Priming pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Priming pump

Can anyone help me please. Problem is the priming pump on depression is squishing out diesel from somwhere just underneath the thing you depress. It seems to be sucking air back in. Could this relate to my progressively worsening current engine problem, which is excessive reving of its own volition, black smoke from the exhaust, and the engine cutting out on me with much sputtering both at speed and on slowing down. If the primer pump is faulty does anyone know where I could get a new one or if the old one can be re-fertled so to speak?

Originally posted by Gillian
    Can anyone help me please. Problem is the priming pump on depression is squishing out diesel from somwhere just underneath the thing you depress. It seems to be sucking air back in. Could this relate to my progressively worsening current engine problem, which is excessive reving of its own volition, black smoke from the exhaust, and the engine cutting out on me with much sputtering both at speed and on slowing down. If the primer pump is faulty does anyone know where I could get a new one or if the old one can be re-fertled so to speak?
    1. It could be a seal on or around the priming 'handle'
    2. Try taking of the fuel filter to see if this is the problem - could be on cross-threaded, not tight enough or some air locked in side
    3. After taking of the fuel filter dont forget to re-prime the pump by removing the out-flow pipe until you see a little fuel and then put pipe back on
    Gaz

Comment

Also ensure the drain tap at the bottom of the unit is tight.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
      (")_(")

Comment

Here is a pic of the pump & its parts
        Attached Files
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) SQUIRREL MUNCHER GRRRRRRR
        (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by Gillian
          It seems to be sucking air back in. Could this relate to my progressively worsening current engine problem, which is excessive reving of its own volition, black smoke from the exhaust, and the engine cutting out on me with much sputtering both at speed and on slowing down.
          Yup, this is a sympton of sucking air.

Its leaking anyway, try and strip the top of the fuel filter housing and pump to see if you have any split seals/o-rings etc.
          4x4toys.co.uk - Keeping you on and off the road...

Comment

Working...
          X