Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering alignment and steering wheel

Folks,

Had a little search and didn't turn up any clues...

My wheel was not central on the column and the flaky indicators that resulted are driving me mental, so I've lined up the wheel with the column marks (indicators now flick of for the same amount of steering input in both directions).

The wheels now point off to the left (about 90 degrees of turn on the steering wheel to correct it), I looked to turn the track rods in/out on each side to bring it back to straight ahead, but there's no adjustment left in them.

I measured the length of the arms and with my tape they're 340mm (manual says 328.5 as a starting point) and both are the same.

what have I not thought of?

Pitman arm is aligned to it's marks (not that I expected that to have moved but checked anyway).
    Last edited by andyverran; 11 April 2015, 13:52.

If it's driving as it should and the only issue was the not centred steering wheel, it might be easier to disconnect the steering box from the column and then centre the steering wheel, then just bolt it all back together

Comment

Cheers fella, I was thinking that might be the way...wanted to get a second opinion first!

Comment

Glad to help, all for the easy fix, lol

Comment

Originally posted by RebelV8 View Post
          Glad to help, all for the easy fix, lol
          Quite...

For now I have put the wheel on as near to level when driven as I can get and still be in the centre to the box total movement. Next free day is not for a week so I'll move the column then I recon...

...thanks for the second opinion.

Comment

You're welcome, think I might be about to do the same thing on my charger, I converted from power steering to manual, pre alignment checks look as though the wheel entering might be out by an inch or two, ho-hum........

Comment

Doh...don't you just hate that!

Comment

Yeah, lol

Comment

Working...
                X