Speedo conversion when imported.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo conversion when imported.

I wonder if folks know exactly what method is used to convert the speedo to mph from km/h??

In another thread that referred to it someone thought there was a sticker put over the speedo to show the correct reading.

Looking at this one all I can see is a small black sticker that has been put over the k of km/h. The speedo numbers go up to 160 which I assume was the max in km/h.

The dealer said something like "its all converted to read right, even the mileometer reading is corrected back to miles".

Must test it on the road but I can't see how it has been converted. Surely if the numbers are all still the same there must have been a gear changed somewhere in the speedo drive??

And what about the tyres fitted before it was sold...31x10.50 x 15. These look bigger than normal so will they affect how it reads if it has been set for standard (215x15?).

David

I have heard of the addition of a gearbox to convert the speedo. Most of ours have had the faces changed and the odometer is still in km.

The 31x10.5x15 can change the speedo reading slightly. But it all depends on how accurate it was in the first place and whether the original fitment of tyres was metric or not. The only way to check it accurately is with GPS!

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

You mean finally this is the reason I can tell the good lady for buying a GPS!

David

Comment

Originally posted by DroveRunner

David

Yep sounds like you got a little convertor fitted to the gearbox, speedo face all remains the same and reads in mph. I fitted 31x10.5 to mine and with GPS it works out my speedo reads about 5-7% less than I am actually doing.
        Say not always what you know, but always know what you say.

My 4x4
        My choice
        Back off

Comment

Sounds like a good idea to me. I think I am gonna have to do the same

Originally posted by DroveRunner

David
          If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

"I wonder if folks know exactly what method is used to convert the speedo to mph from km/h??

In another thread that referred to it someone thought there was a sticker put over the speedo to show the correct reading.

Looking at this one all I can see is a small black sticker that has been put over the k of km/h. The speedo numbers go up to 160 which I assume was the max in km/h.

The dealer said something like "its all converted to read right, even the mileometer reading is corrected back to miles".

Must test it on the road but I can't see how it has been converted. Surely if the numbers are all still the same there must have been a gear changed somewhere in the speedo drive??"
            When I bought mine two weeks ago, I was informed the speedo is recalibrated (its electronic apparently) during the ESVA on a rolling road to reflect correct MPH readings.

The mileage will still read in kms as any attempt to change this is illegal and constitutes a clocking violation. If your dealer has done this and you dont inform the police, you could find yourself liable, and subject to prosecution.

I am not a Police Officer, but if I was you I would cover my rear by clarifying with your dealer and the police.

Comment

If it has been recalibrated then the original "mileage" will be km's and the mileage after recalibration wil be miles. The nearest you will get to knowing the exact mileage is to find the oddometer reading at delivery and assume that to be all km's [only a few miles from the ESVA to you collecting it], covert that to miles and add the mileage you've done since.

[SIZE=7][COLOR=YellowGreen][SIZE=5][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The difference between the men and the boys .................... the price of their toys ![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Speedo conversion

The speedo is converted using a electronic adaptor thats wired into the harness at the back of the dash.Everything then reads in miles.The only problem with some of the convertors used, is they don`t have a output to the gearbox, which can cause some problems with the shift speeds with a automatic.Apparently, its because the box gets a signal from the speedo in kph, but the box is reading the true road speed,which is now in mph.This can lead to erratic gearchanges basically because the box is a bit confused.Like wot I am.You can get a convertor which is programmed for your specific model from this mob,[url]www.ncs-systems.com. Like wot I did.Cost me £75 delivered.At the time,they were looking into being able to switch back to kph with a switch,for if you went abroad with your surf because the original speedo face has only one set of numbers on it.You would`nt have to have bits of tape on it then for French speed limlts ,like wot I did !.Hope that helps.
                Last edited by stormrider; 17 September 2004, 21:25. Reason: web site incorrect.
                Don`t get mad,get even !

Comment

Originally posted by stormrider
                  The speedo is converted using a electronic adaptor thats wired into the harness at the back of the dash.Everything then reads in miles.The only problem with some of the convertors used, is they don`t have a output to the gearbox, which can cause some problems with the shift speeds with a automatic.Apparently, its because the box gets a signal from the speedo in kph, but the box is reading the true road speed,which is now in mph.This can lead to erratic gearchanges basically because the box is a bit confused.Like wot I am.You can get a convertor which is programmed for your specific model from this mob,[url]www.ncs-systems.com. Like wot I did.Cost me £75 delivered.At the time,they were looking into being able to switch back to kph with a switch,for if you went abroad with your surf because the original speedo face has only one set of numbers on it.You would`nt have to have bits of tape on it then for French speed limlts ,like wot I did !.Hope that helps.
                  I have just found this problem after spending over £1000 on having 2 new gearboxes fitted and only recently being informed of this chip converter. If I got the one specifically for my surf...would I encounter any problems like before? Or is it better to leave it with a new face on and no converter> Would this pass the MOT or do I need the mod?
                  When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ninja_king
                    I have just found this problem after spending over £1000 on having 2 new gearboxes fitted and only recently being informed of this chip converter. If I got the one specifically for my surf...would I encounter any problems like before? Or is it better to leave it with a new face on and no converter> Would this pass the MOT or do I need the mod?
                    Speedo isn't part of the MOT, so you'd pass even with the original face in KM/H. There is no real reason to get a chip or gearbox except for neatness. Personally, I'd just put a MPH face on and leave the odo in KMs.

Comment

mine was chipped (so both speedo & odo read in miles)on import

It came with a BIMTA certificate stating the mileage in KM's when it arrived, the equilivant conversion to miles and all signed by very important sounding people.

I think this excuses the "clocking" comment vut I'd be a bit suspicious if I didn't have the bit of paper.

hawaii
                      I'm not overweight, I'm undertall!

Comment

Originally posted by Sancho
                        Speedo isn't part of the MOT, so you'd pass even with the original face in KM/H. There is no real reason to get a chip or gearbox except for neatness. Personally, I'd just put a MPH face on and leave the odo in KMs.
                        Thats what I have done now but not realising there was a chip in there it cost me a fortune thinking there was a problem with the gearbox when all I had to do was remove the stupid chip.
                        When the going gets tough...The Surf gets going!!!

Comment

The chip on a surf does not need a gearbox output on both of mine I have fitted a switch to convert between mph and kmh it makes no diffirence to the gearbox shifts the last one did over 50,000 miles a lot of it towing a large caravan with no problems with the gearbox.
                          To fit a switch you will need a three way toggle switch from maplins find the pulse wires on the converter switch blue and yellow on the most widely used Cartek chips cut the blue wire extend the speedo side down to the center connector on the switch extend the other side of the blue wire and connect it to one of the 2 remaining outer terminals, join a wire to the yellow input wire on the unit and connect to the remaining unused end terminal, most of these switches have 6 terminals you will only be using 3 down one side.
                          One way on the switch will give you MPH one way will give you KMH and in the middle the speedo will not work at all not that you lot with Sat Nav will use that position to avoid adding miles will you.
                          ionic SURFactant

Comment

Working...
                          X