Help with gearbox!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with gearbox!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone, was hoping for a bit of wisdom regarding some screeching noises which appear to be coming from the auto box! Oil level was low and dark! Drained and topped up but noises still there , had no choice but to drive her 40 mile round trip to work today as the bloody exhaust fell off the camper yesterday!! Noise seemed a bit worse now!! Going to drain again later as I only put a few litres through it .Best wheels I've ever had and want to keep it forever!Any advice would be good.

Dark oil is not a good sign...indicates either heat burning the oil or clutch and break band wear.
    Screeching rather suggests the clutches or brake bands have worn out or possibly stator sprag clutch in the torque converter...all of which would indicate its new gearbox time...or rebuild time.

I hope to be wrong.

How did it drive going to work?

Comment

Thanks for some advice andyverran .Got a friend having a look tomorrow will share your thoughts, I'd go for a new gearbox if required as I want to keep her on the road, been processing waste veg oil for 7years and it's saved me a small fortune whilst putting a smile on my face every time I drive it.

Comment

There is a gearbox in the FB page..from a 1994 V6...might be worth looking into

Comment

Thanks again Andy , my mate dident really want to know! Too big a job! The car drives fine but I feel like I'm just waiting for it to go bang! Is there any one out there willing to change the gearbox for me, otherwise may think about finding another and keeping mine for spares. Can tow it a reasonable distance.

Comment

Yeah, the gearbox is kinda heavy...

Comment

If I keep driving it and the box fails could the wheels lock up?? I need to use it on Tuesday and I'm a bit paranoid of what could happen!

Comment

More likely you'll loose drive...

Comment

you say you drained and topped up. Exactly how much oil did you put back in and did you check the level with the engine running?
                  www.overfab.uk

Comment

Hi , about half a washing up bowl came out I guess about 3-4liters, and roughly the same back in. Dident check with engine running ! Checked when hot and looked ok , the next morning checked cold and was very low topped up again until it looked ok , haven't had a chance to look at it since. I intend to flush and fill again today as I got another 5 lt yesterday. Will check level with engine running will this give me a better reading?thanks for your interest.

Comment

Originally posted by cold water surfer View Post
                      Hi , about half a washing up bowl came out I guess about 3-4liters, and roughly the same back in. Dident check with engine running ! Checked when hot and looked ok , the next morning checked cold and was very low topped up again until it looked ok , haven't had a chance to look at it since. I intend to flush and fill again today as I got another 5 lt yesterday. Will check level with engine running will this give me a better reading?thanks for your interest.
                      Ok sounds like the problem is still low oil level, you have to check the gearbox oil level with the engine running. Start the engine and cycle through the gears, slip it back into park and leave engine running. Remove gearbox dipstick and check oil level, I think you will find the oil level is still low.
                      www.overfab.uk

Comment

Yep you were right still low, I heated engine and drained out all oil , left it for an hour or so. It took 5lt before it showed bang on the mark whilst checking it with the engine hot and running.After a spin down the beach the noises are still there and seem worse in 1-2 whilst coasting , the car drives fine but the gearbox sounds like it's dying!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cold water surfer View Post
                          Yep you were right still low, I heated engine and drained out all oil , left it for an hour or so. It took 5lt before it showed bang on the mark whilst checking it with the engine hot and running.After a spin down the beach the noises are still there and seem worse in 1-2 whilst coasting , the car drives fine but the gearbox sounds like it's dying!!!
                          Damn thats a shame, but its always worth trying the cheaper option fix before hand.Did you notice any traces of metal in the old oil when you drained it?
                          www.overfab.uk

Comment

Yeah dam shame, but not giving up on her yet. May have found someone to put a replacement in. Used an old engine oil tub which had a little oil/water so no metal seen. My own bloody fault hadn't checked the level in ages !!

Comment

Quick update , drove 60 round trip today noises on first half none on way home , checked oil ,still bang on but now there seems a sort of judder/shake at faster speed! Feels at the rear. Gears work smooth and I'm quite confused now!!any ideas ?is this another stage of the box dying?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X