No announcement yet.

Weird wobbles - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, theoretical question time. What would the driving symptoms likely be for tired, overly worn torsion bars, cranked up to the max?

Owen

Comment

If it was me I'd beg/borro some original wheels/Tyres NOT 33's n see what happens ..
      Are ya 33 wheels/tyres balanced ??

16+ Years of Surfs n 9 years on Spotless it ain't but Faultless to a "T" is my KZN 130 Yota !!
      Buncefield Burner

Comment

Yep they're balanced and brand new. Wheels are steel modulars, all very heavy kit. Certainly could be worth a check with another set for comparison.

The reason we're thinking the torsion bars are shot is because the bars have been cranked to the max, but the bottom wishbone angles are still relatively flat and have given very little lift. Hence the wondering about ride symptoms.

I presume worn out bars fully cranked would ride pretty terribly, though I can't work out from a technical perspective how it would affect the ride.

Owen

Comment

Okay so on inspection there appears to be very little gap between the top wishbones and the downtravel bump stops. This makes sense as the front is basically fully cranked on the torsion bars, despite the fact they haven't provided much lift.

Aiming to switch them out for a good pair which haven't sagged, thus providing the required front end lift without the need for them to be cranked up so much - should in turn giving the bump stops greater clearance off the wishbones, and hopefully a smoother ride.

In principle this makes sense as regards the symptoms - worn - yet cranked high - torsion bars resulting in repeated bump stop impact on downtravel, giving the harsh ride I'm feeling from the chassis.

With the reduced spring rate it's also not responding correctly to bumps and dips, resulting in inconsistent wobbles, and crashy symptoms of the wishbones banging off the bump stops. This may have only been felt as an issue with the heavier tyres, causing the impacts to be felt greater and quicker.

At least I think?!?

Owen

Comment

Just to update this before anything shuts down...

Torsion bars replaced and problem solved.. Thanks to Tony for his hard work this week.

Owen

Comment

Working...
            X