apparently he will beat any price for anything.
    Derek :
    1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
    [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

All the gear sets LA Supertrux sells are Yukon gears, good stuff. You fitting them?
    4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Yeah Tony, Yukon! Do you reckon i could set them up myself or should i get someone in the know to do it?
      Derek :
      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd
      [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]S[/U][/COLOR][/B]ave [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]U[/U][/COLOR][/B]p [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]R[/U][/COLOR][/B]eadies [B][COLOR=DarkOrange][U]F[/U][/COLOR][/B]ast. Cause you're gonna need them!

Comment

Dunno, its a tough call, all you need is a dial guage, the correct preload and backlash specs, and loads of patience!

Personally, I'm gonna do my own when needs be, but its lots of cash down the drain if they arn't setup correctly, to much or to little backlash will fawk them in a few 100 miles.

So, do you feel lucky......punk????

Comment

Gulp!
          Derek :
          1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by Delboy
            Gulp!
            I paid a local firm £150 cash to rebuild my Lotus diff . I thought for that price let someone else with the experience and tools for the job do it .Shims , preload tubes and stuff not on my shelf !
            Funny letting Tam , my wife , carry it to work in a Sainsbury shopping tub and deliver it and collect it from the guy ! He must have wondered what the heck she was delivering .

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

I have all the equipment to do the job, but i might get the guy who sold me my front locker to help. He did offer, so it would be rude not to take him up on it.
              Derek :
              1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

S'funny your '90 had 4.3 gears with 215s yet my early '91 has 4.56 also with 215s stock. That Sean fella knows more bout these Yotes than many, hes got a 1HDFTE running on a made-up frame in his shed.

Comment

I bought his old 2.4 engine from his surf incl all ancillaries for €400. Have to collect it soon. Will wait till gears arrive and maybe kill two burds with one stone.
                  Derek :
                  1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

I bought his old 2.4 engine from his surf incl all ancillaries for €400. Have to collect it soon. Will wait till gears arrive and maybe kill two burds with one stone.
                    My missus has two Auntie Hillarys if they are any use to ya

Comment

Derek :
                      1990 Hilux Surf SSR Ltd

Comment

... Well, i've gotten tired of changing down a gear everytime i go up a little hill. Tired of crappy mileage too, ...

poor milage? but shouldn't having the truck over-geared give you lower cruising rpms and thus better milage? I am considering regearing "up" for this purpose, and am interested in thoughts.

Thanks,
                        Keegan

Comment

Originally posted by mrkeeg
                          poor milage? but shouldn't having the truck over-geared give you lower cruising rpms and thus better milage? I am considering regearing "up" for this purpose, and am interested in thoughts.

Thanks,
                          Keegan
                          Delboys bigger tyres and other junk fitted to the truck means the truck can't get into its powerband, so he's having to rev it higher in lower gears to get the power so using more fuel. He's at the other end of the problem from you.

To higher gearing will just suck all the torque out of the engine, getting just as crappy MPG as to low gearing revving its t!ts off at motorway speeds.

Comment

Hmm... makes sense, thanks for the thoughts.

...I guess it may not be worthwhile ... *wondering about some power mods (air intake scoop, exhaust) to offset the torque loss of up-gearing* ..hmmm... gotta save a lot of gas to pay for that! *L* guess I'm stuck where I am...

Keegan

Interestingly ... perhaps this is for a different thread... but we rented a suburban (you know, the original, monstous american gas-guzzler) for a long road trip with a lot of gear and people , and....

tons and tons of power
                            way bigger and heavier than a surf
                            v8 gas
                            and ... 14L/100k (way better milage than a surf) -

... so what's the deal? It was brand new for one thing ... but another thing I noticed is that it hardly left 2000 rpms, even at over highway speed or under load ... interesting.

Comment

So Derek, what the eck appened? Are you regeared and where are the pics?

Comment

Working...
                              X