LOST OIL, Where from??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOST OIL, Where from??

I have just become the proud owner of a 93 surf 2.4 diesel auto, had it checked over by a good mechanic who changed the oil and filter for me at the same time, underneath was bone dry at the time no leaks etc, after 700 miles on route to France I noticed oil seeping from somewhere near the autobox/rear of engine, all levels still ok and no lights on dash! It has now stopped leaking!! Has anyone any ideas??

I suspect that the oil was spilt from changing the oil filter and it worked it's way down the back of the engine and seeped out. Especially as it has now stopped.

Rich.
    If life's an uphill struggle then downhill from now on can't be that bad?!

Comment

Mind you 700 miles........check the autobox oil levels as well and make sure the dipstick tube is all the way into the box and sealing.

Comment

Will do thanks for that, is there anywhere other than the engine and autobox where I could lose oil from on the front end?

Comment

Can come from the front dif but not at the back of the engine.

The other thing that normally fools most people is when the airconditioning has been on and has been switched off, water will drip down and you think that you have an oil leak.

Stick your finger in it and smell it, you'll know which it is then.

Comment

Originally posted by rich
            Can come from the front dif but not at the back of the engine.

The other thing that normally fools most people is when the airconditioning has been on and has been switched off, water will drip down and you think that you have an oil leak.

Stick your finger in it and smell it, you'll know which it is then.
            Black oil - engine
            Red/brown oil - diff , power steering , gearbox
            Brown/black and thick oil and smells like cat pee - diff oil

My tips on oil ID

Rick
            Rick...Member of 1st Gen club. ONE LIFE ... GET ONE !!

Comment

Working...
            X