Power Steering Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering Box

Hi, before I start I'll just say how great and helpful this forum has been for me over the last few years.
    So, steering. I have looked a lot on the site about this. My KZN130 developed that vague dodgy steering wander that has been described my many. I've changed everything - upper and lower ball joints, inner and outer track rod ends, steering idler arm and added a rancho steering damper. It flew through an MOT last week and I was told the pitman arm was fine.
    Left with the box I tightened it up all the way and still there seemed to be excessive movement when I gave the steering rack a waggle by hand. I slackened it off a bit anyway to play it safe. I'm still not happy with it, it seems like I have to move the wheel too much before anything happens.
    Thanks for reading. Recon box is it? Or maybe there is a scrap one out there for me to buy - cos these things aint cheap!

Or maybe there is someone in S.Wales who can take a look at it for me? I will gladly pay a surf
    mechanic but I don't trust random garages with this truck!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Malleenos View Post
      Or maybe there is someone in S.Wales who can take a look at it for me? I will gladly pay a surf
      Yep, you are absolutely right. There are some independent mechanics who love surfs, some are surf owners themselves...and they know how to work on them. Others however don't have a clue and will butcher your truck, and leave you with a hefty bill.
      Since you are in South Wales (and I assume it's not New South Wales) why don't you give Bushwacker a shout, you know, the guy on the forum, the one with the short fuse...

Comment

Originally posted by tashtego View Post
        ...........the guy on the forum, the one with the short fuse...

Not a short fuse, more of an intolerance of plebs, sloppy grammar and ungratefulness.

Comment

What size wheels/tyres are on the truck?

Have you re-newed the idler arm bushes? Although if they were worn, they would have been noticed at the MOT?

Comment

Originally posted by BUSHWHACKER View Post
            Not a short fuse, more of an intolerance of plebs, sloppy grammar and ungratefulness.
            My grammar is good...

Comment

Rag joint?
              Eat.Sleep.Surf.Repeat.

Comment

Back in december I fitted a whole new idler arm from roughtrax and that seemed to help a little as the old one was floppy as anything. That was the start of a crazy three month tour of the highlands... The truck gradually became more and more tiring to drive - requiring keen attention at all times to keep it on the damn road. In the middle of nowhere I installed the bigger steering damper and I kept the standard old one on too for good measure. This must put more strain on the pump and box and it still didn't really help.
                I'm running standard 265/70/r15 AT tyres with slight negative camber that needs fixing.
                There are no leaks from the box so maybe I should look at the rag joint fix. I've read some good write ups about it on here. I'm no mechanic but I could give it a go!

Comment

After more clicking and interneting I see Bushwhacker was selling spacers for the rag joint. Do you have one left or am I too late?...

Comment

After more clicking and interneting I see Bushwhacker was selling spacers for the rag joint. Do you have one left or am I too late?...
                    Yes, I still have a couple left.

Comment

Excellent, how much and how can I pay you? It sounds like the last thing I can do before getting the box looked at.

Comment

Beeing a forum noob I can't work out how to message Bushwhaker about getting one of those rag joint spacers. I'm desperate to get on and fix the truck and get back on the road again! I can always collect if that is easier

Comment

Hi mate,
                          I've got one here for you, they're a fiver plus post.
                          You can collect anytime if you prefer, NP one one five JY is my postcode, just look for the house with a few Surfs parked outside!

Cheers, Vince.

febsnowman@talktalk dot net if you need ping me an E-mail.

Comment

Up-date on the steering - after visiting bushwhacker (he fitted the rag joint plate for me in no time) the drive was noticeably improved. Then when I got back to Cardiff I loosened off the steering box again and everything seems good again. A real joy to be able to drive the truck without sh@+ing myself all the time!! Far more relaxing.. I'll still fit new front shocks to help it all when funds good.
                            Rag joint fix - well recommended!!
                            Cheers Vince

Now the truck loves me again I'm treating it to a shiny new ally radiator today.

Comment

Good to know you have it all sorted.

I wouldn't mind a rag joint spacer if you have one going Vince.

Comment

Working...
                              X