rear drive shaft/differential leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear drive shaft/differential leak

Hi all. this is the underside of my 93' 3.0l surf. My oil leak is coming from the flange as it is the highest point of the oil stain. Is this the possible source and a common fault or have I missed something else. It can't be the drain plug as the oil has moved up and forward from the direction of travel. see pic.
    Any thoughts before I have a go or put it in a garage. (this is the first mechanical issue in ten years. not bad eh!) Thanks
    Attached Files

just found old thread (2005) from tonyn and delboy. will follow them instructions.

Comment

got to a pinion seal on mine sometime (£6 from roughtrax i think)...post how you get on with your fix...might be handy.

Comment

breather was blocked, fitted a short length of hose as a quick fix. see attachment which shows the type of breather cap I had on. Any suggestions what I could replace it with? just waiting for my seal to arrive. I had planned to go to the lakes this weekend.
        Attached Files

Comment

Interesting, I better check mine then....

Comment

Think a chap on HPOC (ecoman is his username I think) does breather kits for wading and I think they use a 1/8 bsp john guess elbow in the diffs might be worth having a look or check Milner/roughtrax for replacements 👍

Comment

New seal back in, jobs a goodin. made my own tool to hold the flange while I loosen the pinion nut. Got a flat bar drilled two 10mm hole measuring 60mm between centres. used a rough stone on my bench grinder to form the rebate. I put the centre nut back on using the same number of turns it took to come off. I will drive it tomorrow. The breather cap is a ?? looks like someone has used the wrong thread. does anyone know what thread/pitch it should be.
              included pic of old and new seal, note how it sits proud. It fits so I presume it's right.
              Attached Files

Comment

roughtrax has got the breather I have. the thread on mine has been partially stripped I hope the thread on the rear axle is ok. If I know the exact thread I can chase it with a tap. Any answers?
                thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

1/8 BSPT I'm pretty sure mate,
                  Unless someone (most on here) with more knowledge can shed more light on it😊

Comment

got a new one from roughtrax. I couldn't screw it in my hand so it may have cut into the existing thread. did not sit fully home but enough to grip and hold measured the thread M9.6 x 0.9 which is british standard thread (found on a Japanese car?)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X